Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 12:42:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminer S9 Batch 1 Troubles !!!!  (Read 3728 times)
Xircom (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 24, 2016, 02:06:56 PM

After I puchased 5 pcs S9, they were send directly to my Farm on Iceland for an easy setup.....and now almost 2 weeks later 2 pcs are DOA and 1 is hashing at 13.5TH and 2 are hashing 12TH.
All S9`s that works are flashed with a new provided firmware from Bitmain made the 22th June. This firmware made it possible for 2 miners to run at 637 frq and one stil at 556 frq.

The 2 dead miners turned out after a hell of a lot of e-mails and phone calls with Bitmain to be doomed due to 2 faulty fans (Even the are spinning) and 2 dead controller boards.
After we changed the fans and controller boards from one of the working S9`s, they started hashing. More detective job needed to be done and finally it turned out that the 2 fans in the front of the miners looks alive, but do not provide signal to controller boards.
Outcome is 2 dead front fans and 2 dead controllers.....
Andy from Bitmain has been a big help, but the S9`s are not going to spin in near future, since they are out of stock of new controller boards.
I have never had so many problems with a batch number 1 before not even the S7`s or S5`s.

This story will be updated when further progress is done but for now, we will wait some batches before we jump on the wagon again.

R
Xircom

BTC: 1MyJmxS9ER5ZBNvpG3LhoUXGotpzbPowed

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2016, 02:16:04 PM

Sounds like it may be an issue with those new, more powerful front fans they added and their 2.7A requirements.

Xircom (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 24, 2016, 02:21:49 PM

If thats the case, do they need to make a MOD of the controller boards to make the new fan type work ?
What about the miners that hashes at lower speed than claimed even with a firmware not released to the public yet? Would the fan die faster ?

dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2016, 04:56:19 PM

Sorry, I should have been clearer that I'm just entirely speculating. I have no idea on if there is a problem, if so the specific problem or what a fix would look like. I'm going to go poke my unit now.

Tupsu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 25, 2016, 10:33:57 AM

If thats the case, do they need to make a MOD of the controller boards to make the new fan type work ?
What about the miners that hashes at lower speed than claimed even with a firmware not released to the public yet? Would the fan die faster ?

Why not try fan from S7-F1, with 6000 RPM ? But attention, wire is only 10cm.

Shop - https://shop.bitmain.com/product.htm?parts=parts

What was the shipping date your  miners ?

Bitmain staff CharlsYin confesses, that

Dear Customer:

Bitmain has determined that, in a small percentage of S9-B1 with 14T, the hast rate cant reach to the guaranteed 14T ±5%,The affected units were primarily shipped out on June 12, 2016.
https://enforum.bitmain.com/bbs/topics/3554
Xircom (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 25, 2016, 10:35:27 AM

Hmmm.. Dogie, could be nice if we could find the source of the problem.
Missing so much hash do to dead units is a pain.
After the latest report to Bitmain about the Fan 1 problems frying the controllers they went dead silence. (thursday)
Problem is they are out of controllers and if they have a general problem with the new version of fans, its not going to only my units, but a bunch of units...

Xircom (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 25, 2016, 10:38:15 AM

Why not try fan from S7-F1, with 6000 RPM ? But attention, wire is only 10cm.

Shop - https://shop.bitmain.com/product.htm?parts=parts

Dear Customer:

Bitmain has determined that, in a small percentage of S9-B1 with 14T, the hast rate cant reach to the guaranteed 14T ±5%,The affected units were primarily shipped out on June 12, 2016.

Thats my batch, yes !!!
We are trying to mount S7 fans at the moment, but controllers are still fried.
Where did you dig up the info from CharlsYin ?

Swimmer63
Legendary

Activity: 1593
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 25, 2016, 04:16:50 PM

I only have one from B1 and it thankfully hashes.  It has died on me twice.  But overall it's been steady now for a week.
It certainly does not reach 14 TH/s.  Although it is in the margin for error.  Just once I would like Bitmain to have some truth in advertising.  I have never had an S series miner from them that hashed at the advertised speed. EDIT - at stock frequency I should add.
stealthants76

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 01, 2016, 05:01:09 PM

Hi guys.
I do see some else has problems with the s9. I have been talking with Bitmain support about my problem.. First of my fan at front burned up so i putt a new on.. This fan's seem to be JBL fans if i not remember wrong and they do have lower rpm than the other Delta fan.
How ever...Bitmain saying that i should take out my hashbord's and check all... And also the controller.
Now, what i believe is that the controller goes pretty hot aswell and there for i get some high errors.. Well high to my eyes.. My S7 work's like charm..never have hw errors at all so..

Anyway i do belive addind another fan on to controller should give some results..? Or what you guys think?

There is 4 ports on the controller to connect to hashboards. If some port is "bad" can i then connect to the 4'th port???

Thank you Smiley
Xircom (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 01, 2016, 05:42:57 PM

In Both cases it turned out to be front FAN + IO board + Controller board that fried. All 3 items changed and Ants mining happy after the replacement.

NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 2542

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
August 01, 2016, 09:01:35 PM

<snip>

Dear Customer:

Hmm, good to know. My B1 has no problem hitting 14THs and evena bit higher -- provided I have an ambient of <80F. At a higher ambient I have to lower clock to 600MHz or just a step or 2 higher at most otherwise chip temp on board #3 hits 105C or higher...

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
Xircom (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 01, 2016, 09:53:59 PM

How much do you dare to ramp up the Batch 1 units ? I do not dare to go higher than 656  ?

NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
August 01, 2016, 11:01:35 PM
Last edit: August 01, 2016, 11:33:11 PM by NotFuzzyWarm

How much do you dare to ramp up the Batch 1 units ? I do not dare to go higher than 656  ?
Good question. Anyone have a window air conditioner to put one in front of? I'd think that feeding in say 60F or less air temp or hooking the s9 to a high CFM blower, say 500-600CFM  could let you boost a fair bit, maybe even 675. At the higher clocks (with cold inlet air) it will become more of a problem with just how much power the buck regulators on the hash boards can provide. To even hazard a guess on that need to know what FET's they use, maybe a pn for the rather hefty inductor as well and base the max current they can handle on that.

Of course if Bitmain ever gets around to releasing the data sheets on their BM1387 chip then we'd have some of these answers. The sheet for the s7's BM'85 lists clock speeds almost up to 1GHz along with suggested Vcore to use...

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
stealthants76

View Profile
August 02, 2016, 05:47:59 PM

On my B2 s9 i been playing around with the anttool..And set the voltage and also try many mhz. So far i been seen pretty big different when i set the mhz at 587mhz and voltage at 0717. I got abit better hash around 12th/s and rw was pretty low on two of the blades.. But one had abit more.

One thing i dont understand is that Why does the controller have 4 ports for blades when there is only 3??
And other thing is...Been talking alot with Bitmain support and they told me to take all out and check burn spots Tongue So i did.. nothing there..
But then i change places with the " first blade  and the middle" Even so, cause i believed there was some wrong with the blade, the other blade from middle shows higher rw error.
Could there be some wrong with the controller??
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2016, 12:13:46 AM

On my B2 s9 i been playing around with the anttool..And set the voltage and also try many mhz. So far i been seen pretty big different when i set the mhz at 587mhz and voltage at 0717. I got abit better hash around 12th/s and rw was pretty low on two of the blades.. But one had abit more.<snip>
Ant tools can set the voltage on s9's?
Even though I got the v0.16 zip from Bitmain, the program shows v0.14 in the Title bar and the pull down for Miner Type only goes up to s7.

So it works for the s9 as well? Using what miner type -- s7?
Also, do the settings stick through a hard reboot or does Voltage go back to the default?

Curious minds want to know...

stealthants76

View Profile
August 05, 2016, 05:03:29 PM

On my B2 s9 i been playing around with the anttool..And set the voltage and also try many mhz. So far i been seen pretty big different when i set the mhz at 587mhz and voltage at 0717. I got abit better hash around 12th/s and rw was pretty low on two of the blades.. But one had abit more.<snip>
Ant tools can set the voltage on s9's?
Even though I got the v0.16 zip from Bitmain, the program shows v0.14 in the Title bar and the pull down for Miner Type only goes up to s7.

So it works for the s9 as well? Using what miner type -- s7?
Also, do the settings stick through a hard reboot or does Voltage go back to the default?

Curious minds want to know...

Well what i been "testing" on my S9 so yes. It does work.. But when you do write your miner ip and click OK just press the voltage and press SET VOLT. Then it ask if u sure just click ok.... DO not restart or press anything else on S9...!!
stealthants76

View Profile
August 06, 2016, 07:27:36 AM

A update about my S9.
There is 4 ports on controller to connect to blades and there is 3 of them. Been talking alot with Bitmain support.... So i reconnect the wire's and because the last blade/port..gave me high rw error. So i rewire them. And how big different there was. It seem's not only a bad value gives you error's but also port from controller..
How ever, bitmain told me i could overclock it to come up 14th/s but i would loose warranty. As i told them, this was not what i wanted to hear. Ofcause.
But later mail they told that it would be alright if i overclock Cheesy So i try to 650mhz. But to my surprice i didnt get those 14Th/s :S
So now, i use a fan to blow on the controller also to keep it cool.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: