Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:32:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fellow Canuck are you mining?  (Read 772 times)
CanadianChemist (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 29, 2016, 02:38:37 PM

Are you mining any altcoins my friends and where are you located? Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
evergrow

Activity: 426
Merit: 256

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2016, 02:44:26 PM

Are you mining any altcoins my friends and where are you located? Smiley

I'm located in Germany and I don't mine any coins. I have done it in the past (2-3 years back in time) Smiley
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
June 29, 2016, 07:21:27 PM

I do mine Monero. Canada is actually a very good place for mining crypto because in most parts of Canada the winters are very cold.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
June 29, 2016, 08:17:51 PM

I do mine Monero. Canada is actually a very good place for mining crypto because in most parts of Canada the winters are very cold.

Hoping your paying your taxes on that or JAIL time !

Canada Revenue Agency says tax rules apply to bitcoin

This applies to your earnings past 3 years too and not just Bitcoin itself.

See also, Exchanging Digital Currency in Canada | TurboTax Canada

Or use Google before playing games with ponzi coins for dollars (while chanting free MARKET)

PS:
Not for 2 years i think OP.

FUD first & ask questions later™
ArticMine
Legendary

Monero Core Team

View Profile
June 29, 2016, 08:42:19 PM

Or use Google before playing games with ponzi coins for dollars (while chanting free MARKET)

PS:

I report my income from all sources, including crypto currencies, and pay my taxes. Why do people have so much trouble with this? There is nothing new here. As for TurboTax I do not use that software since it requires Microsoft Windows. I use GNU/Linux instead. The Microsoft Windows operating system is a major cause of people loosing their crypto currencies due to malware hiding in the operating system's DRM. If I used Microsoft Windows I would be claiming tax losses due to stolen crypto currencies rather send the CRA substantial sums of money every three months.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
shyliar

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 29, 2016, 08:47:04 PM

PS:

Cashing in comes under capital gains which means 50 percent is tax free. The other 50 percent is taxed like normal income. If possible and you have enough RRSP contribution room you can put the other 50 percent in your plan and pay no tax for that year. It works well you can spend 50 percent of your profits now, invest the other 50 percent in a tax sheltered fund and eventually have a very comfortable retirement. And best part it's all legal.
ArticMine
Legendary

Monero Core Team

View Profile
June 29, 2016, 08:51:13 PM
Last edit: June 29, 2016, 09:01:48 PM by ArticMine

Cashing in comes under capital gains which means 50 percent is tax free. The other 50 percent is taxed like normal income. If possible and you have enough RRSP contribution room you can put the other 50 percent in your plan and pay no tax for that year. It works well you can spend 50 percent of your profits now, invest the other 50 percent in a tax sheltered fund and eventually have a very comfortable retirement. And best part it's all legal.

Mining is considered income and it is best to keep one's mining separate and treat it as a business.

Edit:

RRSPs can provide some tax shelter provided one has RRSP room left etc. The reality is that if one bought Bitcoin in 2011 - 2012 in the 2 USD to 10 USD range and then sold those same Bitcoins for hundreds of dollars each after Apple gave the iSheep permission to buy Bitcoin in 2014, one ends up paying substantial amounts of income tax.

As for the iSheep who bought Bitcoin after Apple gave them permission in 2014 they may have significant tax losses depending on when they sold. Personally I do not have a problem with paying income taxes. I would much rather make money and pay income tax than loose money and claim income tax refunds. People who invest with the objective of not paying income tax, end up more often than not loosing money.

shyliar

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 29, 2016, 08:57:17 PM

Mining is considered income and it is best to keep one's mining separate and treat it as a business.

I followed the rules as outlined to me in 2013. If you mined 7000 litecoins when they had a value of 0.07 CAD each that could be considered income. If you saved those coins and sold at 49.00 CAD that's capital gains. Any trading profits are capital gains.

Edit: If you pay taxes on anything that's a capital gain as if it's general income you end up paying twice the tax you should be paying.
SeriousInvestor

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 29, 2016, 09:03:41 PM

I SERIOUSLY mine a SERIOUS amount of SERIOUS BTC.
 SERIOUSLY!
ArticMine
Legendary

Monero Core Team

View Profile
June 29, 2016, 09:17:52 PM

I followed the rules as outlined to me in 2013. If you mined 7000 litecoins when they had a value of 0.07 CAD each that could be considered income. If you saved those coins and sold at 49.00 CAD that's capital gains. Any trading profits are capital gains.

Edit: If you pay taxes on anything that's a capital gain as if it's general income you end up paying twice the tax you should be paying.

Yes of course; however in some case for example very active professional traders, trading can be considered a business, and trading profits are then treated as income. This can also  be an issue also with stocks for example. Here is an explanation of what factors are considered in treating a gain as capital or income in Canada. http://www.taxtips.ca/personaltax/investing/taxtreatment/capitalorincome.htm

Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
June 30, 2016, 01:05:08 AM

PS:

I report my income from all sources, including crypto currencies, and pay my taxes. Why do people have so much trouble with this? There is nothing new here. As for TurboTax I do not use that software since it requires Microsoft Windows. I use GNU/Linux instead. The Microsoft Windows operating system is a major cause of people loosing their crypto currencies due to malware hiding in the operating system's DRM. If I used Microsoft Windows I would be claiming tax losses due to stolen crypto currencies rather send the CRA substantial sums of money every three months.

Your a perceptive little Monero shill eh ?
You did not grasp that i was posting that link and the others for informational purposes on Tax guidelines
..as i said ?

Funny your whacked out fucked in the head interpretation was i was trying to get you to install Turbo Tax on what i was assuming was your windows PC ?

LOL

Can i ask you, do you take any medications son ?
You seem to be mentally ill.

Seems you had a separate conversation than i did.
Let me know when your back we can clear up this mess and get you back on track.

..in the meantime.
We'll all just take your word for it LOL

FUD first & ask questions later™
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: