Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 10:16:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitlox wallet review  (Read 958 times)
starsoccer9 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1630
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 04, 2016, 12:49:46 PM

BitLox Hardware Wallet Review

Short Summary
The Bitlox wallet is a nice small credit card sized wallet. It has a nice smooth and flat feel to it, with each number key slightly raised with the center raised the highest. It reminds me very much of the case wallet in that sense, but that is where the similarities end. The wallet has almost double the screen space compared to the case wallet, which you will surely use.The wallet includes 2 USB cables, one short one and one long one. The cables have BitLox branding on them and are also flat compared to the regularly rounded cables and gives the wallet that premium feel. I was only given the wallet for this review, but decided to pay extra in order to get the Bitlox USB vault. The Vault it self is simply a pin protected USB with tails on it. The cap has the Bitlox branding on it as well, but sadly it does not seem to come preloaded with any Bitlox software, which I am not sure if this is good or bad as I know the image is clean and can only install what I want on it.

If I had to pick the best feature of the Bitlox wallet, it would be the E-INK display. What is so great about it you can bring up the wallet/deposit QR code and then turn off the device. Now I basically have a re-usable wallet that pulls no power. The only complaint I have about this is that it is not possible to generate a new QR code/address for each deposit, sort of a quick hand way to hold down a key or two and have it just instantly generate a new address and then turn off again.

My biggest complaint would be the power switch; The switch is quite small and found it a pain to turn on and off, but this will definitely not turn on by its self in your pocket like a smart phone. While it may be clear to most bitcointalk users that 0 means off and 1 means on, some may not understand this.

All in all if you want a secure wallet with many advanced features this wallet beats the rest. It has some of the most security features. While it does lack in speed and general bells and whistles it works great as a hardware wallet.

Pros and Cons List:

PRO
CON
Hardware closed source
E-Ink Display
Can be slow to react
Full number pad
No existing brand/trust
Advanced Features

Image Walkthrough

The first step when turning the device on is setting it up. This means selecting your language

Next you get to select how complex(secure) of a setup you want

Chosing expert allows you to have a lot of extra settings such as setting up the AEM

Finally we have the formatting of the device after setting it up

Below you can see the desktop wallet software.  Its quite simple and easy to use. I really like that is utilizes a dark theme unlike many other wallets.

I also love the E-Ink Display. Below is a picture of the screen after turning it off on the wallet/qr code screen. It has been sitting like this for nearly a month now

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: