Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 04:06:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Speed up syncing on newer blocks with maxconnections (v0.8)  (Read 1102 times)
pera (OP)

Activity: 532
Merit: 261

­バカ

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 02:22:20 PM
Last edit: March 15, 2013, 02:42:15 PM by pera

Synchronize with the network get slower (almost "exponentially") when you are reaching the end of the blockchain, and for some users it get stuck at some point.
On my case I got like 1 block per minute or more, and I was around 90% for 2 days. But then I realized that if I restarted the client it begun to download the chain again at a rate of ~3 blocks per second, but then after a couple of minutes it was getting slower and slower.
It looked like there was an inverse relationship between the number of peers connected (~10) to my client and the syncing speed, so I tried starting bitcoin-qt with maxconnections=2 and the speed kept at ~2 blocks per second, with 4 connections it was like 3, but then with 5 it was slower...
So, I could finally synchronize with the network in a couple of hours using maxconnections=4 Smiley
I do have UPnP on my router, and (eg) BitTorrent works just fine.

could somebody explain this behaviour?  Huh

キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━ッ!!
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 02:26:47 PM

I don't know why it happens but if I need to bootstrap a new node I start it up with the connect= argument to only download from a single server, ideally one on the same LAN.
pera (OP)

Activity: 532
Merit: 261

­バカ

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 02:33:52 PM
Last edit: March 15, 2013, 02:44:05 PM by pera

I don't know why it happens but if I need to bootstrap a new node I start it up with the connect= argument to only download from a single server, ideally one on the same LAN.
oh you remind me that I was going to suggest some api call to look up for other peers so you can find the best one/faster for your host (for geographical reasons)

キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━ッ!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: