Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 04:15:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Crowdsourcing Total BTC raised in IPO's  (Read 676 times)
cryptor0th (OP)

Activity: 218
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 24, 2016, 05:31:42 PM

Hey guys,

Just wanted to gather information on the total amount of BTC that was raised by projects here and their total impact for a research project of mine.
As stated in a previous thread by me, the vast majority of Coin ICO's have been scammy in nature. While I do believe in capital access empowering entrepreneurs, the story here has been vastly different.
I am trying to prove my point by

1. Gathering data on the amounts raised
2. Current status of the project.
3. Last statement by devs
4. Losses incurred.

If you could please link me to threads of previous ICO's and the amounts raised / your opinion on why shit fucked up, I could use it to work on a single database of messed up ICO's.

Plan of action

-Make excel sheet with compiled information
-Share with the general public to raise awareness on scammy ICO's and the value loss incurred.

Rules
-No project with an existing community that is active will be added to the list (eg  : Lisk ,waves, Bitshares, Nxt)
-No project with any progress in the last 3 months will be added to the list
-All devs with a forum profile will be pm'ed before being added to a list of scammy ICO"s for clarification
-All communication will be shared with the community with rare exceptions.

Keep in mind, my only plan is to see the extend of losses incurred and show how money is being scammed away by individuals here and not to bash upon actual innovation.
Any project that has shown substantial work will not be added to the list. All communities will be given an equal and fair platform to defend their stances. Biases will be avoided as much as possible.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
enet

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 24, 2016, 05:56:52 PM

Sounds like a good project, but you should calculate a proper portfolio. I suspect that Eth gains would outweigh all losses of other ICO's by a factor of 50-100x. I estimate total raise in pure BTC projects to be like 100M$ from 2013-2016. Just calculating losses doesn't make much sense for a skewed distribution. First ICO ever I believe was Mastercoin with 7M$. Also scam implies criminal liability. A failed startup and a scam are different things. The more productive activity will be to analyse the problems and find solutions to them. The way escrow is done could be improved. I have also a forthcoming whitepaper on improving the tools for funding with assets.
enet

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 24, 2016, 06:03:34 PM

Interesting comparison are general startup stats

https://blog.ycombinator.com/yc-stats

Total "valuation" of all YC companies: >$65 billion
Total money raised by all YC companies: >$7 billion
Number of YC companies worth more than $1 billion: 8 [1]
Number of YC companies worth more than $100 million: >40
Number of companies funded by YC so far: ~940
Number of companies funded by YC that have dissolved: 177

My rough estimate for all Cryptocurrency projects would be: raised 80M$ and current marketcap 1.2B$. That would be a better ratio than the best startup accelerator in the world, but its pretty skewed to the one success case.
cryptor0th (OP)

Activity: 218
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 25, 2016, 05:41:44 AM

Interesting comparison are general startup stats

https://blog.ycombinator.com/yc-stats

Total "valuation" of all YC companies: >$65 billion
Total money raised by all YC companies: >$7 billion
Number of YC companies worth more than $1 billion: 8 [1]
Number of YC companies worth more than $100 million: >40
Number of companies funded by YC so far: ~940
Number of companies funded by YC that have dissolved: 177

My rough estimate for all Cryptocurrency projects would be: raised 80M$ and current marketcap 1.2B$. That would be a better ratio than the best startup accelerator in the world, but its pretty skewed to the one success case.

This is a good approach to take but I can't compare this to crypto ICO's because market valuations are largely skewed, subject to whale involvement and unlike start-ups no accounting is made public.
Either ways thank you for the pointer Smiley

Sounds like a good project, but you should calculate a proper portfolio. I suspect that Eth gains would outweigh all losses of other ICO's by a factor of 50-100x. I estimate total raise in pure BTC projects to be like 100M$ from 2013-2016. Just calculating losses doesn't make much sense for a skewed distribution. First ICO ever I believe was Mastercoin with 7M$. Also scam implies criminal liability. A failed startup and a scam are different things. The more productive activity will be to analyse the problems and find solutions to them. The way escrow is done could be improved. I have also a forthcoming whitepaper on improving the tools for funding with assets.

I have pm'ed you regarding this.
Would love to collaborate on the white paper.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: