Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 02:53:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do the Banks manipulate Bitcoin?  (Read 2235 times)
klee (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 08:17:16 PM
Last edit: March 14, 2013, 08:32:58 PM by klee

So the guy in this video claims it gonna fall around 15$ when banks start to short:

http://www.thebitcoinchannel.com/archives/661
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qBuJEwsmdik)

What is your opinion about this? And for comparing bitcoin with silver?

Are they the sharks and most of us the fish that gonna be eaten?  Cool

PS: I am a hoarder having faith who did not sell in the first bubble burst in 2011 nor in the last two corrections...
Odalv
Legendary

Activity: 1400

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 09:12:52 PM

So the guy in this video claims it gonna fall around 15$ when banks start to short:

http://www.thebitcoinchannel.com/archives/661
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qBuJEwsmdik)

What is your opinion about this? And for comparing bitcoin with silver?

PS: I am a hoarder having faith who did not sell in the first bubble burst in 2011 nor in the last two corrections...

Bank can go short when have Bitcoin, If you have no Bitcoin then you cannot selll Bitcoin under market price. First!,  you have to buy, then you can sell under market price ... will this make money for bank, let's try bank and shorting are welcome. :-) (this will only stabilize price)
Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2013, 09:19:29 PM

First!,  you have to buy
Or, borrow.

Of course, that means...
If they're the sharks, the true believers lending them BTC to short with (and extracting heavy interest in exchange) are shark-farmers. Smiley

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
justusranvier
Legendary

Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 09:20:55 PM

Bank can go short when have Bitcoin, If you have no Bitcoin then you cannot selll Bitcoin under market price.
Not quite true. For example, all Mt Gox trades take place within their internal database. It is theoretically possible for them to allow a customer to sell bitcoins they don't actually have. The scam could be covered up for a long time unless their customers regularly withdraw their entire Bitcoin balance. If everybody demanded their Bitcoins at the same time it would quickly become apparent if they had sold more bitcoins than they actually had, and the scheme would unravel very quickly.

Note that if you have a large BTC balance at Mt Gox you aren't allowed to withdraw it all at once, which is a very good reason to keep your bitcoins in your own wallet instead of theirs.
klee (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 09:33:07 PM

If a bank wants to buy/sell/short (or whatever) bitcoins, how is it gonna justify these transactions to the regulators?
I am sure they can find many ways to cover their traces and appear legit but still find it hard to believe they can perform big volume illegitimate transactions (which can 'crush' bitcoin economy) without being noticed. Or it is just that the btc market cap is a joke for Goldman Sachs or JP Morgan...

I hope my writings make sense because English is my second language!
Odalv
Legendary

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 09:35:12 PM

First!,  you have to buy
Or, borrow.

Of course, that means...
If they're the sharks, the true believers lending them BTC to short with (and extracting heavy interest in exchange) are shark-farmers. Smiley
+1 we will see what you do. :-)
Odalv
Legendary

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 09:40:47 PM

Quote from: Qoheletlink=topic=153150.msg1625519#msg1625519 date=1363295969
First!,  you have to buy
Or, borrow.

Of course, that means...
+1 we will see what you do. :-)
[/quote

see = hear, fell and see (just free market)
afbitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1061

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2013, 11:14:26 AM

I don't trust my bitcoins with any third party, learned my lesson with bitcoinica.

silverfuture
Legendary

Activity: 947
Merit: 1008

central banking = outdated protocol

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 11:38:15 AM

Bitcoin is going to pwn the banks. It will be funny.

edit- OP... I am in a similar savings (hoarding is for liberals!) situation as you in holding pre-bubble '11 coins.  I invested only what I can afford to lose but bitcoin fucking rocks and it is money worth saving. Thank you every one who participates...you are changing the world for the better.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NastyFans - The Fan Club for Bitcoin Enthusiasts | MININGCOINS | POOL | ESCROW
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HBBZ

Activity: 570
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 12:29:07 PM

I don't trust my bitcoins with any third party, learned my lesson with bitcoinica.

MMM,i'm taking my coins at mtgox back to my local wallet now. Thanks for the risk alert. Shocked
Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 12:36:34 PM

the banks manipulation of bitcoin makes the manipulation of gold and silver look like NOTHING

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
granolageek

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 01:18:19 PM

the banks manipulation of bitcoin makes the manipulation of gold and silver look like NOTHING

Alternatively, one can move Bitcoin by dollars with 1/10 the money fiat it takes to move gold or silver by cents.
oakpacific

Activity: 784

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 01:49:19 PM

Maybe after the price crash several times, yet fully recovers each time, there will be slightly more people willing to admit that people are buying bitcoins because they are useful, not that they want to profit from a pyramid scheme? Roll Eyes

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
zebedee
Donator

Activity: 668
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 01:56:34 PM

If a bank wants to buy/sell/short (or whatever) bitcoins, how is it gonna justify these transactions to the regulators?
Beyond miners, bitcoin doesn't have regulators.

What do they need to justify and why?

Cool isn't it?
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 02:01:35 PM

Bank can go short when have Bitcoin, If you have no Bitcoin then you cannot selll Bitcoin under market price.
Not quite true. For example, all Mt Gox trades take place within their internal database. It is theoretically possible for them to allow a customer to sell bitcoins they don't actually have. The scam could be covered up for a long time unless their customers regularly withdraw their entire Bitcoin balance.

If everybody demanded their Bitcoins at the same time it would quickly become apparent if they had sold more bitcoins than they actually had, and the scheme would unravel very quickly.

I doubt it. Then they would suddenly ask everyone to send them all of the documents that are always necessary when the system flags an account as potentially criminal or if someone wants a higher withdraw limit. During the time they could claim to be 'processing' the documents they could buy back enough bitcoins for people to withdraw. They would pay less because after driving the price down they would be able to buy them cheaper.

Signature space available for rent.
justusranvier
Legendary

Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 02:05:51 PM

I doubt it. Then they would suddenly ask everyone to send them all of the documents that are always necessary when the system flags an account as potentially criminal or if someone wants a higher withdraw limit. During the time they could claim to be 'processing' the documents they could buy back enough bitcoins for people to withdraw. They would pay less because after driving the price down they would be able to buy them cheaper.
An excellent reason not to keep bitcoins parked at an exchange.
klee (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 02:09:29 PM

Cool isn't it?
Damn English!  Tongue

I mean banks trying to hide 'money laundering' actions from the government and the like (tax offices). I know this is ridiculous to say though (banks being actually the government)!
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 02:32:32 PM

if/WHEN banks get involved, they will eat most of us alive. Banks are not going to act irrationally the way many peers do. They don't care about politics and are not going to fall for FUD. They do the math and that is why they are going to beat the pants off a typical bitcoiner.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
afbitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1061

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2013, 05:04:14 PM

MMM,i'm taking my coins at mtgox back to my local wallet now. Thanks for the risk alert. Shocked

I think you've made the right choice, its not quite as convineint if you want to sell them as you'd have to deposit them back with the exchange but the tradeoff in peace of mind is worth it.

As long as you trust yourself you look after them Cheesy
losangeles

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 09:57:22 PM

Cool isn't it?
Damn English!  Tongue

I mean banks trying to hide 'money laundering' actions from the government and the like (tax offices). I know this is ridiculous to say though (banks being actually the government)!

For the record, your English is flawless.  And yeah I was just thinking today about the anti-money laundering regulations that some exchanges have, just like banks.  Similarly, I wonder if people making a profit from investing in bitcoin are liable for capital gains tax, and if so, how many people would actually report it. 

Kind of off-topic to the issue of banks, but it's another legal concern for the bitcoin economy.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: