Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 06:59:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Someone Using Namecoin on OSX Please Help Me Out...  (Read 1773 times)
Sage (OP)

Activity: 632
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 03:03:33 AM

...I'm having a hell of a time getting any of the terminal commands to work.

Getting an error...

-bash: namecoind: command not found

What are the specific commands and syntax I need to enter into Terminal to...

Get my namecoin address

Check the namecoin balance

Create another namecoin address

Huh

dust

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2013, 04:12:41 AM

1. Make sure you are in the folder containing namecoind. Use cd to change directories.  You can use TAB when typing to autocomplete directories.  For example:

Code:
cd /Users/<YOUR USER NAME>/Documents/namecoin

2. Make sure the namecoind binary is actually named namecoind.  Mine is named namecoind_osx64 for some reason, but I can't remember if I renamed it.

3. Make sure namecoind is executable.  Use chmod to add the execute permission.
Code:
chmod +x namecoind

4. Start namecoind.  Even if you are in the correct directory, simply running namecoind will result in "command not found".  You must prefix executables in the current directory with "./" (a single dot refers to the current directory).
Adding the "&" to the command will run it in the background, so you can continue using the terminal.  Running namecoind for the first time may prompt you to create a configuration file with an rpc user and password.

Code:
./namecoind&

5. Then try to issue commands.  Here are some example commands, use help to list them all.
Code:
./namecoind help
./namecoind getinfo
./namecoind getnewaddress
./namecoind getbalance

6. To shut down namecoind cleanly, use the stop command

Code:
./namecoind stop

Cryptocoin Mining Info | OTC | PGP | Twitter | freenode: dust-otc | BTC: 1F6fV4U2xnpAuKtmQD6BWpK3EuRosKzF8U
Sage (OP)

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 05:05:53 AM

Cool beans!  It worked.

Now how to secure the wallet file?

Do you know any ways to secure the wallet file?  And/or simply change the location of the wallet file (so I can put it in a Truecrypt vault)?
dust

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2013, 05:16:45 AM

Does namecoin not support wallet encryption?

You can use a symlink to point namecoin to a wallet in a truecrypt container.

For example (back up your wallet first before messing around with links!)
Code:
ln -s /Volumes/NO\ NAME/wallet.dat /Users/<YOUR USER NAME>/Library/Application\ Support/Namecoin/wallet.dat

Note that if you run namecoind without mounting the truecrypt container first, it will overwrite your symlink with a blank wallet (you won't lose your wallet, it will still be in the truecrypt container, but you will have to delete the empty wallet and recreate the link) Please be careful using commands if you do not fully understand how they work.

EDIT: doublec's method here is probably better/easier for namecoin, as the blockchain is relatively small you put everything in a container and still be able to easily back it up: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=153564.msg1630096#msg1630096

Cryptocoin Mining Info | OTC | PGP | Twitter | freenode: dust-otc | BTC: 1F6fV4U2xnpAuKtmQD6BWpK3EuRosKzF8U
Sage (OP)

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 06:18:36 AM

Worked like a charm.

Thanks
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: