Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 05:22:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Obtaining bitcoin and cryptocurrency demographic data  (Read 1015 times)
TemplarKnightUK (OP)

Activity: 162
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 29, 2016, 09:18:41 AM

I've noticed a lot lately that many topics are originated on the Discussion board along the lines of "I would sell my bitcoin if..." or "I would do X or Y with my bitcoin". Many of them imitate one another, and generate the same, hackneyed, spammy responses, with no real value obtained.

I'm thinking would there be some way of marshalling those responses into some sensible and statistically valid data, i.e. with an online survey (obviously with a reCAPTCHA) with a prize pot (funded by donations from those seeking to obtain the information, though we'd publish it publicly).

I'm thinking such questions as:

• What is your total bitcoin holding?
  • Are they held free, or invested?
  • Do you use P2P lenders in BTC?
  • Do you gamble?
  • What country are you from/are they legal there?
  • Have you told your friends/what did they say/do they use BTC themselves?

Anyone else think this would be a valuable idea? I've a VPS and everything; just unwilling to do this altruistically if there's no interest Cheesy

EDIT: I've neglected to add that we'd survey basic demographic data, too, such as age, gender, university/college education status. Actually, I can do it for free and give you a link if you know where I can source an affordable .com TLD

Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
b457

Activity: 168

BURSTcoin - Burst-team.us

View Profile
June 29, 2016, 01:05:47 PM

Hey,
I would love to work with you together!
I have already gained experience in doing online surveys and therefore I could help.
If you are interested, write me a message. Thank you!  Smiley
Joel_Jantsen
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1308

Get your game girl

View Profile
June 29, 2016, 01:33:55 PM

This is not as complicating as you're making it.My only concern is ,what would do with that data ? Represent it statistically or just doing it out of interest ?

1.Get a cheap .com from GoDaddy or simply create a new google form.

2.Either promote it through online advertising or simply pay few satoshis here for people to fulfill it.

3.Take the location from the Public IP by default and restrict access of the same user through VPN and or same IP.
TemplarKnightUK (OP)

View Profile
June 30, 2016, 10:11:06 AM

Hey,
I would love to work with you together!
I have already gained experience in doing online surveys and therefore I could help.
If you are interested, write me a message. Thank you!  Smiley

Thank you very much for your interest! Yeah, drop me a PM if you can think of any questions of interest and we can discuss them. We also need to discuss incentives for the survey/how we represent data visually and in an exciting and engaging manner.

This is not as complicating as you're making it.My only concern is ,what would do with that data ? Represent it statistically or just doing it out of interest ?

1.Get a cheap .com from GoDaddy or simply create a new google form.

2.Either promote it through online advertising or simply pay few satoshis here for people to fulfill it.

3.Take the location from the Public IP by default and restrict access of the same user through VPN and or same IP.

Well, we represent it statistically with some nice graphs. It is partly out of interest, but partly for the public good. I think it'll help us all better understand the currency; who uses it and why, which should help us take things forward and expand BTC's cachet and have a broader appeal.

How many satoshis is enough? Can't relay an transaction on the open network for only a few satoshis. But having said that, how do faucets work?

I now have limesurvey on the VPS. I'll get a little thing thrown together in the next few days and let you comment on it Smiley

HeroCat

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 30, 2016, 01:16:38 PM

Bitcoin and other cryptocurrency demographic data do not have value, BTC market is not expanding very fast. As you can see - large Web companies, like Amazon, do not implement Bitcoin as payment yet.  Wink
TemplarKnightUK (OP)

View Profile
June 30, 2016, 03:29:33 PM

Bitcoin and other cryptocurrency demographic data do not have value, BTC market is not expanding very fast. As you can see - large Web companies, like Amazon, do not implement Bitcoin as payment yet.  Wink

Value to us at least, no? If we know who is using it and what they're using it for, we can work out who isn't and what it's not being used for. Then we can pitch it to them. As I mentioned, broaden BTC's appeal Smiley

Karartma1
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1422

View Profile
June 30, 2016, 06:25:16 PM

That's a bad idea. There's a sneaky business in those services, but I've always thought the anonimity methods are there for the privacy minded bitcoin users.
TemplarKnightUK (OP)

View Profile
June 30, 2016, 06:43:07 PM

That's a bad idea. There's a sneaky business in those services, but I've always thought the anonimity methods are there for the privacy minded bitcoin users.

What do you mean by a sneaky business? In VPNs, you mean? Or in survey websites? Obviously we would only acquire survey responses anonymously, and only ask for a withdraw address for a prize draw/few satoshis reward.

Karartma1
Legendary

View Profile
July 01, 2016, 06:26:18 AM

What do you mean by a sneaky business? In VPNs, you mean? Or in survey websites? Obviously we would only acquire survey responses anonymously, and only ask for a withdraw address for a prize draw/few satoshis reward.

I mean even though, as you say, it is some kind of anonymously collected data, I would not like to using it. Not even for a prize reward. I simply do not like the idea, but that's my view regarding it. Nothing major
TemplarKnightUK (OP)

View Profile
July 01, 2016, 05:53:28 PM

I mean even though, as you say, it is some kind of anonymously collected data, I would not like to using it. Not even for a prize reward. I simply do not like the idea, but that's my view regarding it. Nothing major

That's totally understandable; I suspect users do not want to be open and honest about their activities, even with onion routing, as I suspect a not insignificant portion of the currency's activity is on the grey or even black side of the law, but then I don't imagine they waste much time with Bitcointalk.org, either.

It's a game of aligning incentives, for people to use the survey, for people to donate so that we can incentivise people to actually fill out the survey, and to encourage honesty (even surveys in seemingly much simpler fields such as sexual preferences often flop due to bias).

Nevertheless, I've thrown a landing page together with a Limesurvey implementation at bitcoinstatistics.site, so if you'd like to take a look and give me some unreserved criticism, feel free Cheesy Also, once we get a few responses I'll make some nice graphs for the landing page. We can change the questions, add some delete some, change options etc, depending on what you think is the most valuable information.

I'm aware there's some value to be had in Blockchain.info's charts and stats, but they are of limited helpfulness as they only go on addresses, and individuals may have a greater or lesser extent of these. But with the parameters we have here, we can at least establish a distribution of Bitcoin net worth, say, and how this correlates with class/country/uses/etc. Could be really quite helpful knowledge.

However, libertarianism is such that one must encounter a high degree of suspicion and mistrust: only natural, it's what keeps the crypto world alive, after all, but we do want to broaden out the technology, amirite?

Karartma1
Legendary

View Profile
July 04, 2016, 06:34:28 AM

[...]

Yes, I do get your point and I understand it. My criticism is related solely to what you pointed out.
I'll give a look at your landing page when I can and see what it brings.

Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: