Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 04:21:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: calm the fuck down everyone  (Read 4094 times)
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 02:59:53 AM

There is also the issue of it NOT breaking through 50 and people panicing from that. This 'bug' issue only became public after the price started dropping, thus making the drop more severe. The combo isn't fun, but I think it would have been going down to some degree a anyway.

The issue was most likely communicated to certain community members before it was made public, so that these could stand first in the que to sell out to secure profits if needed.
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 03:01:46 AM

There is also the issue of it NOT breaking through 50 and people panicing from that. This 'bug' issue only became public after the price started dropping, thus making the drop more severe. The combo isn't fun, but I think it would have been going down to some degree a anyway.

The issue was most likely communicated to certain community members before it was made public, so that these could stand first in the que to sell out to secure profits if needed.

Well, that just means if you were on irc or not. At least one moderator sold before it became news here. He knew it was best to log onto gox before coming here and telling the chumps. Why does that sound so familiar? Heh. Read the news about wall st and banks eh?
mccorvic

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 03:02:39 AM

Well, that just means if you were on irc or not. At least one moderator sold before it became news here. He knew it was best to log onto gox before coming here and telling the chumps.

Conspiracy theories! I love 'em!

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
fcmatt
Legendary

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 03:03:54 AM

This was 100% from the issue at hand. I personally sold everything I had on Gox before it really went public. It was going on in IRC for half an hour before it was anywhere else. The dumps are 100% because of the technical malfunction.

The market will be oversold soon though so look for cheap coins tomorrow :>

Here ya go. In thus very thread. Ugh. He aint a moderator. My bad. So conspiracy game on then!
Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 03:12:07 AM

I had an old low ball bid fill too.  Actually I would have pulled it if I had the chance but whatever, too late now.  Maybe me not knowing about this fork until it was too late will turn out to be a good thing.

I only now just read about the network fork issue.  I had the low ball bid ($37) in on the assumption someone would try wild trading swings again and by the time they start happening it's too late to place orders (MtGox chokes, Live stream dies, etc).  It's also too late to pull bids if things really turn sour.  Risky game.

I've been lucky with my bid as I'm sitting on a 15%+ paper profit.  Question now is, will the market go back to $45 or so or take another dump.  Decisions, decisions.
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 05:13:47 AM

I've been lucky with my bid as I'm sitting on a 15%+ paper profit.  Question now is, will the market go back to $45 or so or take another dump.  Decisions, decisions.

It is never wrong to take a profit.
SaintFlow

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

The first is by definition not flawed.

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 05:18:39 AM

i would love to calm down - but when i woke up to the party that happend all the cheap coins where already traded
and i am therefore quite mad! So is it wrong to FUD a bit more?

don't let me make you question your assumptions
GeoRW

Activity: 350
Merit: 257

Trust No One

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 05:37:59 AM

by recent more intensive adoption bitcoin started to hit some of its limits. I expect more problems in the future if bitcoin continues to get more and more new users aboard. It's still beta software and not prepared for large transaction volumes.
fcmatt
Legendary

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 05:39:32 AM

by recent more intensive adoption bitcoin started to hit some of its limits. I expect more problems in the future if bitcoin continues to get more and more new users aboard. It's still beta software and not prepared for large transaction volumes.

Intensive adoption? That is a nice way to spin satoshi dice spam.
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2013, 05:44:01 AM

Pipe the fuck down people!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EldZB85l6bU

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 05:51:00 AM

The important question is not what we here think, but how tomorrow's news will affect potential new users' views and decisions.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
zebedee
Donator

Activity: 668
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 08:24:01 AM

It's not just downtime.  It's a clusterfuck due to all transactions that will inevitably be reversed.  I guarantee you a bunch of people lose a lot of money from this.

Fortunately for me, I was able to sell some LTC at .0115 BTC  Cheesy

No transactions are being reversed at all.  Where are you getting this false information from?

He doesn't understand, clearly.
throughput

Activity: 158
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 11:41:34 AM

The important question is not what we here think, but how tomorrow's news will affect potential new users' views and decisions.

Hey, people, he is right btw, so what are you all talking about?
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 01:12:39 PM

Fairly simple - does not matter if the issue is completely resolved (as it is). Speculators were sitting on the fence below 50. Even a slight wind blow in a wrong direction would've mattered. So my short term direction prediction - down to $34. My speculative coins sold at 47, buy orders at 34. If suddenly bitcoin crowd does not display herd behaviour and turns bullish instead, I will be happy for how much our little market has matured and how it is much more panic-resistant than Wall street. But I doubt it.

i am satoshi
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 01:20:58 PM

This was 100% from the issue at hand. I personally sold everything I had on Gox before it really went public. It was going on in IRC for half an hour before it was anywhere else. The dumps are 100% because of the technical malfunction.

The market will be oversold soon though so look for cheap coins tomorrow :>

I bought them. I don't regret a minute for my purchase, because there are bigger things going on. If everything goes as planned, this will take the price to around $30 enabling me and my friends to purchase 50% more bitcoins in the following weeks. I will be buying all the way down.

Ahhh....

You should never tell your actual intention. Rewrite:

Lucky that I also sold most of my coins on your advice, pal. The ramifications of this fork are immense, it is good that not many know about the real situation yet. I get to unload most of the remaining stash maybe at $30 or $25, a good price given the fact that there are no buyers left. I will be selling all the way down, it does not matter which price I get because BTC is doomed anyway.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
BitcoinAshley

Activity: 448

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 01:21:10 PM

Intensive adoption? That is a nice way to spin satoshi dice spam.

Lol. As it is, devs are dragging their feet with the blocksize issue. And many feel that we'd need at least a year of notice before implementing a hard fork. With the current 0.7/0.8 issue, we're going to need a hard fork much sooner than that. Without SatoshiSpam dustcoin transactions, we have even LESS of an incentive to fix these problems (It is argued by many that raising the blocksize limit would help tx fees to price themselves in, making the SatoshiSpam unprofitable.)
So, personally, I'd RATHER have SatoshiSpam dustcoining the network because it gives us a reason to act sooner rather than later. If it wasn't SD it's be another website or a group of websites. So the fact that someone's doing it isn't the issue, it's the fact that doing it is profitable for various reasons. Sure, people should stop using it, and miners should delay or refuse to accept dust tx with no fees, but fixing these issues with the network is another part of the solution. Having a tiger chasing you is a really good reason to run ;-)

the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 06:53:23 PM

It's not just downtime.  It's a clusterfuck due to all transactions that will inevitably be reversed.  I guarantee you a bunch of people lose a lot of money from this.

No transactions are being reversed at all.  Where are you getting this false information from?

You don't understand what I meant, clearly.  I had to resend a transaction that was reversed post-fork.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 12:54:35 AM

You don't understand what I meant, clearly.  I had to resend a transaction that was reversed post-fork.

If you had a little more patience, it would have been reconfirmed in the new chain.  There was just a very large backlog that is still being cleared.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
AndyRossy

Activity: 448

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 12:58:42 AM

If you had a little more patience, it would have been reconfirmed in the new chain.  There was just a very large backlog that is still being cleared.

- The original problem of TX's building up in mempools still exists - if things get crazy, we can expect out of mem errors, and then dare not think of the consequences for the network.
- A double spend was achieved, some people argue the "mechant" should have ignored the 2nd spend or similar, but it happened.

Whilst, ppl saying all calm down, the fact that the fix did not work is awful long term, and must be addressed asap.  And a hard fork happened, is pretty terrible.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 01:35:30 AM

- The original problem of TX's building up in mempools still exists - if things get crazy, we can expect out of mem errors, and then dare not think of the consequences for the network.
- A double spend was achieved, some people argue the "mechant" should have ignored the 2nd spend or similar, but it happened.

Whilst, ppl saying all calm down, the fact that the fix did not work is awful long term, and must be addressed asap.  And a hard fork happened, is pretty terrible.

Cool story.  I have no fucking idea what it had to do with my previous comment though.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: