Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 08:09:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Help! 5 things I think I know about crypto. Are they all wrong?  (Read 943 times)
frenulum (OP)

Activity: 146
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 04, 2016, 02:16:41 AM

Hello

Decided to invest a small amount of money (maybe around €2k) into some crypto, in the hopes that I might make a good return over time.
I'm not up to speed on all this stuff and have read some conflicting points. Here is an outline of my very basic understanding so far. I would be really grateful if someone could correct any misunderstandings I may have.

1 - Ethereum is unlikely to "moon" because it is meant as a stable exchange token and the supply is copious and more can be introduced on a whim. It is unlikely to break the 10-20 dollar range.
Any truth in this? I read something along these lines recently and was rather disappointed.

2 - Similarly, the price of Ripple XRP, is unlikely to shoot up significantly.
Or am I way off target?

3 - The DAO, while interesting, will most likely be a failed project, but there are other DAOs to look forward to?

4 - Litecoin has some advantages over Bitcoin and is likely to grow, alongside Bitcoin.

5 - Bitcoin is the best investment because it stands the best chance of longterm success, and its depreciating nature ensures price growth.

Many thanks in advance!

Jan 2018 recommendations: HST, ETN, HTML, EOS
LemonAndFriesOne
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 04, 2016, 03:14:52 AM

Look into NEM, not trying to hype the project or anything.

It has a very steady valuation, the guy who started it disappeared and left it to other devs (meaning it has become decentralized).

But do some research and invest what you are willing to lose, nothing more. Do not panic and if you have faith in your investments, try to forget about them and check in once a month to see their status.
robelneo
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 1205

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2016, 03:34:17 AM

I would like to invite you to see the chesscoin thread,it's an ambitious project and probably one pf the project worth getting into,they are on the ICO mode and surprisingly traded already traded on Yobit,

The dev initially wants ask the Yobit team to accept them after the Ico but they readily accept it ..

gustav

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 04, 2016, 04:34:54 AM

There are other people more wrong than you are. I think you could run with that. But never be too sure Wink

Also: stay 5 yards away from ico-scams because they're most likely all rigged.
kiklo
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
July 04, 2016, 04:42:34 AM

Hello

Decided to invest a small amount of money (maybe around €2k) into some crypto, in the hopes that I might make a good return over time.
I'm not up to speed on all this stuff and have read some conflicting points. Here is an outline of my very basic understanding so far. I would be really grateful if someone could correct any misunderstandings I may have.

1 - Ethereum is unlikely to "moon" because it is meant as a stable exchange token and the supply is copious and more can be introduced on a whim. It is unlikely to break the 10-20 dollar range.
Any truth in this? I read something along these lines recently and was rather disappointed.

2 - Similarly, the price of Ripple XRP, is unlikely to shoot up significantly.
Or am I way off target?

3 - The DAO, while interesting, will most likely be a failed project, but there are other DAOs to look forward to?

Ethereum , Ripple , & DAO are all 3 Hyped and manipulated by some players with access to enormous amounts of capital.
Real world use is pathetic in terms of adoption.
Could these manipulators pump these coins , sure they can and are, problem is you don't know when they are going to drop their markets either.
So only bet what you are willing to lose, and take some profits otherwise when they do pull the rug out, you will lose everything.

4 - Litecoin has some advantages over Bitcoin and is likely to grow, alongside Bitcoin.

Litecoin is faster costs less and is not hitting a transactions wall.
It should do better as time goes on irrelevant of what BTC does.

5 - Bitcoin is the best investment because it stands the best chance of longterm success, and its depreciating nature ensures price growth.

Many thanks in advance!

Hmm,
No not the best investment, LTC is a better investment.
Odds wise is it more likely LTC goes to $8  than BTC goes to $1400 .
Both double your money , the LTC is the more likely to happen.
Other Alts have the potential to give 100x or more return and still not even be worth a $1, but % wise you would make the same amount of money when converted to Fiat.

Cool

FYI:
For Alts with the 100x potential , look at Proof of Stake coins where you are your own miner.
PoW only coins aside from the BTC, LTC, & Doge will probably not have any lasting power as the increasing costs to keep their networks running causes their demise.
spartak_t
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1176

@FAILCommunity

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2016, 06:07:15 AM

kiklo gave you the best advice so far. If I was you, I would invest them all in Litecoin. It's highly unlikely to lose (much) on this one, but the chance for profit is high. But you should be fast, becase of 2 things:
1. There is less than a week before the Bitcoin halvening, which may affect the price (positive or negative... who knows?) of the coin you decided to invest.
2. If Bitcoin's price goes higher after the halvening, Litecoin will follow for sure, and it can even rise in price much more than BTC.

If you, for example, double your money, then I think you could sell everything, withdraw half of your "investment" (or lets say 75% of your total worth in cryptocurrency (i.e. 3000 euro))?). After that you can try doing some tradings and see if this is for you. Smiley

That's just my opinion...

freshman777

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2016, 07:46:32 AM

All 5 things you have listed are dubious.

If you want to invest in crypto, you should realize that there is no one crypto that is best.

http://coinmarketcap.com
research top 20 coins, make own decision.
Proper safe diversification is buying into 5-10 coins. Less than 5 is not adequate diversification, more than 10 can be hard to follow and will spread your capital too thin.
5-10 is the right balance.

There are 5 very interesting coins among top 20 coins, and another 5 are pretty interesting.
Ripple is not interesting at all.

ARDOR - Blockchain as a Service. Three birds with one stone. /// Do not hold NXT at exchanges, NXT wallets: core+lite, mobile Android
frenulum (OP)

View Profile
July 04, 2016, 02:24:05 PM

Thanks for all the replies, especially kiklo.

I intend on diversifying, but wasn't sure what kind of ratios to allocate. I think I'll give LTC the lions share, followed by BTC

letsplayagame

Activity: 308

View Profile
July 04, 2016, 02:44:46 PM

I would like to invite you to see the chesscoin thread,it's an ambitious project and probably one pf the project worth getting into,they are on the ICO mode and surprisingly traded already traded on Yobit,

The dev initially wants ask the Yobit team to accept them after the Ico but they readily accept it ..

As the best chess player here I am willing to affirm that Chesscoin looks like a horrible project. The ICO setup is among the most greedy I have seen, they have done nothing to demonstrate the technical competence to deliver what is promised and it is already trading on Yobit (during the ICO).

Stay away

To the OP, avoid all projects where the promoters frequently talk about potential rate of return. Focus on learning more about cryptography. Most alt coins are just clones with nothing but a different marketing angle meant to attract those without much knowledge.

Of the 5 coins you mentioned in the OP, BTC is my favorite and XRP is my least favorite. Don't trust me or anyone else posting in this thread. Conduct more research and avoid rash decisions.

Sometimes the best investment decision is to make no investment at all.

Chess, Bitcoin, Privacy and Freedom
Code:
 Make BTC Donations via XMR.TO or Shapeshift XMR: 47nMGDMQxEB8CWpWT7QgBLDmTSxgjm9831dVeu24ebCeH8gNPG9RvZAYoPxW2JniKjeq5LXZafwdPWH7AmX2NVji3yYKy76 
jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1107

View Profile
July 04, 2016, 02:49:28 PM

It has a very steady valuation...

Lol wtf are you saying. It's up like 1000% versus BTC since early this year. Trying to get the next sucker to buy in at the top I guess...
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
July 04, 2016, 03:01:41 PM

Did you know Cryptography has nothing to do with smart contracts, ICO's, Block-Chains or even currencies ?

Google it Wink

FUD first & ask questions later™
spartak_t
Legendary

@FAILCommunity

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2016, 03:07:59 PM

Lol wtf are you saying. It's up like 1000% versus BTC since early this year. Trying to get the next sucker to buy in at the top I guess...

It was definetely a pump. NEM was kinda silent until early March when it had over $0.5Mn volume. It's price is now tenfold since January this year. Much like Bitcoin did back in 2013.

LemonAndFriesOne
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
July 04, 2016, 03:22:15 PM

Not at all, I could care less if he buys into it.

I am an initial investor, that I will not keep a secret.

Just suggesting some diversification options and if you have been around long enough you can see how steady NEM has been. Meaning if you invest now you most likely wont loose much if you decide to pull out. I also said "invest what you are willing to lose", he can invest $5 even 50 cents and it wont make a difference.

I can see a lot of people on BTC talk are salty because they ignored NEM for so long, it's ok. All had a chance when it was at 40 sats and still decided to ignore it.
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 16719

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2016, 03:30:32 PM

Litecoin is faster costs less and is not hitting a transactions wall.
It should do better as time goes on irrelevant of what BTC does.
Although I agree on your first 3 points, and it's basis is better than Bitcoin, it needs more users to go up in value. That hasn't happened for years, and I see no reason for Litecoin to become more popular all of a sudden.
It lost a lot of its value against Bitcoin recently.

khalized

Activity: 350

View Profile
July 04, 2016, 03:34:40 PM

To me, LTC is silver to BTC, which is gold!
They are simultaneously related and are not hyped like the other cryptos like monero, Lisk etc.

So far LTC is the most stable crypto of all times.
Observe how the other coins get collapsed soon after they reaches the maximum volatility.
spartak_t
Legendary

@FAILCommunity

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2016, 03:39:52 PM

Observe how the other coins get collapsed soon after they reaches the maximum volatility.

It depends. I'm not sure if you remember, but Litecoin was pumped and dumped about a year ago. At one point it had more volume even than Bitcoin. It was a chinese scheme, which gathered like 8 million LTC (If I remember correctly), pumped it and then dumped like 7.5 million coins in 2-3 days. LTC is like 4.5 time cheaper vs. Bitcoin since then. I am also a fan of Litecoin, because of the Charlie Lee's policy, but it can collapse too. Smiley

ivan1975
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 1168

View Profile
July 04, 2016, 03:45:37 PM

To me, LTC is silver to BTC, which is gold!
They are simultaneously related and are not hyped like the other cryptos like monero, Lisk etc.

btw, today published a roadmap for LTC:
https://www.reddit.com/r/litecoin/comments/4r3dww/the_2016_litecoin_road_map/
frenulum (OP)

View Profile
July 04, 2016, 04:15:01 PM

Any thoughts on The DAO?

Thanks again for all the discussion.

raphma

View Profile
July 04, 2016, 04:46:26 PM

right now, i wouldnt put money in none of your options... eth and the DAO are almost dead. the only thing keeping them up is manipulation and if you want to buy some of these wait for the hard fork and see how the market reacts.

i dont know why some people like LTC... but indeed, it is stable so it's on you.

aanndd... bitcoin. this one is a good investment BUT the halving is in this week, we might see a little dump before the pump so stay close to buy the dip.
raphma

View Profile
July 04, 2016, 04:51:36 PM

Any thoughts on The DAO?

Thanks again for all the discussion.

about the dao...

https://np.reddit.com/r/ethereum/comments/4p9z93/it_seems_attacker_just_targeted_the_whitehatdaos/d4j7ldn

two times hacked by the same person... i would stay way.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: