Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 05:24:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Calculating fees?  (Read 1159 times)
rizzlarolla

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 28, 2016, 09:52:29 PM

I don't think so everyone has much time while sending transactions that he keeps calculating the satoshis per 60/bytes. I suggest you to put at least 0.0002 per 1kb . I have never sent any transaction with fee lower then 0.0002 . So just set your wallet min fees @0.0002 . And if you are thinking how much the size will increase with the number of outputs try to put 0.0002 for 2 outputs and 0.0004 for 4 outputs and keep increasing the fees with the number of outputs . It's better to put higher fees then waiting hours for the transaction to confirm .

If you send a transaction with such low fees you will be left waiting.

0.0002 per 1kb is one third of the present correct recommended fee, which I have shown to be incorrect, due to being too small.
You will be waiting hours. (the longer you wait the less accurate the 21 recommended fee becomes)

I don't think so well i mostly sends transactions with 0.0002/1kb , I gamble on luckyb.it and the transaction get confirmed very soon (whenever a block is found ) , However due to current situation 0.0004 is OK for 1kb right ? and 0.0002 under 500.

There is also luck in play but,

"The fastest and cheapest transaction fee is currently 60 satoshis/byte," - 21
1kb x 60 sat = 0.0006.

So no, 0.0004 is not technically ok. It is a lower than recommended fee, at this moment.

rizzlarolla

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 28, 2016, 10:06:08 PM
Last edit: June 28, 2016, 10:17:10 PM by rizzlarolla

I doubt they are any more accurate than 21, I may be wrong.

I was showing that the correct recommended fee is not as correct as implied.
Although 90% accuracy is claimed by 21 on that correct fee/timescale, I was able to call it almost certainly wrong.

And I was correct.

Your right, fee estimate is not perfect at 21, I guess they just use past data and not take into consideration number of unconfirmed transactions in mempool at particular fee, otherwise the recommended fee would go up if almost 4000 unconfirmed transactions used such recommended fee already.

But the fee estimate algorithm become better over time, I dont doubt about that. If I really need transaction to be confirmed in the next block, I pay much higher than recommended fee. If not, I pay lower obviously. What I dont see obvious is what is so special about 1 MB, its not even defined as 2^20 bytes - weird.

21 say, "The predictions are based on blockchain data of the last 3 hours, as well as the current pool of unconfirmed transactions (mempool).
First, a likely future mempool and miner behavior is predicted using Monte Carlo simulation. From the simulations, it can be seen how fast transactions with different fees are likely to be included in the upcoming blocks."

So they are trying.
But the only way to be more "accurate", as you say is to pay more.
The only way 21 can ultimately be more accurate is to recommend higher fees.

Interesting though, according to http://www.bitcoinqueue.com/details/ the last block (418410) contained far more 50 sat/byte fees than 60 sat/byte fees.
(i have issues with the accuracy of bitcoinqueue, but it did seem to tally roughly there with 21. there were 100's of 60 sat/byte fees waiting btw)

So paying the correct recommended fee maybe too low or too high!

(i am avoiding talking of blocksize here, although it leads to this fees problem. You may like my thread, https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1410211.0)

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: