Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 05:37:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin-Qt, the future Bitcoin client GUI [user input needed]  (Read 57071 times)
wumpus (OP)

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 09:32:38 PM
Last edit: August 07, 2011, 01:05:13 AM by John Smith
Merited by ABCbits (10)

Not really an alternative client, but an alternative GUI for the original bitcoin client based on Qt4, which will be merged into mainline eventually (0.4.x).

It now has all the functionality of the original client's wxWindows GUI, and I'm working to extend it beyond that.

screenshots might be out of date! current updates are posted at the end of this thread

Screenshot (Vista):

MacOSX:

Screenshot (Kubuntu/KDE):

Tray icon, notification on incoming transactions:

Screenshot (Ubuntu/GTK):

Source code (and build instructions) can be found at: https://github.com/laanwj/bitcoin-qt . There is currently no installer or binary build as the project is still changing too fast to warrant releases.

Input welcome: See https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=34838.msg433720#msg433720

Compiled versions

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
wumpus (OP)

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 09:23:52 AM
Last edit: July 01, 2011, 05:30:39 AM by John Smith

I need help here; I need slicker toolbar icons (png format, at least 16x16, and optionally 22x22) for:

- Send coins: the current green arrow has some scaling artifacts I cannot get rid of

- Address book

- Icons for confirmed/unconfirmed transactions (see first post in https://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=2022.0 )

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1128

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 12:38:23 PM

Great. Consider improving the UI flows whilst you're at it. The address book UI isn't well thought out currently because there's no way to add people and addresses simultaneously. If you want to have a readable transaction log you have to go into the address book, add an address, then go into payments, pick them from the address book and pay. It could be all one step.
wumpus (OP)

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 12:52:00 PM
Last edit: June 13, 2011, 05:49:44 AM by John Smith

Great. Consider improving the UI flows whilst you're at it. The address book UI isn't well thought out currently because there's no way to add people and addresses simultaneously. If you want to have a readable transaction log you have to go into the address book, add an address, then go into payments, pick them from the address book and pay. It could be all one step.
Hm yes it is currently:
- Click "Send Coins"
- Click "Address Book..."
- Click "New address"
- Type the label and address
- Click "Ok" (or press enter)
- Double-click the new address
- Enter amount
- Send

Could be replaced with:
- Click "Send Coins"
- Enter address
- Check "Add to address book as ...". The "..." field becomes editable.
- Enter label
- Enter amount
- Send

At least at my bank it works like that. What do you think?

wumpus (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 06:54:18 AM
Last edit: June 13, 2011, 10:32:57 AM by John Smith

I have reorganized the status column. The colors should be icons, but you get the idea:

I'm thinking of nuking the text in the status column completely [and merging the status icon into Date].

It shows a lot of repetitive text and only the "color" really matters for a quick glance. When is it interesting whether a transaction has 20 or 30 confirms? The detailed information can be provided in a tool tip, or when the user double-clicks on the transaction.

Let me know what you think.

unclescrooge
aka Raphy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 12:32:27 PM

I have reorganized the status column. The colors should be icons, but you get the idea:

I'm thinking of nuking the text in the status column completely [and merging the status icon into Date].

It shows a lot of repetitive text and only the "color" really matters for a quick glance. When is it interesting whether a transaction has 20 or 30 confirms? The detailed information can be provided in a tool tip, or when the user double-clicks on the transaction.

Let me know what you think.

Yes I think too. Simple is good.
bitlotto

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

BitLotto - best odds + best payouts + cheat-proof

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2011, 12:53:46 PM

Looks good. Oh, I've been meaning to ask, why have "All transactions" and "Sent/Received" aren't they the same? It's late so I MUST be missing something. LOL. Is it generated coins?

*Next Draw Feb 1*  BitLotto: monthly raffle (0.25 BTC per ticket) Completely transparent and impossible to manipulate who wins. TOR
TOR2WEB
Donations to: 1JQdiQsjhV2uJ4Y8HFtdqteJsZhv835a8J are appreciated.
wumpus (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 01:51:48 PM

Looks good. Oh, I've been meaning to ask, why have "All transactions" and "Sent/Received" aren't they the same? It's late so I MUST be missing something. LOL. Is it generated coins?
"Sent/Received" includes generated transactions as well. Apart from that, they're indeed the same. Maybe it'd be less confusing to just regard generated transactions as received coins (received from the system) for interface purposes.

wumpus (OP)

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 04:23:45 PM
Last edit: June 14, 2011, 07:36:28 PM by John Smith

After getting rid of the 'Status' column it looks like this:

More ideas:

- I've always wondered why Bitcoin has separate Credit and Debit columns. Why not one "amount" column? Is this really more clear?

- Description is now one blob of text. In general it could be split up into "Type" and "Address".

- Add connection status icon to status bar ("disconnected" for 0 connections, "connected" for 1+ connection, "good" for 5+ connections)

joan

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 04:47:12 PM

- I've always wondered why Bitcoin has separate Credit and Debit columns. Why not one "amount" column? Is this really more clear?
It's interesting to be able to instantly detect the debits from the credits.
If merged in the same column, I think it would be important to still be able to visually differentiate them at a glance, (not just with the +/- sign). Maybe colors, or pictograms.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 05:27:37 PM

Careful with the colors.

http://www.google.com/search?q=color+blind+usability

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
wumpus (OP)

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 05:31:30 PM
Last edit: June 14, 2011, 07:35:02 PM by John Smith

Yes that's a problem if color is the only clue. But not if it is used as an extra signal. For example, when negative amounts are in red as well as have a minus.

The blue/green/grey squares are only placeholders until I or someone else comes up with nice status icons.

Whoa, connection meter has been added,

md2k7

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 10:21:05 PM

I've made some 16x16 icons. Don't blame me if they are ugly, I usually code and don't design stuff. Try to make or google something better, while the latter option has some license fun included for sure.

Pending (0 confirmations): http://www.abanbytes.eu/files/btc/pending.png
Unconfirmed: http://www.abanbytes.eu/files/btc/unconfirmed.png
Confirmed: http://www.abanbytes.eu/files/btc/confirmed.png

License: You are free to do with these icons as you wish, including selling, copying, modifying etc.

Yours
David
wumpus (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 06:02:28 AM

Thanks! Yes they're not super-pretty but at least they're better than my square placeholders Smiley

More ideas:
- Optional confirmation for large transactions (https://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=17149.0)

Another thing: I'd appreciate it if someone with windows downloaded the free Qt SDK (http://qt.nokia.com/downloads/downloads) and try to compile this project. You can simply open the 'pro' file in Qt Creator that comes with the SDK. The biggest problem is probably the dependencies (openssl, berkelydb/dbcxx) though they likely exist for MinGW already somewhere.

AntiVigilante

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 07:03:39 AM

After getting rid of the 'Status' column it looks like this:

More ideas:

Which is why I'd really love to be able to load the wallet.dat into gnucash or the KDE equivalent (can't remember).

Proposal: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=11541.msg162881#msg162881
Inception: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/296
Goal: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=12536.0
Means: Code, donations, and brutal criticism. I've got a thick skin. 1Gc3xCHAzwvTDnyMW3evBBr5qNRDN3DRpq
MrBison

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

Anyone who opposes FOSS shall be destroyed!

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 01:04:10 PM

Maybe you should better use the icons supplied with the system or desktop. I think Qt has a method to get a system icon from the iconset user has.
For GNOME, you could use the stock_lock-broken, stock_lock and stock_lock-ok. Or the generic "error", "warning" and "OK" icons.

Please donate BTC to 142VYfhaYBJXsmfMf1LnBiNxb6KYwdj4PM .
BTC0.17 already donated, thanks!
wumpus (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 03:56:25 PM

Maybe you should better use the icons supplied with the system or desktop. I think Qt has a method to get a system icon from the iconset user has.
For GNOME, you could use the stock_lock-broken, stock_lock and stock_lock-ok. Or the generic "error", "warning" and "OK" icons.
Thanks for the suggestion,

I'm thinking about that, yes. That's the QIcon::fromTheme method. It has advantages to use the system theme icons, but also drawbacks. Ie, if Bitcoin looks different everywhere, hard to make documentation.

Also, for Mac and Windows we'll need built-in icons to fall back on.

Which is why I'd really love to be able to load the wallet.dat into gnucash or the KDE equivalent (can't remember).
You mean something like "Export to CSV"? Or do they have some specific format? Would indeed be useful...

wumpus (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 07:17:43 PM

IMO it looks pretty good with md2k7's icons. I've also tried with gnome's lock/protection icons, but they look out of place somehow and are too similar to each other. These icons at least are easy to distinguish in a quick glance.

wumpus (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 06:10:36 AM

I think I'm going to replace the clock icons; In practice (yes, I eat my own dog food) I've noticed that it would be handy if they would tell how far the confirmation is (in the range of 1 to 5 confirms), when you're waiting for it. 

Hm so I'd need multiple icons, maybe a clock that fills up, or a progress bar. Time to experiment Smiley

wumpus (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 03:55:37 PM
Last edit: June 17, 2011, 05:32:36 PM by John Smith

There we go... I put my inkscape skills to the test Smiley

Transaction status starts with a grey question mark (unconformed). After that, clocks (fill up and go from red to green) show how far the transaction is towards being confirmed. When confirmed it shows a tick.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: