Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:03:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2016-06-21] Bitfinex exchange platform brought down indefinitely due to datacen  (Read 436 times)
BitcoinXio (OP)

Activity: 285
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2016, 12:28:12 PM

Right when trading is at it’s most feverish, with bitcoin volume skyrocketing over the past week and now starting to correct itself, bitcoin exchange Bitfinex has suffered a severe outage taking down their entire platform indefinitely.

Read more: http://bitcoinx.io/news/articles/bitfinex-exchange-platform-brought-down-indefinitely-due-to-datacenter-issues/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
June 21, 2016, 02:22:02 PM

You know what really brought down Bitfinex?

NO FUCKING DISASTER RECOVERY PLAN.

You've got to be FUCKING kidding me, these guys were raking in 10k plus a DAY, and they couldn't afford control over their own network switching infrastructure? At least ONE more datacenter mirrored for hot-standby?

What are these FUCKING IDIOTS doing with their money, spending it on Ukranian hookers and Belgian coke?

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
richardsNY
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091

View Profile
June 21, 2016, 02:37:28 PM

You know what really brought down Bitfinex?

NO FUCKING DISASTER RECOVERY PLAN.

You've got to be FUCKING kidding me, these guys were raking in 10k plus a DAY, and they couldn't afford control over their own network switching infrastructure? At least ONE more datacenter mirrored for hot-standby?

What are these FUCKING IDIOTS doing with their money, spending it on Ukranian hookers and Belgian coke?

It's indeed very amateurish for such a large exchange, which also happens to be somewhat of the most important BTC/USD trading platform. Right now everything is working again. Hopefully this time it will stay working. Otherwise the price will get dumped below $600 if it goes out again.
yayayo
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1024

View Profile
June 21, 2016, 02:45:15 PM

That's why you don't keep your funds at exchanges. It's not the first time and it won't be the last that an exchange goes down. The Bitcoin exchanges are not as professionally managed as they should be if you consider their extremely high exposure to various risks. Of course, the central question is, if funds are affected or not.

Trading Bitcoin is a risky activity, not only due to the fact that most traders overestimate their abilities to generate a positive return. Trading Bitcoin at exchanges has the added risk of loosing your funds because of improper security management.

ya.ya.yo!

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
Karartma1
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1422

View Profile
June 21, 2016, 02:55:38 PM

From Finex twitter
We are not confident in the network stability of our datacenter so we have elected to take trading down for the time being.

Ok then I AM NOT confident in exchanging a single cent with you guys anymore since you proved yourselves to be a bunch of amateurs.

And, by the way, I totally agree with TraderTimm
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
June 22, 2016, 04:46:13 PM

From Finex twatter
We are not confident in the network stability of our datacenter so we have elected to take trading down for the time being.

Ok then I AM NOT confident in exchanging a single cent with you guys anymore since you proved yourselves to be a bunch of amateurs.

And, by the way, I totally agree with TraderTimm

That quote kills me. It means they have NO CONTROL over their switching infrastructure. That also means, if they are using virtual machines, that they possibly have a large attack surface from other colocated customers. Even if they have their own distinct servers, the fact that they didn't have ANY redundancy tells me we're dealing with amateurs.

Thanks for the 100-buck swoon, you fucking idiots. The fact that they tried to bring up their order book not once, but TWICE when it was still completely fucked is what tipped the game - from the initial red bar at 740 down to under 700 in SECONDS. I was watching the ticks come across, and that is EXACTLY how it happened.

Anyone who trades at that clown-car exchange deserves what happens, in my opinion. Starve these amateurs of their easy money and go somewhere else.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: