Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 02:23:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Grandma Says HI - let me know when I'm not a newbie  (Read 629 times)
Grandma (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2013, 10:53:28 PM

A little about me:

1. Sailor, Surfer, Woodcarver, Classical Pianist, Brass, Flute, Harmonica and Accordion Player

2. Sold my first film at age 13, played a stage for two weeks in Las Vegas at 16.

3. Bought my first home at age 19, have always lived within 1 mile of the ocean, have always bought houses with a pool and spa (or installed them - its my religion) - and can barely tolerate a week - not a day more - in an inland location.

3. Have worked with Disney, Penny Marshall, Madonna and lived and traveled with John Trovolta and Kelly for 6 months.

4. Have therefore stayed at plenty of Ritz Carlton and other Fine Hotels, developed systems for the Ritz/Marriott Corp., and was once told by a 20 year Ritz "Veteran" that I have "Ritz Carlton in my blood" because of the way I treat everyone - first class hospitality - always. Yet I still prefer cheap hotels, creaky, leaky sailboats and even cheaper taco stands, Chinese restaurants and "fast food" cooked by a good "fat woman" who laughs a lot and probably has a lot of neighborhood kids in her lap every day after school: they are usually the finest, smartest, best, first class happiest hosts of all.

5. I eat most of my fish raw with a special mix of kelp, nori seaweed, onion, garlic, cilantro, jalapeno peppers and sometimes a bit of dijon mustard or vinegar, and while I do cheat now and then with some fried chicken and fries or a steak, I rarely enjoy it as much as ripping into a fresh, raw, red bit of Hawaiian Ahi spread on crisp tortilla chips, and chasing it with something good to drink.

"You don't need to spend $100 to get $100 worth of sushi; you just need to pick $10 worth of the right fish and $2 worth of the right seasonings.

6. Was raised by Navy Seals (uncles) in a miltary contractor home where 20 - 40 top brass would bring their wives and negotiate radar and aircraft contracts over Jim Beam, poker and bridge until 4am. The Seals used to boobie trap my bushes with blasting caps to catch me sneaking out at night; that stopped when I learned to disassemble them and rig them to their car doors - great fun. I began prepping and serving 3am "early morning" breakfasts and pots of spaghetti at age 3, handling the entire kitchen duty for 40 guests by age 8, and today can single handedly pour the cocktails, prep and serve the chow, and play the classical, jazz or rock piano in between for parties up to 500 without breaking a sweat.

7. Some coffee stains furniture. Mine is known as "PAINT" and its a passion of mine to make a cup that you can cut it 50/50 with cream and its still stronger than anything you've ever had before.

8. My loving sister's job is to travel the world, deliver millions of dollars to universities (primarily Latin America), and return home with the finest wines from all over the planet. As a result I get a little spoiled when I visit her, but frankly prefer just a kiss - a splash - of wine on a good fruity tea. I don't drink like I used to and probably average a six pack of beer a year. Drinking a half gallon of coffee a day nearly every day is probably enough abuse.

9. I spent 20 years serving the legal industry as I began a 30 year career writing financial software for Fortune 500 companies, traveled the world, raced huge sailboats (and little lasers and cats), and retired dead broke after a roller coaster ride of rich to poor and back again - several times.

I've found its not the money in the wallet or the Porsche in the driveway that count, though they are always nice to have, rather its the friends you have (especially those that can cook and care for others), and the ability to "Get Wet" every day, crack jokes that are at least "half-funny half-the-time", and listen to good music or enjoy fine art - or make some of both - that all makes life worthwhile.

You are only POOR if you can't CREATE (and don't TRY) or don't SHARE what you CREATE with OTHERS.

It doesn't matter what you have in terms of money or real estate, gold, diamonds or jewelry. If you lack those artistic, humanistic, angelic qualities, you're still a second rate human being and the second you begin to develop those qualities, you ascend to the rank of "Angel in Heaven" in an instant.

10. Spent 30 years teaching hard-core kids in East L.A., Hunters Point San Francisco and East Palo Alto PC skills in free labs where the kids get to take home a computer free - that they built and configured from parts on the bench in under 20 minutes. I love seeing a little 8, 10, 12 or 14 year old learn a skill that few techs can do. I dare any tech here to completely disassemble a PC - motherboard, power supply, drives - everything on a table - and then stuff it in a box, run BIOS and FDISK to get the HD ready, then FORMAT it it - any OS - doesn't matter - and stop the clock in under 20 minutes...its a tough hat trick, but over 1,000 kids can do it today (some of them over 30 years old by now), because we served a lot of PIZZA and PCs in all my classes...always 100% free.

A lot of parents would shove their kids in our free classes, thinking it was a perfect "day care" center...so we had a little rule for parents whoo would show up late instead of at 5pm. The poster on the front door always said "WARNING TO PARENTS: Children left here after 5pm will be given a triple espresso and a free puppy." They didn't believe me - HA! - I absolutely LOVE delivering on promises you'd never expect to be fulfilled. It creates "MAGIC MOMENTS" - something I learned at the Ritz.

11. Several hot-shot New York Bankers asked me to develop an international currency and private banking system. I told them about Bitcoin and they laughed, yet it is exactly what they needed and asked for. I understand she's worth around $20 bucks at this point and believe that by promoting this through multiple web sites, electronic and brick and mortar businessess, not only will that value appreciate, but whether Bitcoin remains the defacto "alternative currency" or others emerge inspired by this fine example; at the end of the day, as we all like to say, its got to beat Central Bank Fiat Currencies in every little, itty, bitty way.

My two cents - er - "bitcoins" on that topic.

Have fun. Get wet often. Pat a good chef on the bottom every now and then and never serve weak coffee to guests: I could be one of them and you won't want me to embarrass you in front of the family in the kitchen after that little mistake.

The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
KWH
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1045

In Collateral I Trust.

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 10:57:44 PM

Grandma Says HI - let me know when I'm not a newbie

If you read the rules you will know when. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=15958.0

When the subject of buying BTC with Paypal comes up, I often remember this: 

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Einstein
Grandma (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2013, 11:03:25 PM

No rush - no hurry - no worries - you'll decide - not me...

I like it that way.
Bitcoin BEAR

Activity: 143
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 04:41:21 AM

They say when everyone and their Grandmother invests in something, it's in a bubble.
This settles it! Bitcoin is in a bubble  Tongue
dayasinfo

Activity: 294

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 04:48:23 AM

you are a newbie like me
 haha
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 04:55:55 AM

Grandma, you're not a newbie anymore. Just wait 10 minutes for your permissions to be granted.

If you ever want to meet a Portuguese accordionist and maybe share some thoughts, I'll introduce you to one. Do you have any samples of your work you wish to send me in a personal message? I would love to hear some of your music, really!

Welcome to Bitcointalk.org, just don't go straight to the Lending section, or the permissions might get revoked Wink
dayasinfo

Activity: 294

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 05:00:53 AM

you guys lend coins?? why not earn them the right way!
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 05:14:31 AM

A little about me:

6. Was raised by Navy Seals (uncles) in a miltary contractor home where 20 - 40 top brass would bring their wives and negotiate radar and aircraft contracts over Jim Beam, poker and bridge until 4am. The Seals used to boobie trap my bushes with blasting caps to catch me sneaking out at night; that stopped when I learned to disassemble them and rig them to their car doors - great fun. I began prepping and serving 3am "early morning" breakfasts and pots of spaghetti at age 3, handling the entire kitchen duty for 40 guests by age 8, and today can single handedly pour the cocktails, prep and serve the chow, and play the classical, jazz or rock piano in between for parties up to 500 without breaking a sweat.

I'm going to have to call BS on that last one, Grandma.

9. I spent 20 years serving the legal industry as I began a 30 year career writing financial software for Fortune 500 companies, traveled the world, raced huge sailboats (and little lasers and cats), and retired dead broke after a roller coaster ride of rich to poor and back again - several times.

10. Spent 30 years teaching hard-core kids in East L.A., Hunters Point San Francisco and East Palo

So your working career is at least 60 years?  That would make you at least 76, so again, I'm calling BS.

Alto PC skills in free labs where the kids get to take home a computer free - that they built and configured from parts on the bench in under 20 minutes. I love seeing a little 8, 10, 12 or 14 year old learn a skill that few techs can do. I dare any tech here to completely disassemble a PC - motherboard, power supply, drives - everything on a table - and then stuff it in a box, run BIOS and FDISK to get the HD ready, then FORMAT it it - any OS - doesn't matter - and stop the clock in under 20 minutes...its a tough hat trick, but over 1,000 kids can do it today (some of them over 30 years old by now), because we served a lot of PIZZA and PCs in all my classes...always 100% free.

I have a great-grand aunt who was one of the few female professionally trained programmers in the United States prior to her retirement around 1978.  She never used this kind of language, in part, because fdisk didn't come out until 1983.  Again, I'm calling BS.  Either you're not old enough to be a grandma, or you've never had time to have children.

Sorry, but I've got to call a spade as spade.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 05:17:09 AM

MoonShadow, you're spoiling the fun... Roll Eyes
Or should i say: bringing even more fun to the thread? Tongue
KWH
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1045

In Collateral I Trust.

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 05:19:28 AM

MoonShadow, you're spoiling the fun... Roll Eyes

Another wet dream all dried up and blown away by the wind.  Grin

When the subject of buying BTC with Paypal comes up, I often remember this: 

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Einstein
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 05:28:03 AM

I began prepping and serving 3am "early morning" breakfasts and pots of spaghetti at age 3

That's where I stopped reading.
Protip: If you want to sound convincing you can't be too unbelievable.

Haha, psy, you fall for it  Cheesy

Signature space available for rent.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 05:31:20 AM

Haha, psy, you fall for it  Cheesy

Did I?
Sometimes you just need to do certain things... Wink
Besides, I'm still waiting for her PM. I have the best Portuguese accordionist willing to collaborate with the Grandma.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: