Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:18:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Sending a message with a transactions  (Read 2002 times)
TheCryptoMint (OP)

Activity: 113
Merit: 11

View Profile
June 27, 2016, 01:15:35 PM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

Would any one kindly tell me how to send a message with a bitcoin transaction please? Either with a trezor or web wallet.

Thank you.
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
--Encrypted--
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1007

hee-ho.

View Profile
June 27, 2016, 01:28:03 PM
Last edit: June 27, 2016, 01:38:23 PM by --Encrypted--
Merited by ABCbits (1)

there's no reliable way to send a message with bitcoin transaction. unless you wanna use the OP_return script which have a limit of 80 bytes of hex characters.

edit (someone replied with this but the post is gone.):
there's the blockchain.info transaction note, but those notes can only be seen using bc.i's explorer.
lolxxxx
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2016, 01:41:42 PM

You can use Blockchain.info (web wallet) , while sending transaction go to custom send tab and put any note you want to send and the transaction will be processed with custom note (message) .
defcon23
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 27, 2016, 03:04:55 PM

Would any one kindly tell me how to send a message with a bitcoin transaction please? Either with a trezor or web wallet.

Thank you.
you can use OP return scripts , or you can  have a look in this thread : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=524877.0

this service is interesting since they have improved their sytsem in the new version , wich is able to upload images too now..  ( not free)

or you can give a try here too : https://stamp.io/   where you can upload files form your computer to the blockchain  ( free)
hexafraction

Activity: 392
Merit: 259

Tips welcomed: 1CF4GhXX1RhCaGzWztgE1YZZUcSpoqTbsJ

View Profile
June 27, 2016, 03:49:52 PM

or you can give a try here too : https://stamp.io/   where you can upload files form your computer to the blockchain  ( free)

Isn't stamp.io just an upload of a timestamped hash of the document?

I have recently become active again after a long period of inactivity. Cryptographic proof that my account has not been compromised is available.
defcon23
Legendary

View Profile
June 27, 2016, 04:17:57 PM

or you can give a try here too : https://stamp.io/  where you can upload files form your computer to the blockchain  ( free)

yeah , exactly: it's like a Notarization certificate
"This is to certify that the dataset or file referred here under was notarized in the date and time printed down below by the person identified as "signee"
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4606

View Profile
June 27, 2016, 04:20:57 PM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

Assuming multiple people (or multiple documents) are using the service, it's not even a timestamped hash of the document if I remember correctly.

I believe they hash all the documents, then they create a hash of the hashes (something like a merkle tree).  It's that hash of the hashes that they then store in the blockchain to establish a proof of existence with the block timestamp.

You would need access to not only the original document, but also to all the other hashes in the set to prove the timestamp on any specific document.  I don't know if stamp.io stores the documents on their servers or makes them publicly available, but I doubt it.
defcon23
Legendary

View Profile
June 27, 2016, 05:35:12 PM

Assuming multiple people (or multiple documents) are using the service, it's not even a timestamped hash of the document if I remember correctly.

I believe they hash all the documents, then they create a hash of the hashes (something like a merkle tree).  It's that hash of the hashes that they then store in the blockchain to establish a proof of existence with the block timestamp.

You would need access to not only the original document, but also to all the other hashes in the set to prove the timestamp on any specific document.  I don't know if stamp.io stores the documents on their servers or makes them publicly available, but I doubt it.

yeah that's correct , as an exemple , here's a sample of one doc uploaded on stamp.io ( this one is about an ometeotl coin COA's  certification) , but you can upload any docs, ie : pictures ...
exemple:
https://stamp.io/stamp/ip8nznz7
TheCryptoMint (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2016, 07:10:07 PM

You can use Blockchain.info (web wallet) , while sending transaction go to custom send tab and put any note you want to send and the transaction will be processed with custom note (message) .

So how do you see this custom note/ message? I presume you cant see it in a normal Bitcoin wallet like multibit etc?
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
June 27, 2016, 07:13:06 PM

So how do you see this custom note/ message? I presume you cant see it in a normal Bitcoin wallet like multibit etc?

No. There is no mechanism right now for transmitting messages on the Bitcoin network or showing them "in a normal Bitcoin wallet like multibit".
Decoded
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1029

give me your cryptos

View Profile
June 28, 2016, 01:50:32 AM

You can't. You need your private key to make a signed message, but if you're meaning embedding a tx into the blockchain, you can use OP_RETURN or something like www.cryptograffiti.info.

looking for a signature campaign, dm me for that
TheCryptoMint (OP)

View Profile
June 30, 2016, 09:41:28 AM

So if I send a message with blockchain.info then to read the message you must search for the public key in blockchain.info?

DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
June 30, 2016, 11:11:42 AM

So if I send a message with blockchain.info then to read the message you must search for the public key in blockchain.info?

If you send a message with blockchain.info, then to read it you must find the message in the blockchain.info service.  This can be accomplished by searching for the bitcoin address or transaction ID on the blockchain.info website.
TheCryptoMint (OP)

View Profile
June 30, 2016, 11:45:18 AM

If you send a message with blockchain.info, then to read it you must find the message in the blockchain.info service.  This can be accomplished by searching for the bitcoin address or transaction ID on the blockchain.info website.

Excellent. But this is not stored in the blockchain then? Its just a feature of the blockchain.info site?
Regards,
Matthew
mocacinno
Legendary

Merit: 4917

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2016, 11:47:58 AM

If you send a message with blockchain.info, then to read it you must find the message in the blockchain.info service.  This can be accomplished by searching for the bitcoin address or transaction ID on the blockchain.info website.

Excellent. But this is not stored in the blockchain then? Its just a feature of the blockchain.info site?
Regards,
Matthew

It's just a blockchain.info feature, they're just a company that happens to have the same name as blockchain (technology) which makes the whole thing a bit confusing from time to time.
Your assumption is indeed correct: they (blockchain.info, the company) store your message in their internal database and link it to a transaction (note), or an address (tag).
Blockchain.info (company) parses the blockchain (technology) and stores everything in their own database and lets you link notes and tags  in their internal database.
This process has nothing to do with the blockchain (technology).

If blockchain.info (company) ever goes bancrupt, gets hacked, dissapears,... All notes and tags that were done on blockchain.info will be gone forever.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
TheCryptoMint (OP)

View Profile
June 30, 2016, 12:22:57 PM

If you send a message with blockchain.info, then to read it you must find the message in the blockchain.info service.  This can be accomplished by searching for the bitcoin address or transaction ID on the blockchain.info website.

Regards,
Matthew

It's just a blockchain.info feature, they're just a company that happens to have the same name as blockchain (technology) which makes the whole thing a bit confusing from time to time.
Your assumption is indeed correct: they (blockchain.info, the company) store your message in their internal database and link it to a transaction (note), or an address (tag).
Blockchain.info (company) parses the blockchain (technology) and stores everything in their own database and lets you link notes and tags  in their internal database.

If blockchain.info (company) ever goes bancrupt, gets hacked, dissapears,... All notes and tags that were done on blockchain.info will be gone forever.

Hmmm so back to the original question then I guess. For a non tech guy like me what is the best way to send a 6 digit message with a transaction that will be in the block chain forever Smiley
mocacinno
Legendary

Merit: 4917

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2016, 12:47:32 PM
Last edit: June 30, 2016, 01:00:05 PM by mocacinno

Regards,
Matthew

Hmmm so back to the original question then I guess. For a non tech guy like me what is the best way to send a 6 digit message with a transaction that will be in the block chain forever Smiley

I don't really have experience in this kind of thing, but if you read this blog for example, things should become pretty clear:
https://www.wlangiewicz.com/2014/10/24/how-to-put-custom-messages-into-bitcoin-blockchain-op_return/

The easyest way to do it seems to be this library: https://github.com/coinspark/php-OP_RETURN
The thing is, you'll need a LAMP (or possibly WAMP) stack + bitcoin daemon to do this...

The other option would be to bloat the blockchain... If you want to send the message "152365" (a six digit message, like you said), you could create a transaction with a very small output to address 1Proof152365ProofD2P2BUH6HoTbuKNWQ The downside is that all the nodes on the network will allways keep the unspent output in their memory. The output of the transaction will always stay unspent, since nobody has the private key to controll 1Proof152365ProofD2P2BUH6HoTbuKNWQ.
The other downside is that each "message" will cost at least a couple cents (fee + couple satoshi's as output), in contrast to the OP_RETURN-method (the output can be used as an input, thus spent again, and it'll only cost you the miner's fee).

Once again: i'm not an expert in this... My explanation might be off on the technical level, or there might be other ways to do this... But this is how i understand it.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
hexafraction

Activity: 392
Merit: 259

Tips welcomed: 1CF4GhXX1RhCaGzWztgE1YZZUcSpoqTbsJ

View Profile
June 30, 2016, 01:48:47 PM

I don't really have experience in this kind of thing, but if you read this blog for example, things should become pretty clear:
https://www.wlangiewicz.com/2014/10/24/how-to-put-custom-messages-into-bitcoin-blockchain-op_return/

The easyest way to do it seems to be this library: https://github.com/coinspark/php-OP_RETURN
The thing is, you'll need a LAMP (or possibly WAMP) stack + bitcoin daemon to do this...

The other option would be to bloat the blockchain... If you want to send the message "152365" (a six digit message, like you said), you could create a transaction with a very small output to address 1Proof152365ProofD2P2BUH6HoTbuKNWQ The downside is that all the nodes on the network will allways keep the unspent output in their memory. The output of the transaction will always stay unspent, since nobody has the private key to controll 1Proof152365ProofD2P2BUH6HoTbuKNWQ.
The other downside is that each "message" will cost at least a couple cents (fee + couple satoshi's as output), in contrast to the OP_RETURN-method (the output can be used as an input, thus spent again, and it'll only cost you the miner's fee).

Once again: i'm not an expert in this... My explanation might be off on the technical level, or there might be other ways to do this... But this is how i understand it.

This isn't a good idea, because the output will remain in the UTXO set, and thus use some network resources. OP_RETURNs can be sent with a minimal size (one satoshi+fee) from a reasonably-sized input (the remainder can be sent as change back to the sender's wallet) and don't pollute the UTXO set.

I have recently become active again after a long period of inactivity. Cryptographic proof that my account has not been compromised is available.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
June 30, 2016, 01:56:06 PM
Merited by ad19900913 (1)

That depends on what you are trying to do.

If you just want to embed a message permanently in the blockchain for anyone to go see any time they want as long as Bitcoin continues to exist, then you should use OP_RETURN.  I think there are some services that will help you create an OP_RETURN message, but if you have the ability to sign raw transactions (such as with the Bitcoin Core wallet), then it isn't super difficult to do.

If you want to transmit your message to someone in a way that they can easily see it in their wallet, then you need some other crypto-currency. Bitcoin isn't designed as a messaging system.
Karartma1
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1422

View Profile
June 30, 2016, 02:48:44 PM

That depends on what you are trying to do.

If you just want to embed a message permanently in the blockchain for anyone to go see any time they want as long as Bitcoin continues to exist, then you [...]

then you could use this service called Eternity Wall as well
http://eternitywall.it/

It's also a good way to pass some time when you can since you can find such pearls

http://eternitywall.it/m/d4253deff6eb8ed5fe8ce8c87338fda78d4589a9e329ac380f904e13792d826f

hope it helps
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: