Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:43:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin-Qt, the future Bitcoin client GUI [user input needed]  (Read 57072 times)
Pieter Wuille
Legendary

Activity: 1072
Merit: 1174

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2011, 11:55:00 AM

Nice!

I do Bitcoin stuff.
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitlotto

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

BitLotto - best odds + best payouts + cheat-proof

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2011, 01:27:58 PM

Examples using green/red clock going with the theme "up to date":

and

Images in PNG:

*Next Draw Feb 1*  BitLotto: monthly raffle (0.25 BTC per ticket) Completely transparent and impossible to manipulate who wins. TOR
TOR2WEB
Donations to: 1JQdiQsjhV2uJ4Y8HFtdqteJsZhv835a8J are appreciated.
wumpus (OP)

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 05:23:08 PM

Sendmany support is committed now. The whole sending layer was refactored, so please help testing Smiley

Thanks! What's the licensing?

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
bitlotto

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2011, 06:51:31 PM

Sendmany support is committed now. The whole sending layer was refactored, so please help testing Smiley

Thanks! What's the licensing?

I release it public domain. I'm just wondering, I used another icon as a guide that was on my computer. Does that mean it has to have the same license something so simple? It's a pretty simple circle with a couple lines? Derived from Ubuntu Humanity which is GPL I believe, so as long as you keep the icon GPL? I was just playing around if you want I can make a new one from scratch that is public domain in case.

*Next Draw Feb 1*  BitLotto: monthly raffle (0.25 BTC per ticket) Completely transparent and impossible to manipulate who wins. TOR
TOR2WEB
wumpus (OP)

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 07:00:10 PM

If it's derived from a GPL icon it's also GPL. For some of the other icons I've also used GPL icon sets (crystal SVG and friends). As long as it can be used in open source software it's OK for now.

Public domain is ofc best but it's almost impossible to find good looking public domain icons.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
bitlotto

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2011, 07:09:19 PM

If it's derived from a GPL icon it's also GPL. For some of the other icons I've also used GPL icon sets (crystal SVG and friends). As long as it can be used in open source software it's OK for now.

Public domain is ofc best but it's almost impossible to find good looking public domain icons.

Ah good. I looked it up and it is part of Humanity icon theme. GPL. Use it if you want!

TOR2WEB
bitlotto

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2011, 03:24:08 AM
Last edit: July 17, 2011, 03:02:51 PM by bitlotto

Edit: Never mind. I misunderstood the keypool a little bit.

TOR2WEB
wumpus (OP)

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 10:30:32 AM

I agree it's useful to be able to request that number (num spare keys in key pool), but displaying that in a sensible way would be difficult. I've reserved the 'key/lock' symbols in the status bar already for wallet encryption. Until exporting/back-upping is part of the client, it'd be better off in some advanced information pane.  It shouldn't overwhelm new users until they know where it's for.

And I agree with the earlier poster now that there needs to be an animated icon when not up to date, "3 days ago" doesn't show that it is working to get more recent data.

ghotir

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 11:38:52 AM

I love the crowdsourcing going on here.
I use a very minimal X environment (I only have libs installed that are necessary for Firefox, gimp, and what's needed for scrotwm)  & even though this is KDE/Qt,  watching it come to life rocks.

WakiMiko

Activity: 59

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 11:42:43 AM
Last edit: July 17, 2011, 12:20:58 PM by WakiMiko

I think it's a big flaw that the program generates 100 keys at a time and the user is just to guess when this happens.

It would really help people know that a new backup is needed! Hate to lose some BTC on that 101 key!!

Is that really how the keypool works? I was under the impression that the keypool always maintains a constant number of keys (default 100). So when the user requests a new receiving address, the OLDEST key is taken from the pool and presented to the user, and a NEW key is generated and added to the pool, so that there are always 100 keys in the pool.

Also every time I check this thread bitcoin-qt is looking better and better, thanks for working on this JohnSmith!

We only need to think of more stuff to add to the home tab, it looks a little empty at the moment.

Edit: The recipients should probably be put in some kind of vertically scrollable area. Right now the window resizes when adding more and more recipients, until it is bigger than the screen Smiley
bitlotto

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2011, 02:39:13 PM

And I agree with the earlier poster now that there needs to be an animated icon when not up to date, "3 days ago" doesn't show that it is working to get more recent data.
Maybe?

TOR2WEB
bitlotto

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2011, 02:44:26 PM

Is that really how the keypool works? I was under the impression that the keypool always maintains a constant number of keys (default 100). So when the user requests a new receiving address, the OLDEST key is taken from the pool and presented to the user, and a NEW key is generated and added to the pool, so that there are always 100 keys in the pool.
Hmm. I think you are right.

TOR2WEB
wumpus (OP)

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 04:10:14 PM

I love the crowdsourcing going on here.
I use a very minimal X environment (I only have libs installed that are necessary for Firefox, gimp, and what's needed for scrotwm)  & even though this is KDE/Qt,  watching it come to life rocks.
It's Qt, but has no dependencies on KDE Smiley But indeed, looks like this project is going in the right direction.
Edit: The recipients should probably be put in some kind of vertically scrollable area. Right now the window resizes when adding more and more recipients, until it is bigger than the screen Smiley
Done! And the "updating" icon is animated now.

WakiMiko

Activity: 59

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 01:13:28 PM

Done! And the "updating" icon is animated now.

Nice, though I would move the "Add recipient" and "Send" buttons out of the scrollarea, so that they are always visible, just like on the address book page.  Wink

The connection status indicator could display some additional information in the tooltip that there are connection problems if there are 8 or less connections/all connections are outgoing, kinda like a lot of BitTorrent clients already do:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6457172/connections.png

Maybe that would cause more users behind NAT/firewalls to forward port 8333 and/or use upnp.
Also the fourth bar should be green and not yellow Tongue
wumpus (OP)

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 04:46:33 PM

Nice, though I would move the "Add recipient" and "Send" buttons out of the scrollarea, so that they are always visible, just like on the address book page.  Wink
Yes good idea, done
The connection status indicator could display some additional information in the tooltip that there are connection problems if there are 8 or less connections/all connections are outgoing, kinda like a lot of BitTorrent clients already do:
Also sounds good. I wonder if it is possible to detect whether the port is open from outside. Or maybe it could count the number of incoming/outgoing connections and complain if there are no incoming connections after a certain while...

Also the fourth bar should be green and not yellow Tongue
Lol, I agree, feel free to modify the image. I suppose this also means that the inbetween-bars should be yellow/orange instead of red to make sure it's still a nice gradient.

TYDIRocks

Activity: 213
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 06:17:07 PM

Very cool! Too bad I only took a year of C++ Tongue

Import new address/private keys with ease: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=101161
fabianhjr

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

Do The Evolution

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 08:33:33 PM

Something that I see lacking in the main client is to be able to determine a fee on the fly instead of going trough the preferences to change it and return it to normal.

I am all in for the folder structure.

Based on some patches made to the main client and forks this are some ideas to implement:
-Import Keys
-Determine where the .dat and important files would be located
-Deterministic wallets generated with a strong password. No need to store the keys in the wallet.dat(16+ chars cap and uncap, numbers, and symbols)
-Vanity Generator, Miner, and bulk key generation.(Under a certain folder x ammount of keys)
-Show addresses already "linked" together in groups.
-Advanced Send(From, to, both with multiple inputs/outputs and a specific fee)
-Access control for the API, create users who can only manage specific accounts and/or limited commands.

For usability make a divide between: Power Users/Simple Users.
Power Users have low level access(Many of the futures described above)
Simple users are limited to tx historial/contacts/send and status/messages dumb down.

Will help as I can when I get my Ubuntu box set up again. Smiley

JuanPabloCuervo

Activity: 246
Merit: 102

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 04:34:14 AM

Not really an alternative client, but an alternative GUI for the original bitcoin client

Hi...

in Windows...
for Miners...
"bitcoin.exe -server"
would be very usefull to see all ip miners connected to the server, with total Mh/s.

Thanks.
marcusaurelius

Activity: 37

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 02:29:31 PM

hey, why don't you use this quite beautiful iconset, which has virtually every icon you can think of (7600!!):

http://www.famfamfam.com/lab/icons/silk/

Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License, and the guy specifies that he has to be mentioned only on the credits page...

wumpus (OP)

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 03:21:34 PM

Based on some patches made to the main client and forks this are some ideas to implement:
-Import Keys
-Determine where the .dat and important files would be located
-Deterministic wallets generated with a strong password. No need to store the keys in the wallet.dat(16+ chars cap and uncap, numbers, and symbols)
-Vanity Generator, Miner, and bulk key generation.(Under a certain folder x ammount of keys)
-Show addresses already "linked" together in groups.
-Advanced Send(From, to, both with multiple inputs/outputs and a specific fee)
-Access control for the API, create users who can only manage specific accounts and/or limited commands.
Most of those are not really UI features but backend, you're better of lobbying for them for the core client. I think a some of them are already available as pull requests (such as deterministic wallets).

My project mostly focuses on the UI and improving the core <-> UI communication.
For usability make a divide between: Power Users/Simple Users.
Power Users have low level access(Many of the futures described above)
Simple users are limited to tx historial/contacts/send and status/messages dumb down.
Indeed, there should be an "expert" mode which exposes some more advanced and debug options.
Will help as I can when I get my Ubuntu box set up again. Smiley
Cool Smiley
hey, why don't you use this quite beautiful iconset, which has virtually every icon you can think of (7600!!):

http://www.famfamfam.com/lab/icons/silk/

Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License, and the guy specifies that he has to be mentioned only on the credits page...
I think the problem with that icon set was that it only has 16x16 icons, which are good for some purposes, but not (for example) for the toolbar in many window systems.

But feel free to replace some of the small icons if you think they have better icons than the current ones (icons are in src/qt/res/icons..)

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: