Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 06:10:00 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: calm the fuck down everyone  (Read 4094 times)
ineededausername (OP)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 02:24:16 AM

I was panicking a few minutes ago but asked around.  The issue will be over in a few hours, and any crash will be momentary.  Only 11 blocks or so were affected and it'll all be over very quickly.  By tomorrow morning, we are back to business as usual.

Maybe we see a temporary dip, but that'll resolve eventually, because this issue is not really a big deal except for now.  We don't see many hard forks and I'm sure the devs will be much more cautious in the future after this has happened.

(BFL)^2 < 0
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1227

Away on an extended break

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 02:25:43 AM
Last edit: March 12, 2013, 02:44:33 AM by John (John K.)

I was panicking a few minutes ago but asked around.  The issue will be over in a few hours, and any crash will be momentary.  Only 11 blocks or so were affected and it'll all be over very quickly.  By tomorrow morning, we are back to business as usual.

Maybe we see a temporary dip, but that'll resolve eventually, because this issue is not really a big deal except for now.  We don't see many hard forks and I'm sure the devs will be much more cautious in the future after this has happened.
This. Seriously, I'm just kicking myself for not having any standby cash in MTGOX.

The original post lacked info for "regular users".  Here it is:

(1) If you are a "regular user" (not a miner), the best thing is to do nothing and wait a couple hours.  Upgrading, downgrading, whining, FUD, etc, will make no difference.
(2) If you are a "regular user", you don't need to upgrade downgrade or anything.  Just chill out
(3) Regardless of who you are, your transactions are not dead, your coins are not lost.  They will just temporarily be held up.  If you sent a transaction within the last few hours, it may take a few more hours before it's sorted out.
(4) If you insist on processing transactions right now it's probably best to wait 20+ confirmations.  It's just due diligence though ... an attacker would still need a tremendous amount of mining power, quick thinking, and a victim willing to part with a lot of BTC.
(5) By tomorrow this will be in the past and everything will appear to be normal again.  If you slept through this, you'd never know that anything happend (except for the price drop).

Let me reiterate, your coins are not at risk, your transactions are not lost.  It'll just take some time for the network to "iron itself out."  Everything will be okay.
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 02:30:36 AM

I was panicking a few minutes ago but asked around.  The issue will be over in a few hours, and any crash will be momentary.  Only 11 blocks or so were affected and it'll all be over very quickly.  By tomorrow morning, we are back to business as usual.

Maybe we see a temporary dip, but that'll resolve eventually, because this issue is not really a big deal except for now.  We don't see many hard forks and I'm sure the devs will be much more cautious in the future after this has happened.
This. Seriously, I'm just kicking myself for not having any standby cash in MTGOX.

Yup. Virtex went all the way down to 35! I could've made a killing.
NamelessOne
Legendary

Activity: 840

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 02:32:11 AM

There is also the issue of it NOT breaking through 50 and people panicing from that. This 'bug' issue only became public after the price started dropping, thus making the drop more severe. The combo isn't fun, but I think it would have been going down to some degree a anyway.
byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 02:33:15 AM

Mehhhhh bad bad news. This shakes confidence in the whole network. Bad in technical sense, very bad in psychological sense. Cheap coins for those willing to STILL BELIEVE.

ineededausername (OP)

Activity: 784

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 02:33:59 AM

confidence in the whole network. Bad in technical sense, very bad in psychological sense.

see, there's the problem.  this whole thing is based on emotions.

(BFL)^2 < 0
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 02:34:01 AM

I'm kicking myself for not having funds in BTC-e!

By the way, I see this as a huge, enormous, unbelievably fucking huge deal.  This is completely different from a scam or a hack, this is an "accident" that just froze the whole fucking economy.

To demonstrate why this is a huge fucking deal, consider yourself in two scenarios:

1)  You are a Bitcoin "Big Dog" holding onto >10,000 BTC and you see, "URGENT:  Chain fork" on your client.  When the network reorganizes itself, how do you respond?

2)  You are a wealthy investor and trader.  You've heard about this Bitcoin thing and are amazed at its performance over the past few years, and you've become excited upon hearing that soon, exchanges such as CoinLab will allow you to purchase BTC in very large chunks and store them securely (i.e. safe from hacks/theft, etc.).  But, after hearing about the recent Bitcoin fork, how confident would you be in the safety of your future investment?
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2013, 02:34:08 AM

This was 100% from the issue at hand. I personally sold everything I had on Gox before it really went public. It was going on in IRC for half an hour before it was anywhere else. The dumps are 100% because of the technical malfunction.

The market will be oversold soon though so look for cheap coins tomorrow :>

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 02:35:17 AM

By the way, I see this as a huge, enormous, unbelievably fucking huge deal.  This is completely different from a scam or a hack, this is an "accident" that just froze the whole fucking economy.

To demonstrate why this is a huge fucking deal, consider yourself in two scenarios:

1)  You are a Bitcoin "Big Dog" holding onto >10,000 BTC and you see, "URGENT:  Chain fork" on your client.  When the network reorganizes itself, how do you respond?

2)  You are a wealthy investor and trader.  You've heard about this Bitcoin thing and are amazed at its performance over the past few years, and you've become excited upon hearing that soon, exchanges such as CoinLab will allow you to purchase BTC in very large chunks and store them securely (i.e. safe from hacks/theft, etc.).  But, after hearing about the recent Bitcoin fork, how confident would you be in the safety of your future investment?

Bitcoin will still have far less downtime than fiat banks.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
the joint
Legendary

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 02:37:20 AM

Bitcoin will still have far less downtime than fiat banks.

It's not just downtime.  It's a clusterfuck due to all transactions that will inevitably be reversed.  I guarantee you a bunch of people lose a lot of money from this.

Fortunately for me, I was able to sell some LTC at .0115 BTC  Cheesy
Nemesis

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 02:37:29 AM

confidence in the whole network. Bad in technical sense, very bad in psychological sense.

see, there's the problem.  this whole thing is based on emotions.

Its not emotions dumbass.

What the fck dont you understand ? chanting and throwing tantrum for price keep increasing everyday? still has no fcking clue thats not a sustainable ecomony.

The price of BTC is based on confidences ppl give to it. Now thats not gonna be the same confident level.
chiropteran

Activity: 348

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2013, 02:39:34 AM

It's not just downtime.  It's a clusterfuck due to all transactions that will inevitably be reversed.  I guarantee you a bunch of people lose a lot of money from this.

No transactions are being reversed at all.  Where are you getting this false information from?

fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 02:42:12 AM

No transactions are being reversed at all.  Where are you getting this false information from?

what about the block rewards for the mined blocks that are now going to be defunct? does that count as lost money?
sometimes developers need to step back and think things through.. and they cannot do that while furiously typing on irc.
it will happen when they lie down in bed and think.
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 02:43:16 AM

He isn't getting it, he's spreading it.
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2013, 02:44:29 AM

The only ones who will actually lose bitcoins over this are the miners mining the wrong chain. It's highly likely that for everyone else, everything will be okay in a few hours. The value of bitcoins took a hit though, how big of a hit, remains to be seen.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
str4wm4n
Legendary

Activity: 1611

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 02:44:56 AM

the joint
Legendary

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 02:48:56 AM

I didn't mean a rollback.
chiropteran

Activity: 348

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2013, 02:51:26 AM

what about the block rewards for the mined blocks that are now going to be defunct? does that count as lost money?

What about them?  No, it's not lost money.  Mining pools have mined orphanned blocks sicne the start, which appear to be winners but don't actually reward any coins.  It's part of the game and the cost of doing business, a block reward isn't even  counted until 120 confirmations- at average of 10 minutes per confirmation that is 20 hours.

Translation: there have been exactly ZERO rewards for mined blocks that may be affected by this problem.

Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 02:54:17 AM

In anticipation of someone trying last week's dumping shenigans once again, I placed a low ball bid ($10 below market value) and have just seen my order fulfilled.  Surprised me a little.  Still, I expect to make a healthy profit once sanity resumes.

CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 02:59:00 AM

In anticipation of someone trying last week's dumping shenigans once again, I placed a low ball bid ($10 below market value) and have just seen my order fulfilled.  Surprised me a little.  Still, I expect to make a healthy profit once sanity resumes.

I had an old low ball bid fill too.  Actually I would have pulled it if I had the chance but whatever, too late now.  Maybe me not knowing about this fork until it was too late will turn out to be a good thing.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: