Bitcoin Forum
June 29, 2024, 11:48:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANNOUNCEMENT] super easy bitcoin ads: PuppyTwist.com  (Read 4758 times)
SBC

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2013, 03:34:13 PM

When attempting to upload an image creative, it displays a Word Press login dialog, but there does not appear to be any registration/signup option on your site... ?
anzy (OP)

Activity: 263
Merit: 250

I like helping people

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 03:40:37 PM

Ah, you're absolutely right. For the time being we've disabled the uploader. You can go ahead and paste the url to the image directly instead of uploading it to our servers until we fix it : )

I like building things
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 03:50:07 PM

You should allow for "accounts" in your site where one could change options and addresses.

I'd like to give it a shot but I'm afraid I cannot change it later so I have to create a throwaway BTC address, and finally I just pass.

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
anzy (OP)

I like helping people

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 03:55:24 PM

You should allow for "accounts" in your site where one could change options and addresses.

While I completely get where you're coming from in terms of functionality, the core basis for puppytwist is to keep it as simple and quick to get going as possible.

On the flip side, I'm trying to understand a scenario that you'd want to change an address, and where. As a publisher you can change your address to whatever you want - just get new ad code to replace the old.

As an advertiser, you never specify an address as there is no need to ever ask for one : )

If you wouldn't mind clarifying a bit?

I like building things
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 04:08:06 PM

While I completely get where you're coming from in terms of functionality, the core basis for puppytwist is to keep it as simple and quick to get going as possible.

On the flip side, I'm trying to understand a scenario that you'd want to change an address, and where. As a publisher you can change your address to whatever you want - just get new ad code to replace the old.

As an advertiser, you never specify an address as there is no need to ever ask for one : )

If you wouldn't mind clarifying a bit?

The problem is that your ad can remain somewhere outside of your control with settings you want changed and linked to an address that can be traced to you. For instance if you put it in a post you can edit, or it gets cached.

forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
anzy (OP)

I like helping people

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 04:10:28 PM

The problem is that your ad can remain somewhere outside of your control with settings you want changed and linked to an address that can be traced to you. For instance if you put it in a post you can edit, or it gets cached.

Which settings would you like to have be changeable? I'm open to ideas : )

I like building things
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 05:41:20 PM

Which settings would you like to have be changeable? I'm open to ideas : )

Well, address and content nature... I think that's basically every setting innit?

anzy (OP)

I like helping people

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 07:51:11 PM

Gotchya. So other than providing categories for publishers to specify and advertisers to target, the publisher's address is the most important thing you'd want to be able to customize?

While I can definitely see how that would be useful, I still think keeping it as-simple-as-possible without registrations or passwords of any sort is the best route. The addresses are stored internally and are only indicated via their internal ID number to the ad embed code, so there's no way for anyone to see which address you're using.

Because of this anonymity, I think it's best if publishers used addresses that they plan on receiving their earnings to without having the ability to change them. There shouldn't be a need to create throwaway addresses because of this.

On the other hand with the categories - I'll try and find a way to work it into the UI so it doesn't increase the to-do's for publishers and advertisers to get started if they don't care about categories (I imagine most people won't care too much or won't be very accurate in choosing them).

I VERY much appreciate your input though, it helps me a great deal in developing tools for the audience, by the audience.

I like building things
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 09:52:44 PM

Gotchya. So other than providing categories for publishers to specify and advertisers to target, the publisher's address is the most important thing you'd want to be able to customize?

While I can definitely see how that would be useful, I still think keeping it as-simple-as-possible without registrations or passwords of any sort is the best route. The addresses are stored internally and are only indicated via their internal ID number to the ad embed code, so there's no way for anyone to see which address you're using.

Because of this anonymity, I think it's best if publishers used addresses that they plan on receiving their earnings to without having the ability to change them. There shouldn't be a need to create throwaway addresses because of this.

On the other hand with the categories - I'll try and find a way to work it into the UI so it doesn't increase the to-do's for publishers and advertisers to get started if they don't care about categories (I imagine most people won't care too much or won't be very accurate in choosing them).

I VERY much appreciate your input though, it helps me a great deal in developing tools for the audience, by the audience.

I don't think it's hard to offer both options. A lot like imgur, you can use it logged off (or even without an account), but if you log in then you can keep track of your stuff. Leave the session cookie so you can even register post-fact.

I've done this stuff myself and it wasn't too hard, in PHP, python, and perl, and RoR you have these session libraries that do most of the work for you.

anzy (OP)

I like helping people

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 06:10:50 AM

Another round of spammers banned and clicks/commissions auto-adjusted. Will be implementing some more convenient fraud detection tools here soon, but I'm manually ensuring high click quality personally for now.

Enjoy!

I like building things
SBC

Activity: 50

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2013, 04:42:02 PM
Last edit: March 24, 2013, 05:24:07 PM by SBC

Quick question; where are the banner ad sizes? Looking on your competitor (bitcoinadvertising - which seems to be suffering some serious outages at the moment) - they specify the banner sizes for their images. I'm assuming arbitrary sized images linked to an advert are going to suffer in appearance if you 'squish' them into a predetermined x/y rectangle?

EDIT: add->ad* Tongue
anzy (OP)

I like helping people

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 09:15:29 PM

Quick question; where are the banner ad sizes? Looking on your competitor (bitcoinadvertising - which seems to be suffering some serious outages at the moment) - they specify the banner sizes for their images. I'm assuming arbitrary sized images linked to an advert are going to suffer in appearance if you 'squish' them into a predetermined x/y rectangle?

EDIT: add->ad* Tongue

Good question! For now we accept 468x60 graphical banner ads; since that is the most common we wanted to at least start out with those. Allowing publishers and advertisers to specify different sizes is on the list of improvements to make but we purposely left this part out to maintain the simplicity of it all during launchtime.

If you try and upload an image of a different size, it'll get shrinked to 468x60 - not cropped, but stretched : )

I like building things
anzy (OP)

I like helping people

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 01:40:17 PM

Alrighty, some excellent automated anti-fraud logic has been implemented and so far for the past few days, it's worked flawlessly. Rest assured, any advertising through puppytwist will be legitimate (as opposed to some of those other services : P).

I like building things
anzy (OP)

I like helping people

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 04:49:23 AM

On the stats page, we made it now show the unique impressions for both today and all time for each ad.

We re-worked some of the logic concerning impressions to be significantly faster and not need to  store 100's of thousands of impressions in the database : P

As a side-effect, it gives this "so far today" impression stat which can be handy for watching your ad work it's magic. We'll have some nice graphs & charges based on this new data as well as a "clicks" version of this in the near future.

Enjoy!

I like building things
anzy (OP)

I like helping people

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 03:03:26 AM

Further optimized the ad-serving logic to be even faster than before : )

I like building things
anzy (OP)

I like helping people

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 02:24:27 PM

bump

I like building things
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 10:45:42 PM

I'm going to give this a second shot this weekend Smiley

anzy (OP)

I like helping people

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 12:07:40 AM

I'm going to give this a second shot this weekend Smiley

I look forward to hearing your review of it! : )

I like building things
nocube

Activity: 28

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 01:02:46 PM

Hi. I've sent you 0.04 BTC 16 hours ago. Any idea when my ad will be displayed? Thanks.

-nocube (BitcoinMeister.com)
anzy (OP)

I like helping people

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 01:23:37 PM

Hi. I've sent you 0.04 BTC 16 hours ago. Any idea when my ad will be displayed? Thanks.

-nocube (BitcoinMeister.com)

Fixed! For whatever reason the API lagged in receiving your payment notification. Your ad is now live; thanks for your patience.

I like building things
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: