Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 02:15:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: $10k double spend...  (Read 4278 times)
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2013, 06:59:19 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=152348.0

This is no hack of some Bitcoin service, this is a hit to Bitcoin itself.

How low will the price go once this gets out?

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
humanitee

Activity: 1302
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 07:08:45 PM

Did he do all that before the diverging chain was found out?

▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
▄███▀▀▀▀▀████▄▄ █▄▄
▄▄          ▀▀████▄  ██▄
█████▄            ▀█████  ██▄
▄█████████           ▀█████ ███▄
▄█████████▀▀           ▀█████ ███▄
▄███  █████             ▀█████ ████
███  █████                █████ ████
███ █████                  ████  ████
███ █████                ▄████  ████
███ █████                ███████████
▀██ █████▄                █████████
▀██ ██████▄                ▀█████
▀██ ███████                  ▀▀▀
▀██ ██████▄▄                 
▀██ ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
▀▀ █████████████████▀
▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀

Fast, Secure, and Fully

DecentralizeTrading
BACKED BY:
─────────────────────────
BINANCE
─────── LAB
&█████████████████████████████████ █  ███
█▀    ▀█  ███▀▀▀▀▀████████  ████▀▀███▀ █
█  █████    ▄▄▄▄▄  █  ▀  █    ███  █  ██
█▄    ▀█  ██       █  ▄███  ██████   ███
█████  █  ██  ███  █  ████  ████  ▄  ███
█▄    ▄█▄  ▄█▄     ▀  ████▄  ▄█   ██  ██
████████████████████████████████████████

Whitepaper
 Medium
Reddit
myself
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

chaos is fun...…damental :)

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 07:09:02 PM

be happy it was only 10k

Los desesperados publican que lo inventó el rey que rabió, porque todo son en el rabias y mas rabias, disgustos y mas disgustos, pezares y mas pezares; si el que compra algunas partidas vé que baxan, rabia de haver comprado; si suben, rabia de que no compró mas; si compra, suben, vende, gana y buelan aun á mas alto precio del que ha vendido; rabia de que vendió por menor precio: si no compra ni vende y ván subiendo, rabia de que haviendo tenido impulsos de comprar, no llegó á lograr los impulsos; si van baxando, rabia de que, haviendo tenido amagos de vender, no se resolvió á gozar los amagos; si le dan algun consejo y acierta, rabia de que no se lo dieron antes; si yerra, rabia de que se lo dieron; con que todo son inquietudes, todo arrepentimientos, tododelirios, luchando siempre lo insufrible con lo feliz, lo indomito con lo tranquilo y lo rabioso con lo deleytable.
lucif

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

Clown prophet

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 07:09:25 PM

Hehe... I am sorry for ppl went long.
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2013, 07:21:28 PM

Did he do all that before the diverging chain was found out?

12:53 – After some study, I recognized, the transaction, though included in version 0.8's fork, was never confirmed by the pre-0.8 fork, so I decided to make two double spend transactions on two of the vins of the OKPAY transaction, and broadcasted them with the raw transaction API, 0.001 BTC transaction fee included in each transaction.
13:01 – The double spend transaction was included in pre-0.8 fork block 225446

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2013, 07:26:27 PM

The total amount of BTC traded the 10 transactions after block 225446 adds up to about 145k BTC. That is over $6 million at a price of $45/BTC.

I wonder how much of that $6 million ended up being double spends too.

Odalv
Legendary

Activity: 1414

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 07:29:50 PM

The total amount of BTC traded the 10 transactions after block 225446 adds up to about 145k BTC. That is over $6 million at a price of $45/BTC.

Maybe(I think) all of them were merged into 0.7 chain automatically. This is what Bitcoin protocol have to do.
elux
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 07:32:02 PM
Last edit: March 12, 2013, 07:49:02 PM by elux

Bitcoin is a solution to the double-spending problem of using a peer-to-peer network to manage transactions.

The network timestamps transactions by hashing them into an ongoing chain of hash-based proof-of-work, forming a record or chain that cannot be changed without redoing the proof-of-work. The longest chain of records (called blocks) not only serves as proof of the sequence of events witnessed, but proof that it came from the largest pool of computing power. As long as a majority of computing power is controlled by nodes that are not cooperating to attack the network, they'll generate the longest chain of records and outpace attackers.
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 07:32:18 PM

I would think only a very small minority.  I transferred some coins too that were on the wrong chain, but didn't doublespend them.

Also : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=152300.0
zby
Legendary

Activity: 1592

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 08:22:17 PM

This is a trivial consequence of the blockchain fork - I think it should be already accounted for in the dip last night, but who knows.  I believe nobody will cry when OKPAY reverses the transaction in their system.  Overall I think it all was handled much better then I would expect for such an event - but yeah - some merchants might be burned if they were not alert and cannot reverse the payments,  so it might get some additional attention.   MtGox stopped accepting transfers pretty quickly I think.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 08:48:11 PM

I don't understand how this double-spend even worked. Shouldn't his first tx have ended up in both chains in the first place? Why wasn't it included in the 0.7 chain?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 08:51:07 PM

I don't understand how this double-spend even worked. Shouldn't his first tx have ended up in both chains in the first place? Why wasn't it included in the 0.7 chain?

I think the transaction went through during that period where the 0.8 chain was orphaned, and the double spend was sent shortly thereafter. At some point, when the 0.7 chain overtook the 0.8 chain, the original transaction would either have been accepted or rejected, but I have a feeling before that could happen he sent the double spend, caused all the trouble, then quickly posted about his successful double spend.
humanitee

Activity: 1302
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 08:52:52 PM

It is my understanding that the .7 blockchain had imposed block size limits while the .8 had not. Therefore, transactions that were waiting to be included in the .7 blockchain could be included in the .8 at any time.

▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
▄███▀▀▀▀▀████▄▄ █▄▄
▄▄          ▀▀████▄  ██▄
█████▄            ▀█████  ██▄
▄█████████           ▀█████ ███▄
▄█████████▀▀           ▀█████ ███▄
▄███  █████             ▀█████ ████
███  █████                █████ ████
███ █████                  ████  ████
███ █████                ▄████  ████
███ █████                ███████████
▀██ █████▄                █████████
▀██ ██████▄                ▀█████
▀██ ███████                  ▀▀▀
▀██ ██████▄▄                 
▀██ ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
▀▀ █████████████████▀
▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀

Fast, Secure, and Fully

DecentralizeTrading
BACKED BY:
─────────────────────────
BINANCE
─────── LAB
&█████████████████████████████████ █  ███
█▀    ▀█  ███▀▀▀▀▀████████  ████▀▀███▀ █
█  █████    ▄▄▄▄▄  █  ▀  █    ███  █  ██
█▄    ▀█  ██       █  ▄███  ██████   ███
█████  █  ██  ███  █  ████  ████  ▄  ███
█▄    ▄█▄  ▄█▄     ▀  ████▄  ▄█   ██  ██
████████████████████████████████████████

Whitepaper
 Medium
Reddit
yokosan

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 08:56:56 PM

Once the merchant give up the price will drop.
Odalv
Legendary

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 09:06:32 PM
Last edit: March 12, 2013, 09:18:37 PM by Odalv

When chain forks there is no reason for a panic sell because you have same amount in both. ... so the worst case scenario is "your amount is doubled." :-)
Nemesis

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 10:37:41 PM

Its best to hold on fiat and buy back in when the price drop.

This recent incident has damaged the confident level of btc. Price drops is inevitable.

Its a wake-up call for all of us. BTC isnt ready for mainstream. Dont expect big online merchants to accept btc anytime soon.
Odalv
Legendary

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 10:47:50 PM

looks like Nemesis has dumped under $44 :-)
gimme_bottles

Activity: 316

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 10:50:34 PM

This recent incident has damaged the confident level of btc. Price drops is inevitable

that's just wishful thinking. yes, something went wrong, but look at how fast the issue was solved. if this happened to a bank, until now nobody would know more than that the system doesn't work. instead, bitcoin is back up and running.

keep in mind that it is bitcoin 0.8, it is still beta. but the fact that such a huge issue can be solved that fast is a good sign. of course i like it better if those things don't happen, but that's what beta is for. it is better to find the bugs now than to find them in a few years when bitcoin has spread and increased in value. the way the fork was dealt with makes me more confident about the future.

BTW, some time ago i heard of a professional programmer (can't remember the name) who said he was absolutely amazed that until then not one major bug/malfunction was found in the bitcoin core source code. also, if i understood todays issue correct the problem was the interface between the bitcoin core and the database, which was changed from 0.7 to 0.8. so i guess it won't be too hard to get 0.8.1 up and running.
Nemesis

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 10:57:50 PM

This recent incident has damaged the confident level of btc. Price drops is inevitable

that's just wishful thinking. yes, something went wrong, but look at how fast the issue was solved. if this happened to a bank, until now nobody would know more than that the system doesn't work. instead, bitcoin is back up and running.

keep in mind that it is bitcoin 0.8, it is still beta. but the fact that such a huge issue can be solved that fast is a good sign. of course i like it better if those things don't happen, but that's what beta is for. it is better to find the bugs now than to find them in a few years when bitcoin has spread and increased in value. the way the fork was dealt with makes me more confident about the future.

BTW, some time ago i heard of a professional programmer (can't remember the name) who said he was absolutely amazed that until then not one major bug/malfunction was found in the bitcoin core source code. also, if i understood todays issue correct the problem was the interface between the bitcoin core and the database, which was changed from 0.7 to 0.8. so i guess it won't be too hard to get 0.8.1 up and running.

No one here debate if btc is still a beta or not.

You cant deny the fact that this will slow down the adoptions by merchant.

The issue is not solved IMO. Simply orphan the fork and keep the default block size limit isnt a fix. We need to come up with a prevention system to put the whole thing in safe mode when this happens again.

Only then, the confidence is restored. Imagine what would happen, if we're all mining ASICs now. It would be a disaster.

Btw, name one incident where the whole banking network has to be stopped as double spending might happen? PPL quickly say "if this happens to bank" has no clue. Sure you bank wiring might be slow and delayed.... that doesnt stop me from buying parts from Newegg does it?
Odalv
Legendary

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 11:59:16 PM

No one here debate if btc is still a beta or not.

You cant deny the fact that this will slow down the adoptions by merchant.

The issue is not solved IMO. Simply orphan the fork and keep the default block size limit isnt a fix. We need to come up with a prevention system to put the whole thing in safe mode when this happens again.

Only then, the confidence is restored. Imagine what would happen, if we're all mining ASICs now. It would be a disaster.

Btw, name one incident where the whole banking network has to be stopped as double spending might happen? PPL quickly say "if this happens to bank" has no clue. Sure you bank wiring might be slow and delayed.... that doesnt stop me from buying parts from Newegg does it?

Yes, really  disaster, our speculation will not work.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: