Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:52:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 6970 Crossfire Rate/ Intel Gpus/Cpu?  (Read 2133 times)
Kittysox (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 09:27:31 PM

Well, A friend recommended this to me as I leave my pc's on constantly, I have three questions. As I have a spare laptop I want to try and use since I never use it, minus well leave it as a miner no matter how bad.

1) When I had my 6970 cross-fired I had a rate of 430.5 stable, while using the flags -v -w128 -f0. Out've crossfire They each get around 358 each using the same flags. He did calculations and said i should be running 710 or so with the 6970 in a crossfire setup, or separate as well.

2) I have a Gateway NV54 series laptop, when I run guiminer (latest) It says I dont have any openCL devices, so im assuming portables dont work with this?

3) Is CPU mining worth it when say I go to sleep (10 hours of mining) running next to GPU mining, I have a 980X might go 2600k not sure yet.

~Kitty
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
LegitBit

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 10:58:05 PM

You need to create a separate miner for each card. GUIminer has an option for this in the File Menu. If you do not use crossfire you will get better speeds, but you will either need a second monitor or a dummy plug to get Windows to recognize the other card outside of crossfire. (At least I think this is the issue, it isn't clear if you are already doing this.)

Since laptops don't pull too much wattage it may still be worth it to run a CPU miner like Ufasoft's Miner, though only if your electricity costs are very low.

You do not need OpenCL for Ufasoft's miner.

Donate : 1EiAKUmTVtqXsaGLKQQVvLT9DDnHsT7jTZ (Block Explorer)
Kittysox (OP)

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 04:57:01 PM

You need to create a separate miner for each card. GUIminer has an option for this in the File Menu. If you do not use crossfire you will get better speeds, but you will either need a second monitor or a dummy plug to get Windows to recognize the other card outside of crossfire. (At least I think this is the issue, it isn't clear if you are already doing this.)

Since laptops don't pull too much wattage it may still be worth it to run a CPU miner like Ufasoft's Miner, though only if your electricity costs are very low.

Ok, so I setup the laptop with ufasoft, its pulling about 20 mhash not anything to be excited about but I figure  its enough to cover btcguilds donation percentage. As I game alot I'm looking into a dedicated miner, which will be placed in an office space and not in my room (As it is a sauna in here) I suppose I do have to look into dummy plugs as the only multi monitor setup is located in the room. Did whats suggested for now atleast and its pulling higher Mhashes so thank you! (I tried it on this desktop, pulled about 80mhash, but meh... it takes away from the GPUs)

The mining rig I was putting together in Newegg totaled to about $650

It has

Sempron 140 2.8ghz (Possibly unlockable to an athlon apparently?)
The cheapest ASROCK Dual PCI-E 2.0 X16 Motherboard (DDR2)
1GB of the cheapest ram
a Corsair 850w PSU (it was 2nd highest in "best ratings" category)
and Two ATI 6870's totalling $349 together (was cheaper then the 6850)

OS would be XP, as i still have some keys for it... I cant imagine

If it yields over 600Mhash though, it should pay for itself within a month or so I'de imagine.

I also experimented abit with a Sapphire 5770 Juniper stock (Not vapor-X)
that doesn't use the phoenix cooler, or those open aired ones... Its in between  I guess.

A little OC/UC 960/1000 with Afterburner and tuneup utilities brought it up to 210mhash
LegitBit

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 05:28:56 PM

that doesn't use the phoenix cooler, or those open aired ones... Its in between  I guess.

A little OC/UC 960/1000 with Afterburner and tuneup utilities brought it up to 210mhash

Hmm, you might get better value from a DDR3 Setup, not that you need that for mining, but most of the time DDR3 is actually cheaper than DDR2 which is costly to manufacture and uses more voltage to run, also you can reuse the motherboard if mining gets phased out.

Case in point... cheapest DDR3 is 1066Mhz at 12.99 with FREE shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007611%20600006050%20600006060&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20

Cheapest DDR2 400Mhz is 15.99 with 1$ shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007611%20600006042%20600006060&IsNodeId=1&name=1GB

Here is a compatible motherboard.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157176

You could spring a bit more for integrated gfx (I suggest an 880G AMD mobo or 785G), which works ok for the main monitor, with the other two cards completely dedicated, that way you can still use the machine while mining. Bandwidth does not matter for mining, so even a 1x slot with an extender would work.

Those 5770s are little dreams.

I have one OC'd to 1030/467 and get around 240MHs with sub 60C temps at stock voltage, they also pull low wattage.

Donate : 1EiAKUmTVtqXsaGLKQQVvLT9DDnHsT7jTZ (Block Explorer)
Vanquistador

Activity: 28

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 12:36:32 AM

Ok, so I setup the laptop with ufasoft, its pulling about 20 mhash not anything to be excited about but I figure  its enough to cover btcguilds donation percentage. As I game alot I'm looking into a dedicated miner, which will be placed in an office space and not in my room (As it is a sauna in here) I suppose I do have to look into dummy plugs as the only multi monitor setup is located in the room. Did whats suggested for now atleast and its pulling higher Mhashes so thank you! (I tried it on this desktop, pulled about 80mhash, but meh... it takes away from the GPUs)

The mining rig I was putting together in Newegg totaled to about $650

It has

Sempron 140 2.8ghz (Possibly unlockable to an athlon apparently?)
The cheapest ASROCK Dual PCI-E 2.0 X16 Motherboard (DDR2)
1GB of the cheapest ram
a Corsair 850w PSU (it was 2nd highest in "best ratings" category)
and Two ATI 6870's totalling $349 together (was cheaper then the 6850)

OS would be XP, as i still have some keys for it... I cant imagine

If it yields over 600Mhash though, it should pay for itself within a month or so I'de imagine.

Plan for the difficulty increase as well.  I also just recently got into "the game" of bitcoins.  I originally calculated that my parts would pay for themselves in a month or a bit less.  However, now I know that a difficulty increase is right around the corner and that it might take an extra month to pay for themselves.  Still worth it IMO!  Just keep it in mind.
Kittysox (OP)

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 12:45:52 AM

Ahh the difficulty increase yep. That happens every 10~14 days? Correct me if im wrong  Tongue
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: