Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:58:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin-Qt, the future Bitcoin client GUI [user input needed]  (Read 57075 times)
wumpus (OP)

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 08:01:54 PM

Configurable units (BTC/uBTC/mBTC) are on the way, for the people that like to see large numbers Smiley

BTW is anyone interested in helping build binary packages (linux) / installers (windows)?

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FatherMcGruder

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2011, 08:15:57 PM

...uBTC...
Use 'μ' (mu) instead of 'u', please. Smiley

Use my Trade Hill referral code: TH-R11519

Check out bitcoinity.org and Ripple.

Shameless display of my bitcoin address:
1Hio4bqPUZnhr2SWi4WgsnVU1ph3EkusvH
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 08:32:56 PM

...uBTC...

Please do accept u if it ever comes up for input.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
fabianhjr

Do The Evolution

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 09:00:15 PM

Well, doe to the value of a single Bitcoin, I really think the client should now default to mBTC + a patch to support more decimals in the official client.

ercolinux
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2011, 09:16:01 PM

Configurable units (BTC/uBTC/mBTC) are on the way, for the people that like to see large numbers Smiley

BTW is anyone interested in helping build binary packages (linux) / installers (windows)?

I'm a little busy in this days but I found a couple of hours I can make  a RPM package for the openmamba distro (but easily enough it can works on every RPMs based distro)

Bitrated user: ercolinux.
wumpus (OP)

View Profile
July 26, 2011, 09:25:11 AM
Last edit: July 26, 2011, 11:32:33 AM by John Smith

...uBTC...
Happy? Smiley

(yes I see I forgot the , after 1 :p)
(edit: please help testing, this has been committed. Units are also automatically converted, so if you enter one value, then change the combobox, it will show the number in that new unit)

Please do accept u if it ever comes up for input.
I'm only going to use combo-boxes, but indeed, entering a 'mu' is annoying and should never be required.

Well, doe to the value of a single Bitcoin, I really think the client should now default to mBTC + a patch to support more decimals in the official client.
I'm not going to change the default for now. People that want to change how the numbers are shown can change the config option.

More decimals? Why? Even with mBTC you have 5 decimals, that should be enough.
I'm a little busy in this days but I found a couple of hours I can make  a RPM package for the openmamba distro (but easily enough it can works on every RPMs based distro)
That'd be awesome!

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
kripz

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 26, 2011, 01:41:48 PM

This nano, micro and etc is confusing (not that know what it's even for). Perhaps something like this:

[   ].[   ] BTC = [   ].[   ] uBTC

If i change one side, the other changes. I'd hate to enter 1BTC when i meant 1uBTC

Merged mining, free SMS notifications, PayPal payout and much more.
http://btcstats.net/sig/JZCODg2
Bitsky

Activity: 576
Merit: 514

View Profile
July 26, 2011, 02:16:05 PM

This nano, micro and etc is confusing (not that know what it's even for). Perhaps something like this:

[   ].[   ] BTC = [   ].[   ] uBTC

If i change one side, the other changes. I'd hate to enter 1BTC when i meant 1uBTC
Well that's the point. Enter any amount and select from the dropdown list if you want that to be BTC, mBTC or µBTC.

A note from my side on the [  ].[  ] input: A single field should suffice. Anybody who is not able to properly add a value with a decimal mark should not be doing any business at all.

That aside, it looks great. I hope Qt and the main branch get merged.

Bounty: Earn up to 68.7 BTC
Like my post? Feel free to drop a tip to 1BitskyZbfR4irjyXDaGAM2wYKQknwX36Y
wumpus (OP)

View Profile
July 26, 2011, 02:16:35 PM

The send confirmation window will always show the amount in full BTC, so you'll never make that mistake.

I don't want to add multiple fields, the Send entry is already crowded enough.

If this is too confusing I'll remove the entire functionality in Send and simply make it a central configuration option and always use that.

However, I thought it'd be useful to give the option to use uBTC / mBTC for smaller sends and full BTC for larger ones... (and maybe also provide a hook to add other currencies later on)

FatherMcGruder

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2011, 04:49:24 PM

Happy? Smiley
So happy. Cheesy

Use my Trade Hill referral code: TH-R11519

Check out bitcoinity.org and Ripple.

Shameless display of my bitcoin address:
1Hio4bqPUZnhr2SWi4WgsnVU1ph3EkusvH
ercolinux
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2011, 01:12:31 PM

I've finished the RPM package. I've added a .desktop file so it can appear in kde menu. Tested on openmamba and it works smoothly.
The package is here: http://www.openmamba.org/distribution/distromatic.html?tag=devel-ercolinux&pkg=bitcoin-qt.i586

For the moment is in my personal testing repo - ASAP it will be tested on some other machines it will be ported in main repo.

ercolinux
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2011, 03:56:15 PM

I've finished the RPM package. I've added a .desktop file so it can appear in kde menu. Tested on openmamba and it works smoothly.
The package is here: http://www.openmamba.org/distribution/distromatic.html?tag=devel-ercolinux&pkg=bitcoin-qt.i586

For the moment is in my personal testing repo - ASAP it will be tested on some other machines it will be ported in main repo.

Tested and imported: now is mainstream in the distro. Package can be found here: http://www.openmamba.org/distribution/distromatic.html?tag=devel&pkg=bitcoin-qt.i586.

Due to the automatic update process of opemamba it will be a lot simplier to update the package if there will be a tarball of the source at every new release, in this case I'll try to keep the version updated with the git repo updating at least every 2 weeks (aside from august where I don't have internet access for 2-3 weeks).

wumpus (OP)

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 10:12:29 AM

Awesome!
Due to the automatic update process of opemamba it will be a lot simplier to update the package if there will be a tarball of the source at every new release
Yes -- I intend to do this. Currently I keep in sync with latest git, as there are still some very important bug fixes there, but it'd be more clear to release a bitcoin-qt version for each core version.

wumpus (OP)

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 04:37:14 PM
Last edit: July 31, 2011, 04:15:11 PM by John Smith

I've added another display configuration option to not show addresses in the transaction overview,

It changes...

To:

A lot less cluttered. You obviously will still see addresses which you haven't added to the address book (or have empty labels), and the tooltip (and transaction details) will show the full address.

wumpus (OP)

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 06:07:24 PM

OK I need some advice; what would be best to implement next? What feature is most desired? I have a few things planned, but need to prioritize them;

• Multiple wallet support. Create/Open/Close wallet file.
  • Drag&Drop / Copypaste Bitcoin URLs (if a scheme has been defined) from your browser or other programs. These would contain the destination address, label and optionally amount.
  • Print/import/export private keys (is done in core with pull request, just needs GUI)
  • Integrate wallet encryption (is done in core, just needs GUI)
  • Overview page: add most recent transactions
  • Show balances overview per label
  • Ubuntu unity side menu
  • Splash screen while loading (show what it is doing, as it can take a while before UI appears)

jimbo77

Activity: 224
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 06:17:51 PM

OK I need some advice; what would be best to implement next? What feature is most desired? I have a few things planned, but need to prioritize them;

• Multiple wallet support. Create/Open/Close wallet file.
  • Drag&Drop / Copypaste Bitcoin URLs (if a scheme has been defined) from your browser or other programs. These would contain the destination address, label and optionally amount.
  • Print/import/export private keys (is done in core with pull request, just needs GUI)
  • Integrate wallet encryption (is done in core, just needs GUI)
  • Overview page: add most recent transactions
  • Show balances overview per label
  • Ubuntu unity side menu
  • Splash screen while loading (show what it is doing, as it can take a while before UI appears)

How about the ability to right click a payment and select Re-Broadcast if it didn't broadcast. And the ability to delete the payment if it never broadcast anyways.
wumpus (OP)

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 06:43:21 PM

How about the ability to right click a payment and select Re-Broadcast if it didn't broadcast. And the ability to delete the payment if it never broadcast anyways.
As transactions are automatically (re-)broadcast, the number of users that needs this is really low. I'll add it to my todo list but cannot give it much priority (unless you pay for it). However, if anyone feels like implementing this be my guest.

drawoc

Activity: 168

Firstbits: 175wn

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 10:04:08 PM

I'd like to see wallet encryption and multiple wallet support first. The rest is just icing on the cake.

Anyway, thanks for doing all the work on this, it's really coming together nicely!

Donate: 175WNXmJ1WVhFgVGKUqEhYtAQGRYAvqPA
fornit

Activity: 991
Merit: 1008

View Profile
August 02, 2011, 12:53:09 AM

I'd like to see wallet encryption and multiple wallet support first. The rest is just icing on the cake.

Anyway, thanks for doing all the work on this, it's really coming together nicely!

+1

thats what really matters. and great job btw!

edit: splash screen would also be awesome. i know its mostly eyecandy, but the startup right now gives a totally horrible first impression.
alkor

Activity: 136

View Profile
August 02, 2011, 06:06:02 AM

When can we expect Bitcoin-Qt to be merged into the main tree, and released as the official client?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: