Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 03:08:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Self-moderated topics  (Read 9055 times)
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12982

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 01:52:59 AM

In most sections, you now have the option of marking topics self-moderated when creating them. In self-moderated topics, the OP can delete replies. The option for enabling this is under "additional options". Topics cannot be converted to self-moderated topics after creation.

There are no rules to self-moderation. In self-moderated threads, replies belong to the OP. In other threads, replies belong to the respondents individually. Think carefully about whether you want to reply to a self-moderated topic, as your post may not be given due respect.

Tell me if there are any bugs. If this ends up not working out well, I might remove it.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 01:56:41 AM

i think anyone who understands the above post, would understand the labeling better if it were called 'OP-moderated'

i don't think 'self-moderated' is quite the right name
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 01:57:59 AM

i think anyone who understands the above post, would understand the labeling better if it were called 'OP-moderated'

True...  People aren't moderating it themselves, which is the impression I got Tongue

Atruk

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 02:09:56 AM

In most sections, you now have the option of marking topics self-moderated when creating them. In self-moderated topics, the OP can delete replies. The option for enabling this is under "additional options". Topics cannot be converted to self-moderated topics after creation.

There are no rules to self-moderation. In self-moderated threads, replies belong to the OP. In other threads, replies belong to the respondents individually. Think carefully about whether you want to reply to a self-moderated topic, as your post may not be given due respect.

Tell me if there are any bugs. If this ends up not working out well, I might remove it.

Sounds like an interesting way to support the forum's free speech agenda without having to pull moderators into every little spat.

Entropy-uc

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 02:18:52 AM

Rather than deleting posts, which will enable scammers to hide any dissent, a user moderated forum should allow banning of posters.

If a poster is clearly trolling his posts stay, but once banned he can no longer participate.

A list of banned posters for the thread rapidly makes it clear if the thread moderator is using the ban hammer to encourage useful discussion, or create a cult of personality for themselves.
repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 02:20:20 AM

This is just going to increase forum clutter and encourage twenty threads on the same topic.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 02:32:07 AM

This is just going to increase forum clutter and encourage twenty threads on the same topic.

That's a separate problem that's not properly solved by trying to limit the number of topics.

poly

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

Weighted companion cube

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 05:47:54 AM

Definitely an interesting feature for a forum - will users see when posts are deleted? Maybe a message saying "poly has deleted foo's post"?

poly | My Tip Jar
poly

Weighted companion cube

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 05:53:24 AM

Self-moderated topics? Can you say what boards this applies too? This is going to be bad if it is on certain boards, cause some people can edit threads to benefit them, I really hope it is just the off-topic board.
I think on boards like Gambling, Games and Rounds, this would work quite well, maybe also announcement / support threads.

Probably not scammer accusations.

poly | My Tip Jar
poly

Weighted companion cube

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 05:58:05 AM

Allowing self moderation for announcement threads would allow services to link directly to the thread without worrying some competitor is going to plug their business or troll there, through.

poly | My Tip Jar
poly

Weighted companion cube

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 06:06:41 AM

There also seems to be no usage of this feature (yet).

poly | My Tip Jar
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 06:09:28 AM

will users see when posts are deleted?

No. I might add that later, but it's not a trivial change.

Self-moderated topics? Can you say what boards this applies too? This is going to be bad if it is on certain boards, cause some people can edit threads to benefit them, I really hope it is just the off-topic board.

The excluded sections are Meta (except for this topic), Scam Accusations, Important Announcements, and Auctions. Tagged scammers can't use this feature. You don't have to participate in self-moderated topics if you're worried about manipulation by the OP.

poly

Weighted companion cube

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 06:14:15 AM

There might be a bug with other people (not OP) being able to delete posts in self moderated posts?

poly | My Tip Jar
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 06:17:53 AM

I believe that Phinnaeus Gage is lying, unless others can confirm.

poly

Weighted companion cube

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 06:18:36 AM

Goat is lying too?

poly | My Tip Jar
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1226

Away on an extended break

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 06:19:44 AM

I believe that Phinnaeus Gage is lying, unless others can confirm.
Uh, what did PG said?
poly

Weighted companion cube

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 06:20:33 AM

It's this thread:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=152935.0

poly | My Tip Jar
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 06:27:55 AM

Goat is lying too?

Goat is, like you, assuming that what he read is true without verifying it. Notice that this thread is also self-moderated, yet you can't delete posts here.

BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2013, 12:15:02 PM

Meh, really it's no different than the current local thread rules (except most people don't even know/use it). There should probably be notifications of some sort though.

Does deleting someone's post remove the thread from the watchlist? I know it removes it from "show new replies to your posts", if it's not an old post at least.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 12:21:10 PM

1. Can the OP edit the posters' posts in his thread too?
2. Are moderators able to see the posts deleted(/edited?) by the OP like they can see in normal threads?

Signature space available for rent.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2013, 12:33:22 PM

1. Can the OP edit the posters' posts in his thread too?

No way.

2. Are moderators able to see the posts deleted(/edited?) by the OP like they can see in normal threads?

No, we don't see deleted posts. If we want to "delete" something but keep it visible to us or other mods for whatever reason we have a trash can forum available to us we can move it to.

Perhaps that would be an easier solution than notifications or marking deleted posts, a read only subforum where all user deleted posts are moved, available for all to read.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
makomk

Activity: 686
Merit: 564

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 12:34:40 PM

I don't think the warning is clear enough, it should read something like this:

High scam risk! This is a self-moderated topic. The original poster can delete replies, including ones which point out fraud or dishonesty by them. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.

Because on past experience that's what this is going to be used for, just like the local thread rules were.

Edit: The current warning also doesn't mention that deleted posts disappear completely, so there's no way for normal users to tell if the feature's been used to delete posts.

Quad XC6SLX150 Board: 860 MHash/s or so.
SIGS ABOUT BUTTERFLY LABS ARE PAID ADS
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 10:54:39 PM

I can see this being abused by scammers.

1. Create a selling/lending topic with normally unacceptable terms
2. delete any posts saying opposing you
3. Huh
4. profit off newbies

if it wasn't self moderated, experienced members can warn new users that the lender is risky, or in case of goods/services, illegal/bogus/fake/ovepriced

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 11:10:12 PM

I don't see this being used beyond the novelty factor. Most people don't even know it exists.
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2013, 04:23:23 PM

I REALLY like this idea,

Time for people to stay on topic and back their claims.
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 05:37:23 PM

What I'll probably do is have PMs be automatically sent to people who get their posts deleted.

Does deleting someone's post remove the thread from the watchlist?

No.

TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2013, 07:01:23 AM

THANK YOU THEYMOS!
Zeeks

Activity: 180
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 07:38:26 AM

Good for keeping trolls at bay but terrible for freedom of speech. Just delete any post questioning you. I can see it working out very badly for some types of threads which benefit greatly from open discussion.
Entropy-uc

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 05:23:21 AM
Last edit: March 17, 2013, 01:48:51 PM by Entropy-uc

I don't think the warning is clear enough, it should read something like this:

High scam risk! This is a self-moderated topic. The original poster can delete replies, including ones which point out fraud or dishonesty by them. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.

Because on past experience that's what this is going to be used for, just like the local thread rules were.

Edit: The current warning also doesn't mention that deleted posts disappear completely, so there's no way for normal users to tell if the feature's been used to delete posts.

Makomk is 100% right.

Seriously Theymos, sometimes I wonder if you like having the forum full of scammers.  Anyone with a basic knowledge of financial history knew Pirate was a scammer.  How much more money would he have succeeded in stealing off participants here if he could delete posts, and use his cadre of believers to keep his threads at the top of the page?
Monster Tent

Activity: 238

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 10:24:46 AM

Scams can and do happen but making it easier to scam people is not cool at all.

Jaw3bmasters

Activity: 196

Another block in the wall

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 11:18:10 AM

Perhaps that would be an easier solution than notifications or marking deleted posts, a read only subforum where all user deleted posts are moved, available for all to read.

We need to somehow see deleted posts because.......

Seriously Theymos, sometimes I wonder if you like having the forum full of scammers.  Anyone with a basic knowledge of financial history knew Pirate was a scammer.  How much more money would he have succeeded in stealing of participants here if he could delete posts, and use his cadre of believers to keep his threads at the top of the page?

I can see this being abused by scammers.

1. Create a selling/lending topic with normally unacceptable terms
2. delete any posts saying opposing you
3. Huh
4. profit off newbies

if it wasn't self moderated, experienced members can warn new users that the lender is risky, or in case of goods/services, illegal/bogus/fake/ovepriced

In Cryptography we trust.
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 10:57:16 PM

preferably in the self moderated topic, in bold print. that way, if someone reads the topic, sees there are 50 deleted posts, and the remaining 12 posts are all positive, they can notice.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
payb.tc

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 01:19:34 AM

preferably in the self moderated topic, in bold print. that way, if someone reads the topic, sees there are 50 deleted posts, and the remaining 12 posts are all positive, they can notice.

wouldn't that make it way too easy to get 'legit' threads to look suspicious? just post 50 off-topic replies, wait for OP to delete them.
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 02:03:05 AM

You will now receive a PM whenever someone deletes one of your replies. This includes deletions by regular moderators. I will probably extend this to other mod actions in the near future.

Zeeks

Activity: 180

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 04:13:53 AM

You will now receive a PM whenever someone deletes one of your replies. This includes deletions by regular moderators. I will probably extend this to other mod actions in the near future.

Does the PM have the text from the deleted post?
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 04:29:15 AM

Meh, really it's no different than the current local thread rules (except most people don't even know/use it). There should probably be notifications of some sort though.
Since it seems a lot of people neglected to read BB's post... a bump. There have been "local thread rules" for as long as I can remember here, and are a privilege I've used and enjoyed. Allowing OP-moderation beyond "hey theymos, some guy posted a response here saying his dick is bigger than mine, but I made a rule against that. Please delete his big dick." just makes the whole process much more efficient.
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 05:21:44 AM

Does the PM have the text from the deleted post?

Yes.

eldentyrell
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

felonious vagrancy, personified

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2013, 07:07:36 AM

Definitely an interesting feature for a forum - will users see when posts are deleted? Maybe a message saying "poly has deleted foo's post"?

That is a really good idea.

The printing press heralded the end of the Dark Ages and made the Enlightenment possible, but it took another three centuries before any country managed to put freedom of the press beyond the reach of legislators.  So it may take a while before cryptocurrencies are free of the AML-NSA-KYC surveillance plague.
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 11:54:51 PM

So, I verified that people other than the OP aren't able to delete posts in self-moderated topics. During my cleanup of that, however, the deletion I did of the post I made on my other account (which I made because that was the easiest way to get a session ID) via my Global Moderator account resulted in this message:
A reply of yours, quoted below, was deleted by the starter of a self-moderated topic.
I don't know whether this was intentional or not (since mods can delete posts that violate local rules even when the OP isn't around), but I thought that I'd give a heads-up.

theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 03:18:30 AM

So, I verified that people other than the OP aren't able to delete posts in self-moderated topics. During my cleanup of that, however, the deletion I did of the post I made on my other account (which I made because that was the easiest way to get a session ID) via my Global Moderator account resulted in this message:
A reply of yours, quoted below, was deleted by the starter of a self-moderated topic.
I don't know whether this was intentional or not (since mods can delete posts that violate local rules even when the OP isn't around), but I thought that I'd give a heads-up.

Fixed.

theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 11:49:23 PM

Is the self moderated topic option only grated to certain people?
Or don't I have it because I being on many ignores has consequences now beside a bright yellow banner?

I'm not complaining I just wanna know. Grin

You might not see it because you're not using the default theme.

LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16624

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2017, 02:09:14 PM

When searching to make a new thread about self-moderation, I stumbled on this 4 year old thread. Allow me to mega-kick it with a feature request:

Feature request
Would it be possible to block users on my Ignore list from posting in my self-moderated threads?

Reason
I've now converted 3 of my threads to self-moderated, to end spam. My biggest (giveaway) thread collected an estimated 2000 non-qualifying spam-posts in 8.5 months. I add all of them to my personal blacklist, and click "Ignore" on Bitcointalk so they're easy to spot in the future. Every day I delete several posts from Ignored users.
If they simply can't post in my thread, Ignoring them once is enough to get rid of them forever, instead of deleting their posts every day over and over again.

Credits
It's not my own idea, someone else mentioned it somewhere. Unfortunately, I can't find it back to give credits.

vikingchild

Activity: 224

View Profile
October 28, 2017, 04:12:46 AM

Feature Request:

Banning certain users from writing in the self-moderated thread. It is time-consuming having to clean out a self-moderated thread from someone to persistently spams, as she/he knows nothing will be done about it. I have reported such users 20+ times, but that does not lead to anything. It seems the only way around this is a script that runs on the client side to tackle this automatically and that is hardly ideal.
hilariousetc
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 3030

Join the world-leading crypto sportsbook NOW!

View Profile
October 28, 2017, 05:47:31 AM

Yeah, that would be useful and it's something I've proposed before. I doubt it'll be developed on this forum but hopefully more self-mod features will be available on the new one. Another useful feature would be banning by entire member group. So for example you could prohibit Newbies or Juniors etc from claiming giveaways etc. It would also be useful if you had a troublesome member who kept coming back on brand new accounts.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
ziya1453

Activity: 1358
Merit: 193

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 03:46:49 PM

hi i make self moderated topic. but cant see delete option?
only quite option in others messages. delete option only in my own messages.
any help, thanks.
InvoKing
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1065

✋(▀Ĺ̯ ▀-͠ )

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2018, 07:54:27 PM

any help, thanks.

Can you link the self moderated topic you are talking about? I checked the 7 topics that you started and didn't find any self moderated one.

PSPD:law and order enforcement!
Press Section Police Department!
ziya1453

Activity: 1358
Merit: 193

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 08:20:15 PM

any help, thanks.

Can you link the self moderated topic you are talking about? I checked the 7 topics that you started and didn't find any self moderated one.
Hi thanks for your answer. İt must be last one and yes when i check its not self moderated. İ think i made a mistake when i make topic. Double check next time.
JeremyB

Merit: 270

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 09:06:43 AM

I have a question: on this kind of topic, when a user uses the "Report to moderator" feature, does the OP receive an email or the email is still send to the usual section moderator?
asche
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1489

I forgot more than you will ever know.

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 09:51:04 AM

True...  People aren't moderating it themselves, which is the impression I got Tongue

That's how it is named by the forum engine.

hilariousetc
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 3030

Join the world-leading crypto sportsbook NOW!

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 11:37:24 AM

I have a question: on this kind of topic, when a user uses the "Report to moderator" feature, does the OP receive an email or the email is still send to the usual section moderator?

No, the op receives nothing. It's all anonymous apart from staff who have access to the report queue and they may receive an email about the report.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
JeremyB

Merit: 270

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 07:17:10 PM

OK thanks, so the OP can't count on other users to help moderating his topic, he's on his own.
InvoKing
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1065

✋(▀Ĺ̯ ▀-͠ )

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2018, 09:00:33 PM

No, the op receives nothing. It's all anonymous apart from staff who have access to the report queue and they may receive an email about the report.

Including the huge Wall observer topic in speculation?
I think that i read somewhere that the OP is the one who will receive reported messages. I may be wrong or misunderstood the information weeks ago.

OK thanks, so the OP can't count on other users to help moderating his topic, he's on his own.
PM is the only alternative [in-forums] if required.

PSPD:law and order enforcement!
Press Section Police Department!
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: