Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 02:42:15 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Namecoin Price Action  (Read 2799 times)
nameface (OP)

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 01:18:43 AM

Have you noticed that after a long slow decline in price namecoin has recently been surging. I bought a few coins today because I don't want to miss a big move.

I like that namecoin comes from the minds of Aaron Swartz and Satoshi. From what I can understand of it, I think it's good idea. I feel like it may have hit rock bottom at 0.002-0.003 btc level.

Namecoin is an idea that flows with the same concepts of anonymity and freedom that are driving bitcoin adoption. There's got to be some big purpose for namecoin... hasn't there?

Truth is I have no real use for NMC, and I can't even find a GUI wallet client. But I can see in their forums that they have a new release and that there is a good amount of activity http://dot-bit.org/forum/index.php, this alone was enough to keep me interested.

Can all good cryptos win?
nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2013, 01:29:01 AM

I'm holding a few for speculation but agree they could have some good practical purpose.

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
enquirer

Activity: 306
Merit: 257

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 01:40:49 AM

I think we need a namecoin fork, some parameters need tweaking
astutiumRob

Activity: 201
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2013, 02:19:05 AM

Only those that get widespread adoption as "accepted" for purchase of goods/services, and are readily exchangeable for other currencies (of any type)
Otherwise they're just "bits"

www.astutium.com - domains | hosting | vps | servers | cloud - proud to accept bitcoins. UK colocation for BFL and KNC ASICs in Tier3+ DC
Register Domains with BTC
Want to make some bitcoins ? Miner on ebay | Buy GH/s
Atruk

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 04:37:31 AM

Name coin would be one of the more useful ones to fork.

Only those that get widespread adoption as "accepted" for purchase of goods/services, and are readily exchangeable for other currencies (of any type)
Otherwise they're just "bits"

Namecoin doesn't necessarily need widespread adoption like some of them. Its uses beyond those as a currency give it some rather fun utility.

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 04:43:16 AM

NMC needs some serious development. I'm sure it will get some attention when Bitcoin goes mainstream.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Bitinvestor

Activity: 470

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 07:52:07 AM

I can see in their forums that they have a new release and that there is a good amount of activity http://dot-bit.org/forum/index.php

What? I can't find a new release and the forum is as dead as ever. I'd like to see namecoin succeed but it looks pretty stagnant to me, sorry.

Those who cause problems for others also cause problems for themselves.
nameface (OP)

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 03:07:06 PM

I can see in their forums that they have a new release and that there is a good amount of activity http://dot-bit.org/forum/index.php

What? I can't find a new release and the forum is as dead as ever. I'd like to see namecoin succeed but it looks pretty stagnant to me, sorry.

You're right, the latest release is actually pretty old, my bad. There's some activity there though.
pat1900

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 10:28:48 PM

The dot-bit.org place is a bit out of date as the domain registration idea turned out impractical for the moment. Unfortunately, this is where the name "Namecoin" came from.

Keep an eye on the Bitmessage discussion. If the Bitmessage thing using Bitcoin fails then others may try a similar thing based on the Namecoin blockchain. And there are a few more ideas floating around based on the NMC data storage feature, as

Namecoin can be used to register any other data types. They will all follow the same rules (expire time, data size limit, etc).
(from http://dot-bit.org/FAQ )

USD: 0.000 BTC       EUR: 0.000 BTC
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2013, 12:44:12 AM

Open Transactions recently upgraded its "nyms" system to be just one, and a simplistic one at that, of its identity systems; namecoin is one of the spaces in which it is intended that identities be anchorable.

Basically the original nym approach is simply to hash one's key; the new layers let you do things like go to a website or a bitcoin address or a namecoin namespace etc etc to access info about what keys nyms etc are the current non-revoked items that identity anchored at that source currently espouses or admits to type of thing.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
nameface (OP)

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 01:57:34 AM

Nice to see the recent NMC price jump to 0.004 BTC even amidst bitcoin's relentless rise.
But over the past few of days bitcoin price has gone crazy and namecoin couldn't keep up... currently trading all the way back down at 0.0019 :/
It's crazy action! And you don't hear that much talk about. You gotta love namecoin.
spacegoat

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

We are connected. you are me I am you.

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 11:46:39 AM

new cryptocurrency exchange is featuring namecoin

crypto-trade.com

I invested a while back into namecoin, and I even tried to buy a domain name.  but its like chinese to me.  it would be nice to get some developers to work on making it a bit more user friendly, once they do I can see namecoin taking off as far as value is concerned. 

and I really want a .bit address but its impossible to figure out!  where and who is the namecoin cult I summon you!

yeah baby yeah
nameface (OP)

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 01:09:44 PM

new cryptocurrency exchange is featuring namecoin

crypto-trade.com

I invested a while back into namecoin, and I even tried to buy a domain name.  but its like chinese to me.  it would be nice to get some developers to work on making it a bit more user friendly, once they do I can see namecoin taking off as far as value is concerned. 

and I really want a .bit address but its impossible to figure out!  where and who is the namecoin cult I summon you!

Alot of things re: namecoin are hard to figure out... We'll learn it all over time Smiley

Was looking forward to trying crypto-trade before they pushed back launch by two weeks :/
spacegoat

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

We are connected. you are me I am you.

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 10:31:45 PM

yeah I was invested in terracoin and it just got sketch so I moved my terracoin investment into namecoin and it looks like its on a good steady up and up thank god..

I still haven't been able to register any domain names yet though, maybe some developers will invest in satoshi's namecoin and help make the registration process super user friendly, then I see namecoin being a really awesome coin.

namecoin cult I summon you!  let's get namecoin a nice makeover before it gets traded on crypto-trade.com!!  I'll even offer some bounties.   I'm not rich but I'd be happy to chip into a namecoin development at least a bitcoin, but I have to see namecoin fully functional and user friendly. 

so that is my contribution if I see this happen, and anybody else wanting to add to my bounty feel free to do so any amount.

I'm good for it
here is my video and channel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvU5ukIQiuE

namashkaho matakwayasin

yeah baby yeah
gigabytecoin

Activity: 280
Merit: 252

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 08:55:33 PM

Namecoin spiked in price recently due to speculation that Mt. Gox was going to be implementing it's trading for USD on it's exchange.

It went as high as 0.025 NMC/BTC on vircurex at the peak of that speculation. Almost a 10x increase from the previous week's 0.002 average price.
khal

Activity: 540

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2013, 07:14:57 PM

I'm planning on spending some time on namecoin again. The price may fluctuate a bit :p
AlgoSwan

Activity: 308

ancap

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 09:26:49 PM

I think NMC/BTC prices are undervalued if we count current mining difficulty and limited-supply. By using difficulty ratio with bitcoins NMC/BTC rates should be around 0.1 to 0.05 - now current rate is 0.0047 according to btc-e and downtrend continues as merge miners (BTC miners) automatically sell their free NMC's. What do you think?

Looking to buy a verified betfair account with escrow.
dotbitme

Activity: 65
Merit: 2

dotbit.me

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2013, 10:27:41 PM

A new website I've been working on takes care of that and makes the process very simple. You can register a .bit domain in thee simple steps and you can at any time transfer your domain out to any other namecoin address for free.

Have a look: dotbit.me

Regards,
Tagide

Btcdiv.com - The ultimate source for bitcoin forks & airdrops | Dotbit.me - buy .bit domains for Bitcoins, Namecoins, altcoins or PayPal!
No_2

Activity: 901
Merit: 1033

BTC: the beginning of stake-based public resources

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 11:32:16 PM

+1 I'm keen for people to actually start using them. Think of all the possible applications...
lunarboy

Activity: 544

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 08:15:17 AM

Theres a lot of talk recently about P2P exchanges and I was wondering what the problems were with using namecoin as a base to build a P2P exchange?

Sort of like a unified Bitcoin payment ledger, (Fiat currency IOU's for each BTC amount), written in the namecoin blockchain, possibly built around an open source cloud based escrow.   The obvious flaw in this here would be the bottleneck of still requiring a physical bank account address to get fiat in and out of the system. Thats where I ran out of ideas??? could bitinstant or similar provide a clearing pool?

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: