Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 09:43:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 17 Avalon photos  (Read 19387 times)
johnyj (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 11:45:18 PM
Last edit: March 20, 2013, 01:19:55 PM by johnyj

After days of communication with custom, finally they released the package and I managed to fetch the Avalon machine before weekend. I planned to order 2 units, but since that batch is so small and order system is crowded, I ordered just one. But now I know that some people ordered 10 or more, seems centralization is the destiny for everything  Tongue

I opened the Avalon before I connected it, took some photos and admired ngzhang's artworks  Cool Cool

Chinese cable and wifi antenna are the only accessories

Well protected packaging

Machine feels solid and heavy

The case is very simple but smartly connected by 6 pieces of 3mm thick aluminum PLATE, the material Avalon used are quite generous, if not unnecessary

To my surprise, the overall finish of the machine, especially PCB board is much better than I expected, it is not only used for mining, it can also be used for decorating Grin Grin Many years ago my first batch of PCB production had much worse layout and components, but still sold for more than 200 dollars each. Consider that Avalon contains 3 large hashing unit and two routing board, many quality components, it worth the dollar spent from a hardware perspective

The protective plast and the IKEA-style conjunction

3 hashunit-v1. On left side of hashing unit, just after the fan, I observed lot's of dirt, it means unit has been thoroughly tested for days

WR703, the usb cable was fixed by the tape

Power routing module, this part and the data routing module on the left are crowded by lot's of wires, difficult to get a clear photo

The heatsink is directly mounted on the bottom plate, so bottom plate also works as part of the heatsink

The special 2x6 power connector and HDD cable, now my HDD cable in closet will have some use again, I think the hashing module can be re-arranged to improve cooling

A memory of PATA hard drive and 2xPCIE graphic card power supply

The backplane

The backplane connects 8 small hashing units together, part of my unit are full of thermal compound

Closely examine all the small hashing units, I can see that most of them have only 2-3 screws attached, I don't know if adding more will improve the cooling

Avalon Project by ngzhang  Grin  Modulized power supply design proved how much power are required by each small unit

Compare to previous popular hashing unit

Now test running,  when the fan speed is relatively low, noise is around 55-60 DB at a 50cm distance. Close the case won't improve the noise performance much, since the case is not isolated. Better open it to improve cooling. Anyway such noise is not suitable for putting in the bedroom

It is very interesting to see how these engineers cleverly utilized many existing PC technologys to reduce the custom design effort and accelerated the final delivery process

Now snow fall attacked Avalon

Larger version of photos:
http://avalon.mystisland.org/a01.jpg
http://avalon.mystisland.org/a02.jpg
http://avalon.mystisland.org/a03.jpg
http://avalon.mystisland.org/a04.jpg
http://avalon.mystisland.org/a05.jpg
http://avalon.mystisland.org/a06.jpg
http://avalon.mystisland.org/a07.jpg
http://avalon.mystisland.org/a08.jpg
http://avalon.mystisland.org/a09.jpg
http://avalon.mystisland.org/a10.jpg
http://avalon.mystisland.org/a11.jpg
http://avalon.mystisland.org/a12.jpg
http://avalon.mystisland.org/a13.jpg
http://avalon.mystisland.org/a14.jpg
http://avalon.mystisland.org/a15.jpg
http://avalon.mystisland.org/a16.jpg

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
server
Legendary

Activity: 892
Merit: 1002

1 BTC =1 BTC

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 11:47:38 PM

Thanks man !

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 11:48:25 PM

Ok, now can you take those photos down until you watermark them?
Because I can guarantee if you leave them like they are they will end up on ebay on scam listings.

The community thanks you.
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 11:51:32 PM

So each larger module is composed of 8 smaller modules?

I really do wonder what Gen 2 will bring. I had thought that the large modules were one solid piece....apparently they break down into even smaller ones....
crazyearner
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 12:08:54 AM

Hi jonnyj Can you tell me if you where in Batch #1 or Batch #2 and location thx.

=
  R E B E L L I O U S 
  ▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄                           ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄
▄▀        █▄▄                     ▄▄█        ▀▄
█            █████████████████████            █
█▄          ██       ██ ██       ██          ▄█
█        █            █            █        █
  █    █               █               █    █
   █ ██               █ █               ██ █
    █ █               █ █               █ █
    █ ███▄  █████▄   ██ ██   ▄█████  ▄███ █
    █     ███     █         █     ███     █
     █   █   ▀███ █  █   █  █ ███▀   █   █
     █   █      █ █  █   █  █ █      █   █
     █   █      ██  █     █  ██      █   █
      █  █     ██  █       █  ██     █  █
      █  █    ██  █ ███████ █  ██    █  █
      █ ███   ██  █         █  ██   ███ █
       █   ▀███      █   █      ███▀   █
        █     ██       █       ██     █
         █      █   ▄▄███▄▄   █      █
          ███   ███▀       ▀███   ███
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
  ▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄                           ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄
▄▀        █▄▄                     ▄▄█        ▀▄
█            █████████████████████            █
█▄          ██       ██ ██       ██          ▄█
█        █            █            █        █
  █    █               █               █    █
   █ ██               █ █               ██ █
    █ █               █ █               █ █
    █ ███▄  █████▄   ██ ██   ▄█████  ▄███ █
    █     ███     █         █     ███     █
     █   █   ▀███ █  █   █  █ ███▀   █   █
     █   █      █ █  █   █  █ █      █   █
     █   █      ██  █     █  ██      █   █
      █  █     ██  █       █  ██     █  █
      █  █    ██  █ ███████ █  ██    █  █
      █ ███   ██  █         █  ██   ███ █
       █   ▀███      █   █      ███▀   █
        █     ██       █       ██     █
         █      █   ▄▄███▄▄   █      █
          ███   ███▀       ▀███   ███
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
  R E B E L L I O U S
buyshowher

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 01:23:27 AM

You are a  lucky dog. I'm in China and have not received my batch#1
bittenbob

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 01:35:40 AM

Great unboxing thread.

You say wow about the tape but I said my own wow about it - just not the wow you are thinking of. As someone who is involved with materials testing I instantly recognize that as Kapton tape. Google it. It was used on the Apollo missions and has the best temperature resistance of any tape out there. It is truly a space age material. It may just be one of (if not) the most expensive tapes you can buy.  Grin
johnyj (OP)
Legendary

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 01:45:58 AM

Hi jonnyj Can you tell me if you where in Batch #1 or Batch #2 and location thx.

batch 1 order 198

I remember that I waited until count down and the ordering website was immediately overloaded by users and crashed, I tried again and again for another 1-2 hour and finally got one order in, just lucky and some patient

I believe Avalon team is working full speed to make the delivery. But it is a tough task for a small team to deliver 900 units in one-two month, include the test

johnyj (OP)
Legendary

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 01:54:11 AM

So each larger module is composed of 8 smaller modules?

I really do wonder what Gen 2 will bring. I had thought that the large modules were one solid piece....apparently they break down into even smaller ones....

That backplate holds 8 submodules, but the heatsink size is fixed. I think gen2 will be the same as gen1 for hashing unit, maybe the control unit is upgraded

I just checked Avalon's claim back then: "If the prototype can be made before the end of January, then mass volume production will be guaranteed. If the prototype can not be made before end of January, you will get refund."

So they did follow the schedule, just no time to talk, no tracking email...  All my messages and tickets were ignored, kind of scaring

Magnate

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 02:04:48 AM

They should use a modular PSU to get rid of all the excess cables. Very messy.

And why the third different fan? Probably just there to prevent circulation back through the third hole and they use the same front/rear plates.

Hopefully they make improvements for V2. However I don't think they will last much after V3 with the 28nm ASICs due later in the year.
johnyj (OP)
Legendary

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 03:03:21 AM

They should use a modular PSU to get rid of all the excess cables. Very messy.

And why the third different fan? Probably just there to prevent circulation back through the third hole and they use the same front/rear plates.

Hopefully they make improvements for V2. However I don't think they will last much after V3 with the 28nm ASICs due later in the year.

They can keep it backward compatible so that v3 modules fits in the case, the case is really luxury, pure aluminum Grin

pc163

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 05:33:57 AM

congrats.   even a lots of chinese customer haven't got the unit yet. I really doubt they can finish batch #!  before May, according the delivery rate
ngzhang

Activity: 592
Merit: 501

We will stand and fight.

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 07:36:48 AM

2 points:

1, keep the case closed.
2, the 40pin ribbon cable our using is not IDE cable. IDE cables have some internal connect.
shmadz
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

@theshmadz

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 11:56:09 AM

Thank you for the great pictures!

Ngzhang, you should feel very proud!

- originally, due to lack of high quality photos and some misunderstanding, I was under the impression that the fans were exhausting heat, blowing out. Now from your photos it *looks* like the fans are intake fans to blow cold air into the case (makes much better sense) can you confirm?

- also, I am assuming that I should have no problem replacing the PSU with a modular one? (I've got a silverstone 1200 gold that is sadly under-utilized atm) - should easily handle a fourth module when the time comes.

- I was also thinking of using some ducting in the extra space from the missing 4th module to force air through the fins. I'm now thinking this is unnecessary as the bottom module should be the coolest one anyways, and ducting may have no effect on increasing air flow through the upper 2 modules.

After seeing some of Ngzhang's comments I'm thinking the only mods I'll be making are replacing the PSU and directing an AC unit blowing towards the intake. And of course adding 4th module when they come available  Grin

"You have no moral right to rule us, nor do you possess any methods of enforcement that we have reason to fear." - John Perry Barlow, 1996
johnyj (OP)
Legendary

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 02:36:34 PM

2 points:

1, keep the case closed.
2, the 40pin ribbon cable our using is not IDE cable. IDE cables have some internal connect.

Thanks for the advice, is this mean that I can not use the own cable to re-arrange the modules? I think they should be shifted to the other side of case to avoid overheating close to the PSU  Undecided

johnyj (OP)
Legendary

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 02:46:44 PM

Thank you for the great pictures!

Ngzhang, you should feel very proud!

- originally, due to lack of high quality photos and some misunderstanding, I was under the impression that the fans were exhausting heat, blowing out. Now from your photos it *looks* like the fans are intake fans to blow cold air into the case (makes much better sense) can you confirm?

- also, I am assuming that I should have no problem replacing the PSU with a modular one? (I've got a silverstone 1200 gold that is sadly under-utilized atm) - should easily handle a fourth module when the time comes.

- I was also thinking of using some ducting in the extra space from the missing 4th module to force air through the fins. I'm now thinking this is unnecessary as the bottom module should be the coolest one anyways, and ducting may have no effect on increasing air flow through the upper 2 modules.

After seeing some of Ngzhang's comments I'm thinking the only mods I'll be making are replacing the PSU and directing an AC unit blowing towards the intake. And of course adding 4th module when they come available  Grin

The upper side close to PSU is very crowded, I think the airflow here is not very good, I can feel by hand that module close to PSU is the hottest one. So I plan to move them to the lower part, but I'm afraid the cables are not long enough. Anyway I plan to use an external blower fan directly blow on top of them no matter the temperature. I might take everything out of the box and put them into my totally ventilated basket on balcony  Cheesy

Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 03:07:37 PM

Wow, nice pictures.  I wish I'd been the guy to do it, but I instead just plugged mine in first thing.

I think it's a shame how some ppl are failing to appreciate the design that went into the Avalon cases, and are planning to drill them full of holes, or get rid of the case completely.  I can only hope that they'll sell what's left of the Avalon to me after they kill it.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
Uncle Scrooge

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 05:23:23 PM

Thanks J for the time and effort in taking and posting pics.
SolarSilver
Legendary

Activity: 1112

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 06:46:47 PM

Yes the fans suck in cold air and push it into the machine over the cooling fins, thus creating positive pressure inside the machine, the hot air just rolls out on the other side (nothing in it's way is obstructing it's path)

You basicly want to do this?

johnyj (OP)
Legendary

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 06:55:13 PM
Last edit: March 16, 2013, 07:07:33 PM by johnyj

Wow, nice pictures.  I wish I'd been the guy to do it, but I instead just plugged mine in first thing.

I think it's a shame how some ppl are failing to appreciate the design that went into the Avalon cases, and are planning to drill them full of holes, or get rid of the case completely.  I can only hope that they'll sell what's left of the Avalon to me after they kill it.

I'm a hardware fan, it is something close to the physical world  Cheesy

I think the placement of WR703 is questionable: It is directly exposed under the hot air blowed from the heatsink, and 43 degree is not an ideal working temperature for such a small device without cooling. I have seen someone placed it outside of the box and that makes some sense

Same with PSU, it is located near the end of the heatsink where hotest air is sucked into PSU

Currently my unit is put on balcony and the temperature there is -2c degree, but my weather sensor still reports a 37 degree at exhaust

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: