Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 06:49:52 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bullish Ascending Triangle Chart Pattern  (Read 3875 times)
SwannyMatt (OP)

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 05:05:57 PM
Last edit: March 20, 2013, 06:24:39 AM by SwannyMatt

http://s1.postimage.org/s1ymgvgpr/2013_03_15_2013_02_15_BTC_Chart.jpg

Click HERE to see the original chart.

Also, part of the contrarian in me thinks the dominant short-term perspective is that Bitcoin is overbought, especially after seeing this (fairly ignorant) article. I think there may be another short-term pop.

Thoughts?
phatsphere

Activity: 763
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 06:08:32 PM

this should be moved into the speculation subforum.
zoinky

Activity: 811
Merit: 1000

Web Developer

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 06:19:46 AM

I'd say the odds are 50/50.
hahahafr

Activity: 938
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 10:45:34 PM

I'd say the odds are 50/50.

Up/Down.

◢◣                      ◢◣
                                     ◢████◣           ◢████◣
                               ◢████████◣◢████████◣
                               █████████████████
                               █████████████████
                               █████████████████
                               █████████████◤██████
                               ███████████◤████████
                               █████████◤██████████
                               ███████◤████████████
                               █████◤██████████████
                               █████◣                       ◢█████
                               ███████◣            ◢███████
                               █████████◣◢█████████
                               ◥████████◤◥████████◤
                                    ◥████◤            ◥████◤
                                          ◥◤                      

HYDAX
       Secure  
   Efficient
   Simple  
   Medium 
    Twitter  
    Telegram 
[/center
BitPirate

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

RMBTB.com: The secure BTC:CNY exchange. 0% fee!

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 03:21:55 AM

Click HERE to see the original chart.

Also, part of the contrarian in me thinks the dominant short-term perspective is that Bitcoin is overbought, especially after seeing this (fairly ignorant) article. I think there may be another short-term pop.

Thoughts?

Bitcoin still has very low penetration compared to the size of the online payment market.

For this reason, I'd say it was under-bought.

afbitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 2101
Merit: 1061

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2013, 12:20:03 AM

My thoughts are that we are going to break up through $50 before the end of March and head up to much higher prices thereafter. Beyond $50 I think will be the start of bubble territory, until now we are still in quite a well defined long term up trend. 
ehoffman

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 12:24:59 AM

In the graph, the 1st "crash" was a correction because the prices raised like 15$ in 2 days.  The second one was the blockchain split panic.  Now it's pretty stable, and I don't see any reason for the prices to crash again.  Monday is coming, along with other news, and that will decide if prices goes up or down...  Wink

Like my comments?  Cheer me up at 137s1qFV63M6SXWhKkwjaZKEeZX23pq1hw
Don't like my comments, donate to the BCRT (better comment research team) here at 1A1PbZypjEe7yanj69ApVS1FhK8UMW7Wdc Smiley
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2013, 04:58:42 AM

I never do predictions but I honestly think our prices fulfill every condition of this pattern, and I think OP's prediction of a little pop is correct. I'm putting my own money down as a result. Either way, everyone knows the primary trend is up.
samson
Legendary

Activity: 2097
Merit: 1070

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 11:01:56 AM

No matter what happens the price won't touch 50 unless someone purchases their way through that huge sell wall of 30,000 BTC.

My theory is that someone is deliberately keeping the price stable between $46.5-$48 for some reason and even if someone did start buying that sell wall another one would appear.
ehoffman

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 11:17:02 AM

I don't think anyone is "keeping" the price where it is...  Sure we do see a lot of small transactions (bots) doing transactions around 47~48, but it's the big transactions who drive the price.  I think people are just waiting for news.

We'll see how the Cyprus/IMF "tax" will play into this...  Smiley

Like my comments?  Cheer me up at 137s1qFV63M6SXWhKkwjaZKEeZX23pq1hw
Don't like my comments, donate to the BCRT (better comment research team) here at 1A1PbZypjEe7yanj69ApVS1FhK8UMW7Wdc Smiley
prof7bit

https://youengine.io/

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2013, 11:24:56 AM

This triangle is not bullish, if you look closely the upper line is slightly descending (and not ascending as you have wrongly painted it in your chart), it is trying hard to look bullish but failing to reach at least the previous level on each new attempt (and therefore failing to paint at least a horizontal upper line into the chart) is actually bearish, expect a serious drop (short term, buying opportunity) before it actually breaks the $50.

Note that this is not the ultimate reversal but its also not a continuation pattern. There will be a serious correction before it can continue.

BitPirate

Activity: 238

RMBTB.com: The secure BTC:CNY exchange. 0% fee!

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 12:02:01 PM

The triangles correspond to two completely unrelated events.

Fundamentally you're looking at two strong rebounds followed by a calm market that is trying to break through but is held back by an artificially manipulated selling wall.

"Serious Correction"? there's nothing magic about a triangle; you can't divorce the charts from the fundamentals.

There won't be a big sell-off. I'm still expecting a breakthrough to $50 once the "sell-wallers" realise that -- actually -- a manipulated market is far less appealing to investors than a naturally volatile one.

Nancarrow

Activity: 492

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 12:06:32 PM

I always like to see technical analysis threads start with the word 'Bullish'. It's so near to self-awareness, but not quite there. You have to squint a bit.

If I've said anything amusing and/or informative and you're feeling generous:
1GNJq39NYtf7cn2QFZZuP5vmC1mTs63rEW
prof7bit

https://youengine.io/

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2013, 12:55:44 PM

by an artificially manipulated selling wall.

Everytime I see the word "manipulated" in such discussions to explain things that are not immediately explainable through the (always incomplete and often plain wrong) model of the fundamentalists I usually stop reading.

Everything is "manipulated"! Even my small 5 BTC orders are manipulated because I created them manually with totally evil and egoistic intentions that others may lose and I may profit. These orders did not happen naturally. Its a market, thats how it works.

Also I am not separating the charts and the fundamentals, quite the opposite, I regard the chart as the ultimate manifestation and the sum of *all* these influences, *BUT* I don't look at them separately because it is most often totally impossible to know exactly how strong each of them will affect price until after it has actually happened. Because I know my model is most likely plain wrong I don't use it at all! Using only the chart and the orderbook and trying to guess the subtle changes in market sentiment and the strength of bulls and bears from there alone and NOT trying to interpret any misunderstood/overvalued/underestimated/unknown fundamentals at all has made me a better trader during all these many years.

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 12:59:43 PM

The simplest reason for why the price stopped going up is that fewer bitcoins are being purchased. Just look at the daily volume since the 13th:

http://bitcoincharts.com/charts/mtgoxUSD#rg60ztgSzm1g10zm2g25zvzcv
SwannyMatt (OP)

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 06:21:08 AM

This triangle is not bullish, if you look closely the upper line is slightly descending (and not ascending as you have wrongly painted it in your chart), it is trying hard to look bullish but failing to reach at least the previous level on each new attempt (and therefore failing to paint at least a horizontal upper line into the chart) is actually bearish, expect a serious drop (short term, buying opportunity) before it actually breaks the $50.

Note that this is not the ultimate reversal but its also not a continuation pattern. There will be a serious correction before it can continue.

The upper line doesn't matter, and was probably flat even. I drew that with MS Paint. What matters was the formation of a big triangle, then the smaller one. Regardless, I was right Grin.
vokain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2013, 03:32:37 AM

would you guys say we're forming another one at the moment?
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 03:57:29 AM

No! It has a triangular shape but not a triangle.
A triangle has a flat top, ascending bottom. A flat bottom, descending top. Or a symmetrical triangle with descending top and ascending bottom.

If it has both ascending/descending lines, it makes a wedge. A true wedge is only found in a wave-1, wave-5, wave-A and wave-C. waves 1 and A are leading diagonals while waves 5 and C are ending diagonals.

Triangles are corrective and All wedges are impulsive.

zkay

Activity: 126

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 04:29:35 AM

No! It has a triangular shape but not a triangle.
A triangle has a flat top, ascending bottom. A flat bottom, descending top. Or a symmetrical triangle with descending top and ascending bottom.

If it has both ascending/descending lines, it makes a wedge. A true wedge is only found in a wave-1, wave-5, wave-A and wave-C. waves 1 and A are leading diagonals while waves 5 and C are ending diagonals.

Triangles are corrective and All wedges are impulsive.

So....

Good? Bad? Pretend we're retarded children.
vokain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2013, 04:39:09 AM

Not bad I don't think, I don't see anything that indicates a change in trend at least.
If coins are selling for $100+ on other exchanges i think we're good.

this looks good, but i'm still not well enough versed in TA yet to confirm:
http://stockcharts.com/school/doku.php?id=chart_school:chart_analysis:chart_patterns:flag_pennant_continu
http://bitcoincharts.com/charts/mtgoxUSD#rg30zig6-hourzczsg2013-03-19zeg2013-04-02ztgSzm1g10zm2g25zv
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: