Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 08:44:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The "what we've learned" thread  (Read 1293 times)
Piper67 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 12:23:33 PM

Not sure if we need one, but hell, if we don't at least get a good post-mortem out of this shit, then it was all for nothing. So here go a few of my own:

1) Perhaps in the future devs should abstain from using words like EMERGENCY... URGENT... and so on. This is one of those times when less is more. A simple message saying users don't move your coins for a little while, miners revert to 0.7 until the blockchain catches up would have been enough.

2) The chain can fork, by accident, and things can go back to normal in a matter of hours. I still think that's a win.

3) MtGox doesn't give a rat's ass about Bitcoin... or at least not as much as it does about its own fees. I won't touch them again with a ten foot pole.

4) The rolling out of new versions, in the future, should be done differently (but we knew that, didn't we?)
elux
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 12:38:04 PM

1) Perhaps in the future devs should abstain from using words like EMERGENCY... URGENT... and so on. This is one of those times when less is more. A simple message saying users don't move your coins for a little while, miners revert to 0.7 until the blockchain catches up would have been enough.

The building was on fire, the house didn't burn down is thanks to "URGENT", "EMERGENCY" measures and prompt response by the firefighters. (Devs and pool ops).
kerogre256

Activity: 161
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 12:41:28 PM

LOL are you for real ? Do you think people who gamble, trade, buy with bitcoin check bitcoin dev forum just in case of fuck up ? How much money bitcoin bitpay, or ordinary peopol lost becouse of this ?
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1227

Away on an extended break

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 12:43:30 PM

LOL are you for real ? Do you think people who gamble, trade, buy with bitcoin check bitcoin dev forum just in case of fuck up ? How much money bitcoin bitpay, or ordinary peopol lost becouse of this ?
Uh, in case you didn't read, no transactions were lost at all during the fork.
klaus
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 12:44:52 PM

3) MtGox doesn't give a rat's ass about Bitcoin... or at least not as much as it does about its own fees. I won't touch them again with a ten foot pole.

why that?

should he suspend trading?
why?

its a total free market. deal with it or move.

bitmessage:BM-2D9c1oAbkVo96zDhTZ2jV6RXzQ9VG3A6f1​
threema:HXUAMT96
Piper67 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 12:45:51 PM

The building was on fire, the house didn't burn down is thanks to "URGENT", "EMERGENCY" measures and prompt response by the firefighters. (Devs and pool ops).

Hmmm... there were a few flames gone rogue in the kitchen, maybe. The building itself never caught fire. But my point was more along the lines of the need for calm and level-headedness, as opposed to knee jerk reactions. The actions of the dev team were spectacular... the discourse was a bit hyped.
Piper67 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 12:46:16 PM

why that?

should he suspend trading?
why?

its a total free market. deal with it or move.

Agreed... I move.
elux
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 12:57:42 PM

The actions of the dev team were spectacular... the discourse was a bit hyped.

I hope it has not escaped your attention that Bitcointalk Forum is a wretched hive of scum and villainy. Smiley

benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 03:10:29 PM

Wait so you're mad at MtGox for not suspending trading?

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
WinVery.com

Activity: 235

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 03:17:27 PM

Magic the gather online Xchange  Roll Eyes
DataPlumber

Activity: 126

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2013, 04:05:36 PM

I came to this thread to see what we learned.  And I guess the short answer is... nothing?  The only takeaway I got was, "be sure to unit test for cases you haven't yet imagined," which is a difficult takeaway to implement.

MtGox is neither a nanny nor a parent.  IMO MtGox does not have the authority to tell people that they can't make decisions based on fear, and as such a shutdown on trading was not only unwarranted, but probably unethical.  ("From a certain point of view."--B.Kenobi)  In completely unrelated news, I hear there's all kinds of money to be made standing as an intermediary between people and their irrational/emotional decision making.

Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 04:14:00 PM

Lets use "Intermediate Panic Mode" instead, or "Glitch in the MAtrix" or somthg.

I guess MtGox halting operations would have evoked suppressed memories of the big Gox hack of 2011, thus triggering an even more aggravated slide on the other exchanges, only to delay the crash.
bullioner

Activity: 166
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 04:18:31 PM

4) The rolling out of new versions, in the future, should be done differently (but we knew that, didn't we?)

New versions of what?  The protocol, or a particular implementation?  Very different things.  Oh no, whoops, they're not.  They're exactly the same thing because "the implementation is the protocol spec".
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 08:02:51 PM
Last edit: March 13, 2013, 12:46:42 AM by solex

50% of this thread is unlearning what we should already know!

Wrong. In Bitcoin we call it as it is! If there is an emergency then we want to quickly see notices from Pieter Wuille telling the truth. (Thanks Pieter!) Spin is for slimy politicians, big corporate apologists.

2) The chain can fork, by accident, and things can go back to normal in a matter of hours. I still think that's a win.
+1 Absolutely.

Wrong.  Mt.Gox behaved exactly as it should have done. They deserve praise by keeping their internal market open and allowing the market to give a verdict during events. To argue otherwise is to join the stone-throwers here:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2008/jul/17/pakistan.protest.shares

+1. This is a priority. There needs to be a plan where discussions are held with pool operators to ask/negotiate an upgrade timetable for each new version. It seems too informal. Such plans could be posted on the forum so everyone knows what is expected.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: