Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:32:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoins not showing up in wallet, but are visible on blockchain.info?  (Read 3047 times)
tkbx (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 12:39:46 AM

I sent bitcoins to one of my addresses earlier. According to blockchain.info, it's got a positive balance and my one transaction with almost 90 confirmations. When I load that wallet in Bitcoin-Qt, it shows a balance of 0.00, fully synced. Under transactions, it shows no transactions. Why is this happening?

EDIT: To clarify, I partially followed this guide: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/How_to_set_up_a_secure_offline_savings_wallet

I went offline, generated my new wallet, quit Bitcoin-Qt, encrypted the wallet.dat with a third party AES program, and srm'd the original wallet.dat. I know it's not as secure, but for the small amount of funds I planned to have in it, the extra steps weren't worth it. I unencrypted it and got my wallet.dat file, quit Bitcoin-qt, and loaded the wallet, and now I'm here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 12:57:40 AM

Solution: start bitcoin-qt with the -rescan flag.
How to do it depends on your OS, but you didn't say which one you're using.
tkbx (OP)

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 01:10:26 AM

I'm using OSX, it's inconvenient, but doable.

Takes a while to rescan, huh? Not done yet, but that's got to be it (EDIT: done, worked perfectly). Thanks for the help.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 01:37:12 AM

Takes a while to rescan, huh? Not done yet, but that's got to be it (EDIT: done, worked perfectly). Thanks for the help.

I'm not exactly sure of it, but I could almost swear inserting rescan=1 in the bitcoin.conf file and starting bitcoin-qt normally would also work.
Must try it. That way I'll be sure and won't forget about it again.
tkbx (OP)

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 02:03:55 AM

I'm not exactly sure of it, but I could almost swear inserting rescan=1 in the bitcoin.conf file and starting bitcoin-qt normally would also work.
Must try it. That way I'll be sure and won't forget about it again.
It seems the easiest way on OSX is:
Code:
/path/to/Bitcoin-Qt.app/Contents/MacOS/Bitcoin-Qt --args
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: