Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:23:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: End of Governments  (Read 6545 times)
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2013, 06:14:38 PM

Most roads are actually built by private contractors... Paid for with public funds.

I suppose if no one stole the money to pay these people, no one would ever pay for roads to be built, right?

If a market need exists, someone will be willing to provide it. If no one is willing to pay for it, no market need exists.
That's a lot of ifs. Evidentiary facts would be better.

Those aren't "ifs," they're if-then statements. As for evidence to back up those statements, you need only look at the black market. People want drugs. They are willing to pay for them. (There is a market need for drugs.) Other people are willing to provide these drugs, even at significant personal risk.
Drug trafficking is an excellent example of a secure, industrious, and well-adjusted population.

No, it isn't. Well, not "secure" or "well adjusted", but they certainly are industrious.
Well, if a drug cartel run country is your best evidence of a free-market economy, then you can have it. Try Afghanistan, you might like it there.
Did I say it was? You wanted evidence that the market acts to fill market needs. I provided that.
My original question was not if the market can meet needs, but whether there is such a thing as a free-market without a publicly created infrastructure. Do you feel you have done that?
Is there a market need for infrastructure? Do people want infrastructure? Are they willing to pay?

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 06:19:06 PM

Most roads are actually built by private contractors... Paid for with public funds.

I suppose if no one stole the money to pay these people, no one would ever pay for roads to be built, right?

If a market need exists, someone will be willing to provide it. If no one is willing to pay for it, no market need exists.
That's a lot of ifs. Evidentiary facts would be better.

Those aren't "ifs," they're if-then statements. As for evidence to back up those statements, you need only look at the black market. People want drugs. They are willing to pay for them. (There is a market need for drugs.) Other people are willing to provide these drugs, even at significant personal risk.
Drug trafficking is an excellent example of a secure, industrious, and well-adjusted population.

No, it isn't. Well, not "secure" or "well adjusted", but they certainly are industrious.
Well, if a drug cartel run country is your best evidence of a free-market economy, then you can have it. Try Afghanistan, you might like it there.
Did I say it was? You wanted evidence that the market acts to fill market needs. I provided that.
My original question was not if the market can meet needs, but whether there is such a thing as a free-market without a publicly created infrastructure. Do you feel you have done that?
Is there a market need for infrastructure? Do people want infrastructure? Are they willing to pay?
Do you want roads, police, courts, firemen, water, and electricity? Are you willing to live near people that would not pay for those because they can get what they want by force instead? Would you pay for them as well?

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2013, 06:22:29 PM

Do you want roads, police, courts, firemen, water, and electricity?
Of course I do.
Are you willing to live near people that would not pay for those because they can get what they want by force instead? Would you pay for them as well?
No. That's why I am an anarchist.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 08:02:44 PM

Of course I do.
Are you willing to live near people that would not pay for those because they can get what they want by force instead? Would you pay for them as well?
What you think you are is irrelevant. Before the extant of public commons, there was no civilization. Without civilization, you are merely food.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2013, 08:04:42 PM

Of course I do.
What you think you are is irrelevant. Before the extant of public commons, there was no civilization. Without civilization, you are merely food.
That's an interesting theory.

Severian

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 08:24:55 PM

Before the extant of public commons, there was no civilization.

Are you claiming that government = civilization?
zeroday
Donator

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 08:40:59 PM

Do you want roads, police, courts, firemen, water, and electricity? Are you willing to live near people that would not pay for those because they can get what they want by force instead? Would you pay for them as well?

Don't you think that this way you are just paying for your safety?
Imagine how these hungry crowds of lazy poor people rob and kill you and other wealthy people around just for food and drugs. Even your shotgun won't help as they are also armed and outnumber you.
And this scenario is very typical for non-civilized part of our world...
myrkul

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2013, 08:47:55 PM

Don't you think that this way you are just paying for your safety?
Imagine how these hungry crowds of lazy poor people rob and kill you and other wealthy people around just for food and drugs. Even your shotgun won't help as they are also armed and outnumber you.
And this scenario is very typical for non-civilized part of our world...

In the "civilized" parts of the world, the hungry crowds of lazy poor people select thugs to do their robbing and killing for them.

zeroday
Donator

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 08:59:17 PM

In the "civilized" parts of the world, the hungry crowds of lazy poor people select thugs to do their robbing and killing for them.
Mostly robbing, but not killing, and, for sure, you have much more chances to survive in the US than somewhere in Africa or A-stan. That's the difference between civilized world and non-civilized Smiley
myrkul

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2013, 09:12:49 PM

Mostly robbing, but not killing, and, for sure, you have much more chances to survive in the US than somewhere in Africa or A-stan. That's the difference between civilized world and non-civilized Smiley

Not killing? A quick google search will disprove that...

And what do you suppose happens if you object to the robbing?

zeroday
Donator

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 09:55:46 PM

Not killing? A quick google search will disprove that...

And what do you suppose happens if you object to the robbing?

I mean that 0.000001% chance of being killed in "civilized" word is better against 0.01% chance in non-civilized. Oh, and of course the chance to survive will be much higher if you pay tributes to local tribal leader Smiley
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 09:56:42 PM

I am not an anthropologist. But yes, In the modern era I will argue that civilization requires a government for protection at the very minimum. Since you are not supporting your argument and are merely fabricating fallacious attacks, I will return you to my ignore list and you may continue to troll in your free-market fairyland.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2013, 10:24:33 PM

I am not an anthropologist. But yes, In the modern era I will argue that civilization requires a government for protection at the very minimum. Since you are not supporting your argument and are merely fabricating fallacious attacks, I will return you to my ignore list and you may continue to troll in your free-market fairyland.

Looked to me as though he was asking you to clarify your position.

I am curious, though, why protection must be forced upon people, if it's so necessary. Would people not voluntarily seek protection?

Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 10:56:26 PM

Of course I do.

this is so amazingly backward. Government cant exist with out leaching resources from society. Reseources can not be leached from a society that does not have surplus production. A society can not have surpluss production with out specialization and the division of labor. Specialization and the division of labor are the hallmarks of civilization.

civilization necessarily comes before government because government has no means with which to sustain its self with out civilization.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 11:44:02 PM

Of course I do.

this is so amazingly backward. Government cant exist with out leaching resources from society. Reseources can not be leached from a society that does not have surplus production. A society can not have surpluss production with out specialization and the division of labor. Specialization and the division of labor are the hallmarks of civilization.

civilization necessarily comes before government because government has no means with which to sustain its self with out civilization.
Society cannot aggregate resources until they have protection from anarchist bandits and warlords. Tribes paying for good governance is far cheaper and more efficient than losing everything to roving barbarians. That's why people choose to live in the protection of castle walls. Eventually, the castle walls are replaced by roads (i.e. Rome) and standing armies that police the environs. Finally feudalism evolves into empire and into modern civilization.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2013, 11:56:29 PM

Of course I do.

Society cannot aggregate resources until they have protection from anarchist bandits and warlords. Tribes paying for good governance is far cheaper and more efficient than losing everything to roving barbarians. That's why people choose to live in the protection of castle walls. Eventually, the castle walls are replaced by roads (i.e. Rome) and standing armies that police the environs. Finally feudalism evolves into empire and into modern civilization.

And then we start selecting our defenders ourselves, instead of our defenders forcing their protection upon us. Progress!

But again, you seem to forget that the roving bandits would have nothing to steal, if the tribe had not been already specializing... (ie, practicing civilization)

Monster Tent

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 12:55:23 AM

I think you should be free to choose which country you want to live in up till you are 18-25. By this I mean you arent a citizen untill you actually sign a contract. A child cant understand or sign contracts so why should they be forced into one because of birth ?

This is why the Amish let their teenagers go into the world for a year or two as teenagers so that when they return it is their own choice.

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 03:35:29 AM

Darn Anarchists.  Just as bad as those darn Atheists.  Always gotta go around shouting your hoo-haw and your fiddley-fud.

Tongue

myrkul

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2013, 04:16:46 AM

Darn Anarchists.  Just as bad as those darn Atheists.  Always gotta go around shouting your hoo-haw and your fiddley-fud.

Tongue

Ruining your comfortable illusions with our pesky logic....

Sage

Activity: 632

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 04:44:59 AM

The "end of government" would mean the end of peace, security, freedom, and all the infrastructure that has never worked without a governing authority.

People love to talk about how the U.S. government oppresses them.  I would suggest spending some coins on a world history course. We live in the safest, free-est conditions the world has ever known. You can expect to get old and have many of your diseases cured. You likely won't die in a war or starve.

Do a little traveling.  I don't know how you are measuring freedom, but I feel far more free outside the US then I ever did in it.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: