Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 05:14:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Will I ever see my bitcoin?  (Read 822 times)
wingding (OP)

Activity: 770
Merit: 504

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 04:16:38 PM

Amazed by the ease of transaction with bitcoins I bought some at mtgox. Then i installed a wallet on my pc. Next i transfer one bitcoin to my wallet. No bitcoin is received to my wallet Huh But i see my wallet has not completed synchronizing. That was a few days ago, and now it is close. Will the bitcoin arrive when sync is finished?? Or is my bitcoin lost in cyberspace? (is that possible?)
Isokivi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

Items flashing here available at btctrinkets.com

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2013, 04:21:40 PM

Aslong as the address is correct, and the private key to it secure your coins are fine. You can try looking up the Transaction ID from mtgox and searching for it on blockchain.info for reassurance.

Bitcoin trinkets now on my online store: btc trinkets.com <- Bitcoin Tiepins, cufflinks, lapel pins, keychains, card holders and challenge coins.
Britainacoin

Activity: 256
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 04:34:53 PM
Last edit: March 14, 2018, 01:18:44 PM by Britainacoin

Oh how I hated that initial synchronizing  Cheesy

1PNKrbKtCKk3yorX4zp78LhABARQt5DHA5
Isokivi

Activity: 910

Items flashing here available at btctrinkets.com

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2013, 04:45:17 PM

Oh how I hated that initial synchronizing  Cheesy
I too came close to giving up on it when I first found bitcoin and chose to test it. Boy am I glad I did'nt!

Bitcoin trinkets now on my online store: btc trinkets.com <- Bitcoin Tiepins, cufflinks, lapel pins, keychains, card holders and challenge coins.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2013, 04:51:35 PM

If any noobs are reading this thread, just boot your client up and leave it running overnight, that's what I did, much easier than raging all day about having to synchronise Tongue You guys lol Tongue I remember when internet connections and Bittorrent were so slow you had to wait over night before you could download a full game, now it easily takes less than an hour on a fast connection.
Gator-hex

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 05:01:58 PM

Yes the coin will appear once you download all the block chain (takes days)

If you don't want the hassle of keeping an updating block chain choose a lite client wallet.

Apocalyptic

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 05:04:31 PM

More precisely, it will appear once you have downloaded the block your transaction resides in. Then you will need to wait for a couples of blocks in order to get some confirmations, which will allow you to spend them.
bomboclat77

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 05:06:17 PM

One can download most of the blockchain through torrents and make it faster.

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 05:07:06 PM

More precisely, it will appear once you have downloaded the block your transaction resides in. Then you will need to wait for a couples of blocks in order to get some confirmations, which will allow you to spend them.
What he said.

Remember that if you recently transfered your coins then the transaction will be in a recent block. One of the last blocks that will be downloaded and confirmed. I think your all good.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 05:36:54 PM

Or use a lightweight client

MagicBit15

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

Let's Start a Cryptolution!!

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 06:10:32 PM

Either wait for use a lite wallet. I use multibit regularly and have never had any problems.

Definitely a good option as well.

Tips for Tips: 1Jy8ZycPNjnwNLevNwoRRqPAKkZ8Fqnukc
I won the poetry contest!! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=219714.40 Thank You, Sir Lambert!!
+5 Rep: Successful Forum Transactions: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=176117.0  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=209024.0 https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=233052 Check My Rep!!
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 11:34:10 PM

That was a few days ago, and now it is close.

If you are on an older version of the client (pre v0.Cool that was a big problem.  It is mostly resolved with v0.8.

If you have a screensaver (or worse, sleep mode), Bitcoin-Qt might not get the full resources it would benefit from and thus syncing isn't happening as quickly as it could.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

bitracing

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 12:46:45 AM

One can download most of the blockchain through torrents and make it faster.

That's pretty handy. Why can't this be built into the actual client?
wingding (OP)

Activity: 770
Merit: 504

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 10:02:12 AM

Well, thanks for the replies. It turns out you all were right. The coin showed up as soon as the sync was done. Anything else would ofcourse have been great dissapointment. Will a transaction that not find its destination address just reside in cyberspace forever?
RoxxR

Activity: 208
Merit: 148

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 10:42:21 AM

Hmmm... Whatever you do - DON'T GO NEAR INSTAWALLET..!!!
I had 260 bitcoin STOLEN from there..!!!
That's in excess of $12,000

Strange how that can happen when it's a one time url and only myself and instawallet have access to it.
But what do I know...

Ouch... And it seems you're not the only one:
 https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=150724.0

I'm sorry for you and hope you'll somehow be able to recover them / find the thief.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 03:58:10 PM

Well, thanks for the replies. It turns out you all were right. The coin showed up as soon as the sync was done. Anything else would ofcourse have been great dissapointment. Will a transaction that not find its destination address just reside in cyberspace forever?

If the transaction is in a block, then it has already found its destination address.  If it isn't in a block, then there is a possibility that it will eventually expire if neither the sender nor receiver are re-broadcasting it.  As long as someone is re-broadcasting the transaction on a regular basis, then it will continue to hang out in the memory pool of the full nodes on the network while it waits to be included in a block.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: