Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:58:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I need advice from a miner  (Read 1330 times)
battmann (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

I am a student of programming and design.

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 06:32:52 PM

I have about 5BTC right now to purchase a piece of mining hardware. I would like an fpga, so if you can could you advise me on what to buy and where?

Thank you Smiley
-battmann

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MXRider

Activity: 466
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 06:42:07 PM

I have about 5BTC right now to purchase a piece of mining hardware. I would like an fpga, so if you can could you advise me on what to buy and where?

Thank you Smiley
-battmann

Do not buy any FPGAs. Where did you even get that idea? ASICs are right around the corner. There are actually several ASICs mining already. My advice is to wait or look for a second hand ASIC when someone is selling them. The price will be very high though.

Typical FPGA with 4x spartan chips gives you about 800-900MH/s and consumes 40W. You might get it with 5BTC but don't count on it.

ASIC are 30x faster. Price and power consumption are the same. Only problem is that you won't get your ASIC in a few months if you order now.

notbrain

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 07:26:28 PM

Thank you Smiley
-battmann

Do not buy any FPGAs. Where did you even get that idea? ASICs are right around the corner. There are actually several ASICs mining already. My advice is to wait or look for a second hand ASIC when someone is selling them. The price will be very high though.

Typical FPGA with 4x spartan chips gives you about 800-900MH/s and consumes 40W. You might get it with 5BTC but don't count on it.

ASIC are 30x faster. Price and power consumption are the same. Only problem is that you won't get your ASIC in a few months if you order now.

Depends on your end goal - huge profits are not on the table if you are just getting started and want in on an ASIC. But you shouldn't listen to anyone telling you "don't buy an FPGA" or "don't buy a GPU" - if the value of BTC keeps going up in concert with the network hashrate/difficulty you will be fine on FPGAs for a few months. Especially if you have some solar or otherwise cheap power. Free power = free BTC no matter what. ASICs still aren't proven in the wild and there will be growing pains. Don't believe the hype. "Right around the corner" is still "not here yet" and they've been "right around the corner" for a long time. Get on the avalon mailing list when you have $1500 ready and you might be able to get in on the 3rd batch. Still a gamble.
Gator-hex

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 10:03:07 PM
Last edit: March 14, 2013, 10:37:09 PM by Gator-hex

All you can get for 5BTC is a few graphics cards.

Might as well wait a week or two and see if BFL come up with the ASIC goods if it's for mining

but if you're looking for something that can be reprogrammed try..

40w/800 MH/s $1000/£600+tax Cairnsmore1 says 4 in stock (UK but they do ship to the US/EU select currency at top)
http://www.enterpoint.co.uk/shop/en/108-cairnsmore1-.html

and also there's

40w/860 MH/s $1200/€959+tax Spartan 6 USB-FPGA Module 1.15y says 4 in stock (German but they ship outside the EU in $ too)
http://shop.ztex.de/product_info.php?products_id=74&osCsid=vcap1tdhb232ggu0cs1njerm66

You don't pay tax if it's taken outside the country of origin, but you might get import duty your end.

battmann (OP)

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 11:32:29 PM

Thank you Smiley
-battmann

Thank you Smiley
-battmann

Depends on your end goal - huge profits are not on the table if you are just getting started and want in on an ASIC. But you shouldn't listen to anyone telling you "don't buy an FPGA" or "don't buy a GPU" - if the value of BTC keeps going up in concert with the network hashrate/difficulty you will be fine on FPGAs for a few months. Especially if you have some solar or otherwise cheap power. Free power = free BTC no matter what. ASICs still aren't proven in the wild and there will be growing pains. Don't believe the hype. "Right around the corner" is still "not here yet" and they've been "right around the corner" for a long time. Get on the avalon mailing list when you have $1500 ready and you might be able to get in on the 3rd batch. Still a gamble.

I already ordered my ASIC from BFL, and I want something to play with in the mean time. Reprogramming isn't an issue; although a "plug-n-play" type would be fine too. I want something that had the most bang for my buck.

I still would like some suggestions! Smiley
shmadz
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

@theshmadz

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 12:32:00 AM

I'd totally recommend you get a 7970. I've got several of these and I love them all (even the red-headed stepchild that will no longer go past 1000 MHz Sad

not sure what they're going for these days. 5 btc probably won't get you a new one, but you might be able to find used for around that much (if not now, soon)

plus, once it becomes almost useless for bitcoin, you could switch to litecoin, or use it for video games, or sell it (it's a really good gaming card and should hold fairly good resale value)

-- just my suggestion

"You have no moral right to rule us, nor do you possess any methods of enforcement that we have reason to fear." - John Perry Barlow, 1996
notbrain

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 01:13:46 AM

Thank you Smiley
-battmann

Thank you Smiley
-battmann

I already ordered my ASIC from BFL, and I want something to play with in the mean time. Reprogramming isn't an issue; although a "plug-n-play" type would be fine too. I want something that had the most bang for my buck.

Keep checking bitmit.net - up until a few days ago there was a guy selling 10+ x6500 FPGA miners for 4.8btc each (~400mh/s @ 20W). Free USA shipping even. Seem to be sold out though, kind of kicking myself for not getting a couple or four.
mitty

Activity: 359
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 04:10:06 AM

Keep checking bitmit.net - up until a few days ago there was a guy selling 10+ x6500 FPGA miners for 4.8btc each (~400mh/s @ 20W). Free USA shipping even. Seem to be sold out though, kind of kicking myself for not getting a couple or four.
Different seller, but about the same price: https://www.bitmit.net/en/item/19659-x6500-bitcoin-miners-working-100-400mh-s-for-less-than-20w
battmann (OP)

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 05:41:12 AM

Different seller, but about the same price: https://www.bitmit.net/en/item/19659-x6500-bitcoin-miners-working-100-400mh-s-for-less-than-20w

No credit. From Germany. Weird/random picture. Probably a copy/paste job. Looks legit  Undecided

Is there an online store I could buy from? One that accepts bitcoin would be bomb.
Gator-hex

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 11:35:36 AM
Last edit: March 15, 2013, 11:48:25 AM by Gator-hex

"No credit. From Germany. Weird/random picture. Probably a copy/paste job. Looks legit"

Ask them to upload a photo with a piece of paper with their username written on it. Then at least you know it's in their possession.

They also say they will accept escrow which means they won't get paid until your say you received the goods.

battmann (OP)

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 05:32:15 PM

"No credit. From Germany. Weird/random picture. Probably a copy/paste job. Looks legit"

Ask them to upload a photo with a piece of paper with their username written on it. Then at least you know it's in their possession.

They also say they will accept escrow which means they won't get paid until your say you received the goods.

I know your just trying to help but:

Shipping fees. Too much work for obvious scam. I don't need my coins tied up in bitmit escrow of all things.

Thanks though, I do appreciate the help. I might email them, but eh usually something like that just isn't worth the time.
mokahless

Activity: 471
Merit: 256

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 03:52:36 AM

I'm looking for the same thing as you. If you find a seller for more than one, let me know.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: