Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 11:51:42 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: bitfloor BTC prices  (Read 561 times)
Bullfrog6288 (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 04:55:12 PM

Hey All,

I know this is a real "newbie" question, but here goes . . .

When placing a BTC order on the bitfloor website, what would be a good price to offer so that the order goes through relatively quickly?

For example, is it safe to assume that if you offer to buy the coins at let's say .25 cents (USD) over the current "Last" price then the order will complete fairly quickly?

What about if you offer to pay just a few cents over the "Last" price, will that order execute fairly quickly too???

Sorry to come across as such a novice, but this whole Low, High, Last, Ask price thing has me confused?!?

Also, if anyone can offer some insight into the difference between Market & Limit orders that'd be great!

Obviously, I don't want to spend more for my BTC order than necessary.

Thanks in advance for any advice you might offer . . .

Bullfrog6288
stereotype
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 05:27:57 PM

A market order would try to buy the next available price. This is generally fine for liquid/highly traded markets, but not when theres volatility.

A limit order is a price stated by you/what you want to trade at, plus any slippage at a given time.

You sound like you just want to get in the market at a 'fair' price. In which case, you maybe should enter a price just below the current ask price.

This is a new market to me, and i have not traded yet (but i will), im just relaying what i know about other trading instruments....and my comments are most definitely not advice!!

Good luck
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 03:59:27 AM

relatively quickly?

That really is what determines what price you pay.

If you simply sit above the current highest bid, eventually someone will hit you because someone will sell at market rate eventually (and that's your bid).  What could happen is the exchange rate rises though and you have to stay above the highest bid and you could end up paying more than if you hit the lowest ask right off the bat.

So it all depends what you mean by "relatively quickly".  Since you don't when a sell order at market will come in that could be hours or more.  Or it could be ten minutes.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

stereotype
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 05:42:38 PM

BTW just saw a big 961Lot @ £31.31 Big numbers being played with here.   

http://bitcoin.clarkmoody.com/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: