Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 06:34:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Congratulations on a successful 51% attack today everyone!  (Read 905 times)
WiW (OP)

Activity: 277
Merit: 250

"The public is stupid, hence the public will pay"

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 08:39:31 PM

There was a fork but more than 50% of the hashing power put their work behind the shorter chain, even though merchants may (and have?) trusted the longer proof of work chain.

Technically, there was no malicious intent, and I'm sure nobody planned this in advance with a double spend in mind... I believe all the miners deserve a big congratulations!
ItsDom

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 08:42:24 PM

I'm confused.... are you being sarcastic... or?

As you said, there's no malicious activity, so there's no 51% "attack"

The community came together to cover a bug.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 08:43:54 PM

Based on what you said, WiW, there is a 51% attack everytime a block is orphaned  Cheesy so dozens of time per month! lol

mccorvic

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 08:47:06 PM

Based on what you said, WiW, there is a 51% attack everytime a block is orphaned  Cheesy so dozens of time per month! lol

This was pretty much my first thought.

The OP might as well have said, "Guys, everything worked as it was supposed to! PANIC!"

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
WiW (OP)

Activity: 277
Merit: 250

"The public is stupid, hence the public will pay"

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 08:49:03 PM

Based on what you said, WiW, there is a 51% attack everytime a block is orphaned  Cheesy so dozens of time per month! lol

The difference being that a block is usually orphaned because it came second to the miner (propagated the network slower) but wasn't shorter in terms of proof of work.

In this case they rejected a valid, longer proof of work chain in favor of making a shorter chain outpace the longer one with a majority of hashing power.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: