Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 04:50:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What can Pokereum DAO learn from 'The DAO'?  (Read 1158 times)
boomboom (OP)

Activity: 1068
Merit: 523

View Profile
June 22, 2016, 01:58:42 AM

A new decentralised Poker based DAO, 'Pokereum' , is launching soon. What can they learn from 'The DAO'?

What are the key ingredients for a successful DAO ... governance is one, code review is another, development funding, legal setup ... what else?

Can we specify (in theory) ALL the essential components for a successful DAO?

As a community we can't afford another Titanic sized failure, otherwise we risk killing the whole DAO & smart contract concept before it's had a chance to do any good in the world. What do future DAO projects need to be successful?

will the likely collapse of The DAO change plans for Pokereum?

some lessons on governance maybe

Nothing has changed!...everything they did wrong from; ineffective implementation of quorum voting rules, to implementing weird "dao-split" mechanisms to address 51% attack, where things that we came across, discuss, solved and worked on conceptually  since early 2014 before even Ethereum was live.

The last thing we did right was not to rush to be first by waiting to make sure we properly test and that our strategy is right where we can deploy in stages!

We even did a live simulation on the community without them realizing to test out incentives. Expect something soon

So yeah we preemptively determined the best way for a DAO create and run Dapps effectively. All those issues they had are things we talked about two years ago.

I am not sure public discussion would have had any weight with the "the DOA" . It was more beneficial to keep our heads down and show the world what we had when we make the announcement than to engage in endless debates!

kjadB

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 23, 2016, 09:56:18 AM

A new decentralised Poker based DAO, 'Pokereum' , is launching soon. What can they learn from 'The DAO'?

What are the key ingredients for a successful DAO ... governance is one, code review is another, development funding, legal setup ... what else?

As a community we can't afford another Titanic sized failure, otherwise we risk killing the whole DAO & smart contract concept before it's had a chance to do any good in the world. What do future DAO projects need to be successful?

I'm not sure a DAO will ever outperform a competent CEO with a good management team. The human brain is flexible and agile, and can react to changing conditions almost immediately. A DAO will always be conservative and rigid by definition.

What we need are better ways to measure and reward success, and better ways to discover and eliminate corruption and failure. I don't think a DAO is the panacea some are hoping for.
boomboom (OP)

View Profile
June 26, 2016, 03:01:17 AM

I'm not sure a DAO will ever outperform a competent CEO with a good management team. The human brain is flexible and agile, and can react to changing conditions almost immediately. A DAO will always be conservative and rigid by definition.

What we need are better ways to measure and reward success, and better ways to discover and eliminate corruption and failure. I don't think a DAO is the panacea some are hoping for.

A well constructed DAO will outperform a CEO in the long run, why ... a DAO isn't subject to human failures like greed and corruption. The critical task is to design and code the DAO 'well', and I have more faith in that happening than in humanity ever eliminating human nature.

Remember that while it might be possible to find a great CEO once, what happens when they leave? A well designed DAO can last 'forever', and as long as the designers and coders get in right at the start, the DAO's governance is 100% stable. With a CEO, they leave, or retire, so the task of maintaining good 'governance' is ongoing.

Despite the experience of The DAO, I think the future will show that a DAO will outperform traditional CEO & management governance in 99% of cases. We just need to learn from every iteration.
KLONE

Activity: 264

View Profile
June 26, 2016, 09:30:45 AM

Online Poker is a much better candidate for a DAO than an investment fund. Everything about online gaming can be systematized and run by robots & code, Pokereum has a chance to be massive, there are some lessons to be gained from The DAO (i.e. nail the code, test, and test again), and all the recent media attention on DAO's is priceless free marketing. One to watch.
boomboom (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2016, 05:34:37 AM

Online Poker is a much better candidate for a DAO than an investment fund. Everything about online gaming can be systematized and run by robots & code, Pokereum has a chance to be massive, there are some lessons to be gained from The DAO (i.e. nail the code, test, and test again), and all the recent media attention on DAO's is priceless free marketing. One to watch.

I agree, decentralised online Poker is a much better test case for a DAO. There'll still be governance issues to deal with, but most day-to-day operations of Pokereum as a Poker gaming service should be easy to automate.

I also can't see Pokereum having the same strategic behaviors & voting system issues as 'The DAO' did, as Pokereum will be much simpler, so i can't see  the Pokereum token holders having to vote all that often. More of a 'set-and-forget' type investment.
kjadB

Activity: 406

View Profile
June 28, 2016, 01:13:56 AM

A well constructed DAO will outperform a CEO in the long run, why ... a DAO isn't subject to human failures like greed and corruption. The critical task is to design and code the DAO 'well', and I have more faith in that happening than in humanity ever eliminating human nature.

Remember that while it might be possible to find a great CEO once, what happens when they leave? A well designed DAO can last 'forever', and as long as the designers and coders get in right at the start, the DAO's governance is 100% stable. With a CEO, they leave, or retire, so the task of maintaining good 'governance' is ongoing.

Despite the experience of The DAO, I think the future will show that a DAO will outperform traditional CEO & management governance in 99% of cases. We just need to learn from every iteration.

Don't get me wrong here, I hope you're right, I'm just not sure DAO's are going to have as many use cases as some people think, but in some areas like 'Internet of Things', I can see DAO's taking over some industries completely, whereas I also see the hype creating multiple train wrecks like 'The DAO'.

I'll have a look at Pokereum when it launches, any idea when that might be?
boomboom (OP)

View Profile
June 29, 2016, 04:21:55 AM

Don't get me wrong here, I hope you're right, I'm just not sure DAO's are going to have as many use cases as some people think, but in some areas like 'Internet of Things', I can see DAO's taking over some industries completely, whereas I also see the hype creating multiple train wrecks like 'The DAO'.

I've heard whispers that Pokereum will exit stealth mode and start a public crowdfunding round next month, to add to the funding they already got from angel investors, but that's not definite, just what I've been told. An announcement should be soon ...
kennyP

Activity: 544
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 24, 2016, 05:09:03 AM

I've heard whispers that Pokereum will exit stealth mode and start a public crowdfunding round next month, to add to the funding they already got from angel investors, but that's not definite, just what I've been told. An announcement should be soon ...

heard anymore whispers? these guys are taking their time (which is probably a good thing)
boomboom (OP)

View Profile
July 27, 2016, 12:46:00 AM

heard anymore whispers? these guys are taking their time (which is probably a good thing)

Pokereum devs are probably waiting to see how things turn out with the current ETC vs ETH battle,

it'd be foolish to launch prior to knowing which version of Ethereum the market decides is the 'real' one
NASdaq

Activity: 304

View Profile
August 02, 2016, 12:09:59 PM

Pokereum devs are probably waiting to see how things turn out with the current ETC vs ETH battle,

it'd be foolish to launch prior to knowing which version of Ethereum the market decides is the 'real' one

Could Pokereum use both ETH & ETC? What's stopping them running dual sites?
innovator256

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 11, 2016, 05:11:47 PM

updates forthcoming
CryptoSporidium

Activity: 405

View Profile
September 06, 2016, 03:22:06 AM

updates forthcoming

Any news on Pokereum?
innovator256

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 09, 2016, 09:56:59 PM

Udate has been posted here : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1675894.new#new . you can lock this thread since this are a little more evolved now Wink
Cryptotraider16

Activity: 420

http://www.leocoinapp.com/

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2016, 06:38:26 AM

when i see DAO, i got nervose becouse of lost i did..WTF DAO inside scam job!

http://www.leocoin.info - LEOcoin info App!
LEOcoin - traded on 8 exchanges! more coming - Solo POS coin!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: