Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 10:43:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyway to check balance of a wallet without reloading the client?  (Read 917 times)
icanscript (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 25, 2016, 02:57:45 PM

I have 50+ wallets since 2009, most of them are 96kb duds where I have reinstalled windows and reinstalled Bitcoin QT.

pywallet isnt currently working due to the way blocks are since 0.12.0 (jackjack  is currently looking into this)

I was wondering if there is a way I could check the balance without renaming them all to wallet.dat and loading core. I have done 5 wallets so far (all empty) but its taken me over an hour.

Thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6641

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2016, 03:04:53 PM

Unfortunately, no, there is no way.

CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2016, 03:13:55 PM

Assuming that you are happy to use a 3rd party service (such as blockchain.info) then you could skip the rescan (i.e. just dump the wallet addresses to search using the 3rd party service).

That should at least making doing the balance checks quicker (although it still requires you to replace the wallet.dat before each restart).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
morantis

Activity: 868
Merit: 503

View Profile
June 25, 2016, 03:15:47 PM

Assuming that you are happy to use a 3rd party service (such as blockchain.info) then you could skip the rescan (i.e. just dump the wallet addresses to search using the 3rd party service).

That should at least making doing the balance checks quicker.

and you could even write a script to do that using curl and the third party api
etparle

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

I love NACHOS

View Profile
June 25, 2016, 04:24:19 PM

Would be easier to just dump the private keys instead of public addresses and then sweep with electrum, no?
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2016, 04:45:28 PM

Would be easier to just dump the private keys instead of public addresses and then sweep with electrum, no?

Of course Electrum would be another approach instead of using a 3rd party service (and I think it can do addresses also for "watch only").

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
etparle

I love NACHOS

View Profile
June 25, 2016, 05:01:36 PM

Of course Electrum would be another approach instead of using a 3rd party service (and I think it can do addresses also for "watch only").

I've never personally used the watch only feature but I'm pretty sure it works as you've described (doesn't make sense you'd need private keys for watch only).
icanscript (OP)

View Profile
June 25, 2016, 07:19:23 PM

How can I dump the private keys without pywallet?, The dump feature in Core requires core to be loaded afaik.

my intention is to sweep the keys to a single address.
icanscript (OP)

View Profile
June 25, 2016, 07:19:47 PM

I imagine there is some api limits, il look into it though.
etparle

I love NACHOS

View Profile
June 25, 2016, 09:28:59 PM

How can I dump the private keys without pywallet?, The dump feature in Core requires core to be loaded afaik.

Core doesn't need to be synced (or resynced) to dump the private keys, so you're script would be:

Delete wallet.dat in Core Folder
Copy wallet_x -> wallet.dat in Core Folder
Start Core (wait for Core API to be online)
Query Core API to dump private key(s)
Terminate Core (wait for shutdown)
Repeat

Then you have all dumped private keys and sweep with electrum to 1 address
icanscript (OP)

View Profile
June 25, 2016, 10:34:57 PM

Core doesn't need to be synced (or resynced) to dump the private keys, so you're script would be:

Delete wallet.dat in Core Folder
Copy wallet_x -> wallet.dat in Core Folder
Start Core (wait for Core API to be online)
Query Core API to dump private key(s)
Terminate Core (wait for shutdown)
Repeat

Then you have all dumped private keys and sweep with electrum to 1 address

Is this with bitcoind? im currently on windows using bitcoin-qt

I am getting the following error when I try to connect to the json RPC interface anytime after launch (until it loads fully)

Code:
{"result":null,"error":{"code":-28,"message":"Rescanning..."},"id":"dumpwallet"}

This shows a successful connection as it knows its rescanning, but will not do anything else.
icanscript (OP)

View Profile
June 25, 2016, 11:50:29 PM

bitcoind on linux seems to work better.

using python AuthServiceProxy.

Thanks for suggestions people, il lock this thread now.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: