Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:31:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin-Qt, the future Bitcoin client GUI [user input needed]  (Read 57071 times)
kr105

Activity: 938
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 03:36:20 AM

Thanks! Yes they're not super-pretty but at least they're better than my square placeholders Smiley

More ideas:
- Optional confirmation for large transactions (https://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=17149.0)

Another thing: I'd appreciate it if someone with windows downloaded the free Qt SDK (http://qt.nokia.com/downloads/downloads) and try to compile this project. You can simply open the 'pro' file in Qt Creator that comes with the SDK. The biggest problem is probably the dependencies (openssl, berkelydb/dbcxx) though they likely exist for MinGW already somewhere.
I have the qt sdk installed, i'll try to compile it on windows Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
md2k7

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 05:17:21 PM

There we go... I put my inkscape skills to the test Smiley

Nice clocks :-)

Quote from yesterday evening's irc.freenode.net #bitcoin-dev (CEST, UTC+02):
[00:04] <gavinandresen> BlueMatt: as soon as there's a qt GUI that has the same functionality and stability as the wx GUI I think we should switch.  What do you think?
[00:05] <BlueMatt> hm, Im not sure, I suppose I agree...but for now I think we are still in the "wweve got a long backlog of pulls to-be-pulled and need to decide which is higher priority as to in what 0.4.X version it gets pulled
[00:47] <BlueMatt> sipa: if you dont mind, could you respond to the qt thread for me and ask for more testing of autotools (my email is down atm...long story, dont ask)
[00:47] <BlueMatt> I think the people who really want to see qt merged will help test autotools first

I'm not sure what "qt thread" BlueMatt meant, or if this has to do anything with your version... Any hints?

Keep up the good work!

David
wumpus (OP)

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 09:55:20 AM

Progress: It now shows a progress bar on initial block chain download (one of my pet peeves)

I'm not sure what "qt thread" BlueMatt meant, or if this has to do anything with your version... Any hints?
Yup he means this thread. Basically, the bitcoin dev team first want to merge autoconf build system support then merge in this GUI.

Obviously, I also need to merge in autoconf before this can happen. qmake is pretty good and very clean/fast/easy to use but it doesn't really scale (for example, it cannot intelligently find the boost library filename -mt).

The Autoconf merge into bitcoin core is still held back by lack of windows/MacOSX testing (just like my GUI, really).

I have the qt sdk installed, i'll try to compile it on windows Smiley
That would be extremely cool. Let me know how it goes (either here on in a github issue).

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
Danube

Activity: 41

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 12:01:28 PM

Is there a way to get rid of the 4 tabs? How about split the description-field into 2 fields: type and description. The sorting by type would have the same functionality as those tabs. What is more interessting IMHO is a textfield for filtering the data below.

What would be cool is a buttom right to Copy to clipboard, which generates a QR-code from the actual adress. I think there is a library for qrcodes around: http://fukuchi.org/works/qrencode/index.en.html

Another idea: In the send-dialog: When sending to an unknown address, can the user type in a string which is then included in the adressbook with the address?
wumpus (OP)

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 12:06:36 PM
Last edit: June 25, 2011, 03:01:24 PM by John Smith

Is there a way to get rid of the 4 tabs? How about split the description-field into 2 fields: type and description. The sorting by type would have the same functionality as those tabs. What is more interessting IMHO is a textfield for filtering the data below.
Yes getting rid of the tabs and replacing it with a somewhat more functional filter is on my list. Also splitting the columns.
What would be cool is a buttom right to Copy to clipboard, which generates a QR-code from the actual adress. I think there is a library for qrcodes around: http://fukuchi.org/works/qrencode/index.en.html
There is already a copy to clipboard button. It copies the address as plain text though. Why a QR code?
Another idea: In the send-dialog: When sending to an unknown address, can the user type in a string which is then included in the adressbook with the address?
Yep, I think this is a good idea

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
Danube

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 04:04:27 PM

There is already a copy to clipboard button. It copies the address as plain text though. Why a QR code?

Because people are already trying to use bitcoin in shops. In the german section of the forum, there is a post about a restaurant in Berlin, where one can pay the bill with bitcoins. The biggest problem seems to how to enter the address. Saying and typing the adress is way too cumbersome. What they did first, was to send an email with the address. But using the cellphone to get the address by decoding a QR-code is the common opinion on how one should do that. In the sense of the workflow, copying to clipboard or generating a QR-code is the same thing.
wumpus (OP)

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 05:35:38 PM

96]
Because people are already trying to use bitcoin in shops. In the german section of the forum, there is a post about a restaurant in Berlin, where one can pay the bill with bitcoins. The biggest problem seems to how to enter the address. Saying and typing the adress is way too cumbersome. What they did first, was to send an email with the address. But using the cellphone to get the address by decoding a QR-code is the common opinion on how one should do that. In the sense of the workflow, copying to clipboard or generating a QR-code is the same thing.
Hm interesting. Where would they paste the QR-code after copying it to clipboard? Or would they print it?
I've just implemented this and pushed it to github.

Danube

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 06:53:05 PM

96]
Hm interesting. Where would they paste the QR-code after copying it to clipboard? Or would they print it?
They would either save it, print it, or simply let people scan it from their screen with their cellphone. IMHO it would be nice to also save the code and put it on posters, cards, signs etc. when you want people to tip you - like in all these forum signatures.

I've just implemented this and pushed it to github.

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/1492/screenshotltq.png

Can you replace the address field and the address book button by a pull-down field which combines the functionality? Is the add to address book line greyed out, when one uses an address from the address book? I suggest that the checkbox is deactivated by default, and automatically activates, when the user enters anything in the name field.
wumpus (OP)

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 07:12:17 PM

Can you replace the address field and the address book button by a pull-down field which combines the functionality?
Yes good point -- I guess a combobox could be used there.
Is the add to address book line greyed out, when one uses an address from the address book? I suggest that the checkbox is deactivated by default, and automatically activates, when the user enters anything in the name field.
The 'add to address book as' checkbox is disabled by default, and you can only enter a name when it is enabled (otherwise the input field is disabled and the tab focus skips directly to 'amount'). I think this is more clear than the other way around.

wumpus (OP)

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 09:26:28 PM

A combobox turned out to not be really suited to this, as it had the nasty (insecure) habit of selecting the first address in the address book. It made it too easy to accidentally choose an address.

I've further improved the send coins dialog, though (and showing off the Dutch translation :-):

wumpus (OP)

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 08:41:06 PM
Last edit: June 26, 2011, 09:12:57 PM by John Smith

Update:
  • Split "Description" column into "Type" and "Address", to make sorting easier (and facilitate filtering in the future)
  • Merged "credit" and "debit" columns into one "amount" column that can be black (positive) or red (negative)

Oldminer
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 08:45:17 PM

Do you have a working windows gui/installer yet?

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
Tip me BTC: 1FBmoYijXVizfYk25CpiN8Eds9J6YiRDaX
wumpus (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 02:46:51 PM

Do you have a working windows gui/installer yet?
Nope, I cannot build this myself. I've asked for help with windows earlier in the thread, but no one has bothered to do it yet.

Oldminer
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 07:12:36 PM

Pity, its a nice looking app Sad

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
Tip me BTC: 1FBmoYijXVizfYk25CpiN8Eds9J6YiRDaX
dan_a

Activity: 48

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 08:10:22 PM

Another thing: I'd appreciate it if someone with windows downloaded the free Qt SDK (http://qt.nokia.com/downloads/downloads) and try to compile this project. You can simply open the 'pro' file in Qt Creator that comes with the SDK. The biggest problem is probably the dependencies (openssl, berkelydb/dbcxx) though they likely exist for MinGW already somewhere.

I'm giving that a go now.  It may take some time, though...
zellfaze

Activity: 141
Merit: 101

Security Enthusiast

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2011, 08:33:59 PM

This is beautiful.  Once you have this tested on Windows (and have tested it throughly) you should submit a pull request for this.  I think that the mainstream client really ought to use QT (plus your GUI is so much nicer looking).

A+, CCENT, CCNA
Security Enthusiast
PHP Coder

Not that I expect anyone to, but should you like my post, please donate:
Donate: 1BRbfqii6Sm9tEUE8A16H7QeDmYFjyBZ7V
dan_a

Activity: 48

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 08:42:05 PM

Awww, man, the QT SDK takes forever to install!
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 08:44:26 PM

8 connections should be 2 bars, and 16+ should be 4 Tongue

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
EhVedadoOAnonimato

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 09:11:12 PM

Great job!
Suggestion: get rid of the "Sent/Received" tab and keep just "All Transactions", "Sent" and "Received". Generated coins could be considered "received", you just change the Type to make it clear the difference.
drawoc

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

Firstbits: 175wn

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 09:21:06 PM

I think it would be better to have the type column right-aligned, because of the way it reads. (type's text makes more sense with an adress next to it.)

Anyway, nice! I might try a windows build later if i get the time. Keep up the good work!

Donate: 175WNXmJ1WVhFgVGKUqEhYtAQGRYAvqPA
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: