Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 03:19:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Have either of these been done yet?  (Read 1022 times)
Melbustus (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 07:37:35 AM

While eating lunch at a restaurant today, I was wondering if a couple things have been done in bitcoin-land yet:

1) Loadable paper cash
As we were leaving the restaurant, we left a few bills on the table for the tip. Can we do this with bitcoin yet? I know there are a number of physical bill solutions, but it'd be nice to be able to load them with precise amounts quickly when needed. This essentially amounts to paper Casascius coins... Something with the pub address (and QR) visible, but the private key hidden via some tamper-evident seal.

2) Edible bitcoin
I heard of a place that sells a $1000 ice-cream sunday. Something about edible gold flakes in it or something (sounds sketchy, but that's beside the point). Anyways, that could be done with private keys. "Print" the key on chocolate flakes or something (delete any other copies, obv), then crumble and eat. This would be horrifically decadent, which is obviously the point for idiots who buy such things...

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
LordCadaver

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 07:41:04 AM

Check this out.

http://localbitcoins.blogspot.fi/2012/11/start-your-own-money-press.html
sounds

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

1221iZanNi5igK7oAA7AWmYjpsyjsRbLLZ

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 07:45:57 AM

I agree with deathcode, the private key should not be hidden behind a seal. (Casascius coins hide the key for a different reason.)

However, that doesn't mean the private key should be printed in big block letters on the front. It might be possible to hide the key by folding the paper.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4501

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 07:58:10 AM

While eating lunch at a restaurant today, I was wondering if a couple things have been done in bitcoin-land yet:

1) Loadable paper cash
As we were leaving the restaurant, we left a few bills on the table for the tip. Can we do this with bitcoin yet? I know there are a number of physical bill solutions, but it'd be nice to be able to load them with precise amounts quickly when needed. This essentially amounts to paper Casascius coins... Something with the pub address (and QR) visible, but the private key hidden via some tamper-evident seal.

2) Edible bitcoin
I heard of a place that sells a $1000 ice-cream sunday. Something about edible gold flakes in it or something (sounds sketchy, but that's beside the point). Anyways, that could be done with private keys. "Print" the key on chocolate flakes or something (delete any other copies, obv), then crumble and eat. This would be horrifically decadent, which is obviously the point for idiots who buy such things...
1.Yes
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=92969.0
http://printcoins.com/colors
www.bitaddress.org then click paperwallet

2.yes
http://bitchocolate.com/ - they dont contain private keys. but they are bitcoin designs made of chocolate

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Zebulon Pike

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 05:05:36 PM

2) Edible bitcoin

Not this.  While it is decadent to eat money or gold, you aren't really harming the economy by doing so because there is an essentially limitless supply of both (gold is debatable, but most estimates suggest that as technology improves we will be able to access more and more of the gold in the earth, not to mention space).

The only way that this is an analogue would be by destroying private keys that don't exist anywhere else, thereby removing those coins from circulation permanently (otherwise, you might as well just eat a piece of paper with "bitc0inz" written on it).  By willfully destroying bitcoins, which are already in a very limited supply and are poised to become only more scarce as early adopters die off (presumably not everyone has an iron-clad system for making sure their wallets survive them), you will damage an already small monetary supply.
Melbustus (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 05:17:42 PM

2) Edible bitcoin

Not this.  While it is decadent to eat money or gold, you aren't really harming the economy by doing so because there is an essentially limitless supply of both (gold is debatable, but most estimates suggest that as technology improves we will be able to access more and more of the gold in the earth, not to mention space).

The only way that this is an analogue would be by destroying private keys that don't exist anywhere else, thereby removing those coins from circulation permanently (otherwise, you might as well just eat a piece of paper with "bitc0inz" written on it).  By willfully destroying bitcoins, which are already in a very limited supply and are poised to become only more scarce as early adopters die off (presumably not everyone has an iron-clad system for making sure their wallets survive them), you will damage an already small monetary supply.

Yeah, it's a pretty obnoxious idea. It'll happen sooner or later.

But it's not such a harm on the economy....it would just raise the value of the rest of the bitcoins, which is fine (unless the value of 1 Satoshi is more than, say, $0.001). But I agree that the notion "feels" more offensive than eating gold.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 05:46:52 PM

you will damage an already small monetary supply
False, you only damage yourself. The other bitcoin will only become more valuable, and the monetary supply can be subdivided at will. 1 satoshi can become 1000 millisatoshi.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: