Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:57:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Boris Johnson must give up his US citizenship now  (Read 1080 times)
countryfree (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
June 24, 2016, 03:01:49 PM

When Cameron leaves, Boris Johnson will probably succeed him but there's a problem. The man has 2 passports. One from the UK and another from the US. I can't imagine someone being head of government while carrying a foreign passport and paying tax to another country.

I've always dreamed of getting another passport, but when you're in politics, one must show full loyalty to the country.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
helloeverybody
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2016, 03:14:58 PM

When Cameron leaves, Boris Johnson will probably succeed him but there's a problem. The man has 2 passports. One from the UK and another from the US. I can't imagine someone being head of government while carrying a foreign passport and paying tax to another country.

I've always dreamed of getting another passport, but when you're in politics, one must show full loyalty to the country.

lets hope it doesnt come to that, can you imagine it? Its like something out of a comic. boris johnson as prime minister of the united kingdom and donald trump as president of the united states. How did it manage to come to this? It does look like hes going to be the one picking up the pieces but i wouldn't be too fussed about him having dual nationality, Its not a deal breaker for me.

Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2016, 05:53:49 PM

Well Obama is not far removed from the British commonwealth.

What makes you think politicians have to show loyalty to their country? There isn't much evidence of that. The primary function of a politician is to get re-elected, so that he can help his friends and family, and the backers who paid for him to get into office of course.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
countryfree (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 24, 2016, 11:12:18 PM

Boris Johnson is paying tax to the US government. Nobody wants the head of a government to pay tax to a foreign nation.

boris johnson as prime minister of the united kingdom and donald trump as president of the united states. How did it manage to come to this?

I know this is scary. Boris is a clown. He looks like one, too. But I guess people just like clowns. Political debates could be replaced by farting contests, most people would vote for the loudest guy.

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 25, 2016, 05:53:22 AM

It is still not clear whether Boris will succeed David Cameron. Until the news gets confirmed, we don't need to worry about his nationality. Still, if he becomes the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, Boris must renounce his American passport. It is a long process and can take a few months to get all the formalities completed.
Gronthaing
Legendary

Activity: 1135
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 26, 2016, 01:20:03 AM

I know this is scary. Boris is a clown. He looks like one, too. But I guess people just like clowns. Political debates could be replaced by farting contests, most people would vote for the loudest guy.

Don't think that's it. Sure lots of problems with democracy. But I think this is people tired of the establishment. Many are tired of seeing their lives get worse and not having hope for the future. So they vote for politicians who look like they could bring change. We can see this in many places not only the uk. America with trump and sanders. Greece with syriza. Podemos in spain. Austria. Etc.
European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
June 26, 2016, 01:54:58 AM

This is a total non issue.

The only qualification you need to be prime minister is to be an mp. to be an mp you don't even need to be a british citizen. You can be an Irish or commonwealth citizen.

Some old lady who arrived from Lesotho six months ago could be prime minister if people wanted it. On top of that the queen could appoint anyone on the whole planet if she feels like it.
countryfree (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 26, 2016, 11:02:46 AM

Don't think that's it. Sure lots of problems with democracy. But I think this is people tired of the establishment. Many are tired of seeing their lives get worse and not having hope for the future. So they vote for politicians who look like they could bring change. We can see this in many places not only the uk. America with trump and sanders. Greece with syriza. Podemos in spain. Austria. Etc.

Change? BoJo is a conservative, and he's been in british politics for too long for anyone to think that he will bring major changes to the UK, except leaving the EU, but that is a return to the past.

This is a total non issue.

The only qualification you need to be prime minister is to be an mp. to be an mp you don't even need to be a british citizen. You can be an Irish or commonwealth citizen.

Some old lady who arrived from Lesotho six months ago could be prime minister if people wanted it. On top of that the queen could appoint anyone on the whole planet if she feels like it.

The queen can only appoint someone designated from the winning political party. She doesn't choose anything nor anyone, but I'm sure she wouldn't like it if the person she's asked to appoint carry a foreign passport in his pocket.

virtualx

Activity: 672
Merit: 507

LOTEO

View Profile
June 26, 2016, 11:06:08 AM

Afaik you can't just give up your US citizenship. You have to pay US tax regardless of living in the UK. The only ways of giving up your passport in the US is becoming an enemy of the state or paying a huge amount of money.

...loteo...
DIGITAL ERA LOTTERY

r

▄▄███████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄███████████████████████▄
▄██████████████████████████▄
▄██  ███████▌ ▐██████████████▄
▐██▌ ▐█▀  ▀█    ▐█▀   ▀██▀  ▀██▌
▐██  █▌ █▌ ██  ██▌ ██▌ █▌ █▌ ██▌
▐█▌ ▐█ ▐█ ▐█▌ ▐██  ▄▄▄██ ▐█ ▐██▌
▐█  ██▄  ▄██    █▄    ██▄  ▄███▌
▀████████████████████████████▀
▀██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀███████████▀▀
r

RPLAY NOWR
BE A MOON VISITOR!
[/center]
Fortify
Legendary

Activity: 2660
Merit: 1176

View Profile
June 26, 2016, 11:08:25 AM

I never knew this.. Do you have some examples of where Boris Johnson has said he has dual nationality? I can believe it, but evidence always helps.

And to the guy above who said you "can't just give up your US citizenship". Yes you can, just get dual nationality and then you can renounce your US citizenship. I hate how America is one of the only countries who taxes it's citizens no matter where they live - so they end up getting taxed twice.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
countryfree (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 26, 2016, 10:38:05 PM

I never knew this.. Do you have some examples of where Boris Johnson has said he has dual nationality? I can believe it, but evidence always helps.

And to the guy above who said you "can't just give up your US citizenship". Yes you can, just get dual nationality and then you can renounce your US citizenship. I hate how America is one of the only countries who taxes it's citizens no matter where they live - so they end up getting taxed twice.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/11361816/Boris-Johnson-to-pay-six-figure-American-tax-bill.html

I've read about BoJo saying he will renounce its US citizenship, but I have yet to read that he effectively did. I guess he should start that process now, because it's taking several months.

Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2016, 10:44:26 PM

If he's going to pussyfoot around, he ought to brexit and live in the states. Smiley

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
Losvienleg

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Gloire à la Victoire !

View Profile
June 26, 2016, 10:47:36 PM

Go explains that to all those evil Jews in the French Assemblée Nationale, who got an Israel passport Roll Eyes...

countryfree (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 27, 2016, 11:57:24 PM

Go explains that to all those evil Jews in the French Assemblée Nationale, who got an Israel passport Roll Eyes...

So, that's allowed in France? I'm surprised with the lack of national requirements in some European countries. Maybe Europe's been in peace for too long. In Africa or Eastern Europe, it's impossible to enter politics if you aren't 100% native.

Gronthaing
Legendary

View Profile
June 28, 2016, 12:09:55 AM

So, that's allowed in France? I'm surprised with the lack of national requirements in some European countries. Maybe Europe's been in peace for too long. In Africa or Eastern Europe, it's impossible to enter politics if you aren't 100% native.

But is that a problem? If the person has lived in the country a long time, is a good citizen, contributes positively to society, etc, why is a political career not ok just because the person isn't 100% native or has double nationality?
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 28, 2016, 06:53:55 AM

Can't see Boris becoming PM. If he did he would have to press the button on article 50 triggering brexit. Who the hell would want that job?

helloeverybody
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2016, 06:58:15 AM

Can't see Boris becoming PM. If he did he would have to press the button on article 50 triggering brexit. Who the hell would want that job?

Someone has to do it, Not that anyone wants to. I dont know who else would be able to walk straight into the job. Would they need to be voted in or would it just be someone next in line? Ive always just assumed if cameron stepped down it johnson would take over. Maybe Michael Gove? Hopefully not theresa may or we are all fucked.

countryfree (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 28, 2016, 11:39:49 PM

But is that a problem? If the person has lived in the country a long time, is a good citizen, contributes positively to society, etc, why is a political career not ok just because the person isn't 100% native or has double nationality?

Explain that to Egyptians. In Egypt, if you parents aren't Egyptians, you cannot run for any political office. People would just look at you as someone unreliable. In Burma, it's also illegal for politicians to marry a foreigner.

Gronthaing
Legendary

View Profile
June 29, 2016, 07:35:13 PM

Someone has to do it, Not that anyone wants to.

Must they? The longer they go on without doing it the easier it is to ignore the result. This goes on for a month and everyone will get used to the idea the uk isn't leaving after all.

Explain that to Egyptians. In Egypt, if you parents aren't Egyptians, you cannot run for any political office. People would just look at you as someone unreliable. In Burma, it's also illegal for politicians to marry a foreigner.

Ok. Different countries different ideas. But what I meant was to ask you directly. "when you're in politics, one must show full loyalty to the country", "I'm surprised with the lack of national requirements in some European countries. Maybe Europe's been in peace for too long." Reading what you posted I got the idea you don't believe a person's contribution to that society is enough. Why not? Especially in some cases where that person must be voted in by the people they represent and not just selected or something.
xht

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

hey you, yeah you, fuck you!!!

View Profile
June 29, 2016, 08:01:23 PM

we are loyal to the country that we live in what the benefits of loyalty. IMO, if we have two passports we have to choose which is more favorable from the ownership of passport so i think we not must choose the country we are born.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: