Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 09:19:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ways to Short BTC/USD  (Read 2621 times)
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 08:25:24 PM

Don't know how reliable it is or who the owner is, but I used it yes, to short a little bitcoins from $98 as a hedge for the main position. It worked as expected (i.e, margin call when prices moved above 140 Smiley ).

Yup, leverage is a bitch.  Now if the exchange rate drops back down below $98 you have no hedge left and have direct exposure again.

Simply sell your BTC, and pretend you're going long the dollar.

If you are going to do that and don't need the cash right now ... there is a high level of contango so that gives a way to sell and lock in a certain exchange rate.

So let's say using the example above BTC/USD was $90 and BUM3 (June 14th 2013 settlement) was $98 as you said.    With 1 BTC to short, you could sell 10 BUM3 contracts and essentially have essentially zero exposure to margin call.

So let's say BTC/USD on June 14th is $140.   You then have about 0.7 BTC remaining on June 14th but the exchange rate at that time is $140 so you can sell  those 0.7 BTC and get $98.    But if the exchange rate drops to $70, you then have a little over 1.4 BTC, which at BTC/USD $70 can be sold for ... $98.   

So instead of selling today at the spot market you can sell futures contracts and gain a nice little profit from contango.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █