Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 07:30:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoin.org unannounced downtime?  (Read 553 times)
Blinken (OP)

Activity: 338
Merit: 253

View Profile
June 28, 2016, 09:29:33 AM

Has bitcoin.org announced downtime? If so, I did not see it in service announcements. I think going down without announcing is really irresponsible.

Bitcoin ♦♦♦ Trust in Mathematics, Not Bankers ♦♦♦

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
sulendra12

Activity: 2814
Merit: 526

Undeads.com - P2E Runner Game

View Profile
June 28, 2016, 09:34:26 AM

Now it's down. I cannot access the site anymore.
What happened with bitcoin.org ?

💀|.
   ▄▄▄▄█▄▄              ▄▄█▀▀  ▄▄▄▄▄█      ▄▄    ▄█▄
  ▀▀▀████████▄  ▄██    ███▀ ▄████▀▀▀     ▄███   ▄███
    ███▀▄▄███▀ ███▀   ███▀  ▀█████▄     ▄███   ████▄
  ▄███████▀   ███   ▄███       ▀▀████▄▄███████████▀
▀▀███▀▀███    ███ ▄████       ▄▄████▀▀████   ▄███
 ██▀    ▀██▄  ██████▀▀   ▄▄█████▀▀   ███▀   ▄██▀
          ▀▀█  ▀▀▀▀ ▄██████▀▀       ███▀    █▀
                                      ▀
.PLAY2EARN.RUNNER.GAME.
||VIRAL
REF.SYSTEM
GAME
|
████████████████████████████
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
Blinken (OP)

View Profile
June 28, 2016, 09:45:36 AM

It came back up at 9:44 AM Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Down for about an hour and a half

Losers

What kind of clowns are running that operation? For all we know some hacker just replaced all the downloads with hacked versions and rebooted the server.

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2016, 11:02:42 AM

Do you need a tinfoil hat? How about you just relax? Every website goes down occasionally, e.g. it could be a problem of the website itself, a problem with their hosting provider and such. The downtime was very short.

What kind of clowns are running that operation?
Calling them "clowns" doesn't make you look like a genius either.

For all we know some hacker just replaced all the downloads with hacked versions and rebooted the server.
That's doubtful at best. You can always download them from somewhere else (a few people compile each version) or compile them yourself.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Blinken (OP)

View Profile
June 28, 2016, 12:07:41 PM

Either way they should have announced it.

To take a critical server down for an hour and a half without pre-announcing it is really amateurish.

This should NEVER happen, because they should have dual homed servers, so if one has a power-supply failure or whatever, the other is still operating.

After an outage to occur, not to immediately post an announcement is completely unprofssional. Any announcement should be describing the outage, apologizing for incompetence and explaining what they are going to do to make sure it never happens again.

This is not 1995. There is no excuse for a well-run web site to ever go down. The technology for running reliably 24-7 exists and that the controllers of bitcoin.org do not know how to use this technology is inexcusable for a service which is critical for many thousands of people.

Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2016, 12:11:43 PM

The technology for running reliably 24-7 exists and that the controllers of bitcoin.org do not know how to use this technology is inexcusable for a service which is critical for many thousands of people.
What are you talking about? "Critical for many thousands of people"? I don't think I've been to that website more than a dozen of times, and it is usually when linking information for someone new. There are other resources that explain Bitcoin properly and give adequate links to wallets and service. I don't think there's a need to make a big fuss about such short downtime.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Blinken (OP)

View Profile
June 28, 2016, 12:44:13 PM

Yeah, well I do think there is a need, and that need is integrity. Bitcoins most valuable asset is its integrity. People do not use money when there are questions about its integrity.

Having the main Bitcoin website go down randomly with no explanation undermines the integrity and image of reliability that Bitcoin is supposed to have and depends on to become an important monetary standard.

Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2016, 12:59:52 PM

Yeah, well I do think there is a need, and that need is integrity. Bitcoins most valuable asset is its integrity. People do not use money when there are questions about its integrity.
I'm not saying that they've handled the situation correctly, I'm saying that there needs to be no panic.

Having the main Bitcoin website go down randomly with no explanation undermines the integrity and image of reliability that Bitcoin is supposed to have and depends on to become an important monetary standard.
I disagree. A website is a centralized structure that is not correlated to the decentralized structure of Bitcoin and as such it can not impact the integrity nor the reliability of the network itself. Also, there is no such thing as "main Bitcoin website". I'd call it the 'most popular Bitcoin website'.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
tiffyroman

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 28, 2016, 02:17:39 PM

Chill the heck out dude.

Think of the numerous possibilities that may have happened.
Let's have this as an example. Their host had an unexpected problem without being able to inform them. Does that mean they are at fault? No.

In my view, that's the most probable case that have happened and just an hour of downtime isn't really something to cause panic about. If they went down for say half a day, or maybe 5 hours even. That's about panic-worthy.
bitcoinisfurture

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 28, 2016, 03:15:36 PM

Seems to be a worrysome if it goes downside without any intimation. All the best sites gives an heads-up before the site is down for some maintenance purpose.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: