Bitcoin Forum
July 29, 2024, 10:30:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin-qt catching up ridiculously slowly  (Read 1103 times)
riofantastic (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 02:26:54 AM

Hello all,

I recently loaded my bitcoin client for the first time in a few months in order to receive some bitcoins. I sent the bitcoins about two hours ago and was surprised to find they still hadn't shown up in my bitcoin client. I deduced the reason is that it's still catching up - it says the last block received was generated 240 days ago and the catching up is going unbearably slowly. I remember it going a lot quicker the last time but for some reason it's going really slowly now - how can I speed it up without sabotaging the bitcoins I'm set to receive?

Thanks!
URSAY
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 02:40:09 AM

You can't speed it up.  Your coins will arrive once the download has completed.   Smiley
christop

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 02:46:54 AM

I have the same problem. I started Bitcoin-qt 5 days ago and it's only at 96% (last block was generated 57 days ago). That's with version 0.7.2.0.

On the other hand, I started version 0.8-beta around the same time and it completed within a day. I think the database storage is much more efficient on 0.8. If you're using a 0.7 client, try switching to 0.8. I don't know if you have to wipe out the old blockchain first or if Bitcoin-qt will automatically upgrade it.

Oh, and from what I understand of Bitcoin, nothing you do in your client can "sabotage" the bitcoins you're about to receive. The client may not record the transaction properly (and you may have to do something like clear the blockchain and restart the client), but the transaction will still be recorded "in the cloud", so to speak. As long as you still have access to your wallet, you'll be able to spend whatever you receive.

Tips are always welcome: 17Z63hLi2ox4fCMhDqVJrLTJiXVcBMJpMo
Alpaca socks donations: 1sockzDWcF8mrC59CgiN7HAJm6xL7TiRW
DruffDuff

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 05:16:12 AM

It happens. A buddy came over tonight and noticed the slow sync. I'm told it's normal.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: