Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:53:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: This forum is infested with scammers  (Read 3875 times)
Tomatocage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222

brb keeping up with the Kardashians

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 12:08:47 AM

Please raise the bar for posting in Lending/Goods/Currency Exchange.

Maybe even prohibit exchange deals in Newbies.

Recommended Exchanges: Binance.com | CelsiusNetwork
GPG ID: 4880D85C | 1% Escrow | 8% IPO/ICO Escrow services Temporarily Closed | Bitcointalk is the ONLY place where I use this name (No Skype/IRC/YIM/AIM/etc) | 13CsmTqGNwvFXb7tD9yFvJcEYCDTB8wQTS | Beware of these SCAM sites! | *Sponsored Link

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 12:12:59 AM

Especially Lending. Apparently the newest wave of scammers have graduated and now looking for potential sheeple.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 12:20:21 AM

Add an interstitial warning page for those sections of the forum and require the user to type, "I understand that someone will attempt to attempt to scam me here." in a confirmation text box before proceeding.
BitcoinINV

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 12:23:31 AM

Add an interstitial warning page for those sections of the forum and require the user to type, "I understand that someone will attempt to attempt to scam me here." in a confirmation text box before proceeding.

I like that, there should be a TOS pop up when you register that says. Yadda yadda I must treat every transaction a possible scam.
It should have to be read and and agreed to once every 30 days.

repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 01:53:12 AM

Why not both?  Why not a prohibition on exchange deals in Newbies and tougher criteria for starting threads in Lending/Goods/Currency Exchange?

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
21after2

Activity: 112
Merit: 16

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 04:15:03 AM

I posted a topic about that here over a month ago, but never got any kind of official response.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=142243.0
imanikin

Activity: 702
Merit: 503

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 04:59:24 AM

+1 This world is infested with scammers!  Cheesy We've seen some great ones come and go here, and will see even more for sure...

Definitely, the Newbie section moderators should step on the blatant scams and rip-offs in there, as soon as they come up.

However, i think the experienced members are also ignoring clear attempts to scam or at least mislead and rip-off the inexperienced and the naive.

One might say that it's Natural Selection at work, but that's what gives this forum and bitcoin its negative reputation as Scam Central.

Most of us know a scam when we see it, but very few of us try to step on it, or even point it out in the scam threads. We can't expect the moderators to pull all the load on this issue...

🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 05:17:02 AM

Especially Lending. Apparently the newest wave of scammers have graduated and now looking for potential sheeple.
I'd guess that they're just 1 or two people, too.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 05:22:24 AM

I'd guess that they're just 1 or two people, too.

Yes, I think that's so too. They create accounts with variable amounts of scammishness, and try to divert potential investors to 1-2 of their accounts.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2013, 07:22:46 AM
Last edit: March 15, 2013, 02:51:29 PM by Lethn

Who ever reads or obeys terms and conditions? I certainly don't, they're just there either as a veiled threat most of the time or to absolve the people who wrote it of any responsibility. We can't police the internet and protect people from their own stupidity, use the ignore list, if you're thick enough to actually buy into one of these obvious scams then I'm just going to laugh at you I'm afraid.

I honestly wish people would stop coming along trying to change the Bitcoin communities and Bitcoin itself so it suits their visions, if you don't like how things are done here, make your own alternate currency and site.
jargoman

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 09:57:44 AM

How about a list of trusted people vs scammesr. List of scammers is useless because they can make another account.

Be awesome and use my pyramining referral
http://www.pyramining.com/referral/yb9g3zq7x
Beepbop

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 10:14:57 AM

How about a list of trusted people vs scammesr. List of scammers is useless because they can make another account.
A master list would also be exploitable. How about integrating web of trust (like bitcoin-otc) into Bitcointalk?
repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 10:34:12 AM

A master list would also be exploitable. How about integrating web of trust (like bitcoin-otc) into Bitcointalk?

Look how many previously trusted community members now wear the scammer tag.  People need to stop being so open-minded that their brains fall out.  This community vouching for the trustworthiness of its members hasn't worked too well so far and there's no reason to believe it would in the future.  It's a role/responsibility it should emphatically reject.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Beepbop

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 10:51:07 AM

It would be up to each user to establish who they trust the judgment of, was my point. If you made a "voting" system or central location, all it would do is encourage scammers to game that system.
Of course, there's no perfect defense against confidence scammers, but I like a web of trust approach better than an easily gamed central "scammer list". Hopefully it would take enough work to build trust, through many transactions, that even if the guy runs off with people's money or gets hit by a bus tomorrow and never logs on again, he would have provided more net value to the economy than he takes out.
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 01:33:05 PM

Can we get rid of kijimo's confidence loans while we're at it? He and his poker friends are spamming the lending forum with their crapshoots. They're not even dealing in BTC.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2013, 02:48:48 PM
Last edit: March 15, 2013, 03:14:12 PM by BadBear

I posted this elsewhere, I had this thread in mind when I typed it up so thought I'd crosspost it here, it's mostly relevant and I don't want to respond here with a separate post saying pretty much the same thing.

(In response to several angry pms, I decided afterwards to build on it a bit, remove the quotes for readability/privacy, and post it publicly)
I don't do scammer tags dude, that's admins, not mods. I can request one, but I still have to meet the same burden of evidence as everyone else does, including you. I can't do anything you can't easily do yourself. Theymos has full and complete discretion regarding scammer tags, this is his forum. He also has a lot of duties and little time on his hands. We've tried outsourcing it, there's even a thread about it, but nobody really wants to do it in the end, especially for free. How much do you value your time? How long did it take you to decide to send that guy 500 dollars? How long do you expect someone else to spend deciding whether this guy should receive a scammer tag or not? How much do you think that guys time is worth?

What kind of deterrent would you suggest? What do you think will stop predators like this? They surround any forum related to money, it isn't just this forum, it's just more rampant because of no chargebacks, no authority to turn to, and the lack of personal responsibility so many have when it comes to their money because they are so used to depending on others (credit card companies or the bank for example). So they run to the forum in order to post a thread, get angry and try to pin all their problem on the forums and the big evil people who just won't give that totally anonymous guy the scammer tag he so richly deserves so he can be appropriately punished  Roll Eyes.  

What I said was it's pretty much a waste of time to give him a tag. I don't think it's a complete waste of time to give him a scammer tag, and no that isn't "policy". If he did scam you he probably needs a scammer tag to save the next sucker, but he can easily make another account (IP's are easily faked or hidden) and those same dupes you linked me earlier that are in the process of perhaps getting scammed are just gonna get scammed anyway. They are sending money to a fresh account with 13 posts. It being a month old means nothing, the guy has probably scamming here for longer than a month if you just stop and think about the situation objectively. Any forum revolving around money is going to have scammers in the wings, and this one is no exception, probably even more so due to how easy bitcoin is to "play" with and the fact that the people who tend to get scammed via paypal/moneypak are young people wanting to buy drugs from wherever.

People who get scammed so easily are hurting this forum by bringing more and more scammers, and I hate seeing naive people like you (I really do hate it, that's why I ignore this subforum mostly, my time is better spent elsewhere)  lose their money to predators who scam, get tags, and just abandon the account and start again. I wouldn't be surprised if that guy has 50 accounts running through proxies, just scamming people left and right, just queueing up new accounts to replace the ones that get a tag. Banning won't help either.

I may be harsh, I may be a dick, but I won't apologize for it and I won't delete my posts. I love bitcoin and this forum (many hours of entertainment to be had here) and I hate seeing what it's turned into with how gullible people are and how easy it is to get scammed, and how rampant scamming is with a currency of this sort that has no failsafes.

It's actually been quite illuminating, I don't even know if people are ready for something like bitcoin. I've never been of the opinion that it will take over world trade and cause the end of the banks or whatever, it's just not very convenient for the kind of transactions I do daily. Maybe it will be in the future, maybe someone will build on it and use bitcoin and the blockchain as a backbone to do something really awesome. It's still useful, but it doesn't need to do everything to be useful and valuable.

Edit: Actually you know what, in the end I agree with you, we should just remove the scammer tag system. People depend on it too much and use it as justification to be dumb assholes and send money to anonymous people on the internet (who couldn't possibly be lying), then blame the forum for their dumb asshole mistakes so they don't have to admit they're a dumb asshole.  

Edit part deux:
Here is a thread I made 11 days ago, about this same user trying to scam me. Look at the responses I was given and tell me why he has no scammer tag...

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=149077.msg1582429#msg1582429
I even hyperlinked it for you BadBear

Here, I'll one up you and quote the most important post in that thread. This whole post can be directed at you as well.

Here's a concise guide to moneypak scammers: Anyone who sells btc for moneypak turns out as a scammer.

TLDR
People need to take more personal responsibility and stop depending on others to do things for them, and relying on scammer tags to keep you and your money safe is, in the end, just dumb. But if you send me a pm, I'll take time out of my weekend of liquor, card games, and women to try and get this guy the scammer tag he so richly deserves and ruin his reputation forever and ever, then everything will be ok and he will never ever come back.

I may be slightly jaded  Wink.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
Tomatocage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222

brb keeping up with the Kardashians

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 04:36:04 PM

Lending should be renamed to "Give me 1 BTC and I'll send you back 1.05 BTC! kekek ^_^"

Recommended Exchanges: Binance.com | CelsiusNetwork
GPG ID: 4880D85C | 1% Escrow | 8% IPO/ICO Escrow services Temporarily Closed | Bitcointalk is the ONLY place where I use this name (No Skype/IRC/YIM/AIM/etc) | 13CsmTqGNwvFXb7tD9yFvJcEYCDTB8wQTS | Beware of these SCAM sites! | *Sponsored Link
imanikin

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 04:45:56 PM

if you're thick enough to actually buy into one of these obvious scams then I'm just going to laugh at you I'm afraid.
Cool. May what goes around come around to all of us! If you ever do something stupid, (which of course you never would because you are so smart and will never get old or sick) i hope the people around you just laugh at you.  Cheesy

imanikin

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 05:08:55 PM

What kind of deterrent would you suggest? What do you think will stop predators like this?
I may be slightly jaded  Wink.
I think most of the time people can stop it simply by putting their opinion into the scam threads as they come across them.

We all have verbose opinions and love to type.  Cheesy

If most people took a few seconds to identify the scam thread as they incidentally come across them by posting so in them, those threads would quickly fill with scam warnings.

Then we will have done all we can to protect our own reputations, because the scammers naturally try to mascarade as us, the non-scammers, and affect the reputation of this whole forum.

BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 05:12:10 PM

Buyer Beware

Otherwise Bitcointalk turns into the US Social System
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All