Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:17:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Decentralized reputation network  (Read 911 times)
maincoon (OP)

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2016, 06:58:06 PM

# p2p-trust-network

This is so far just some loose ideas

## Rationale

Often it's useful to be able to trust an online identity, i.e. for peer-to-peer lending sites, peer-to-peer home exchange sites, work assignments, etc.

Most often the various platforms (like Couchsurfing, Uber, BeWelcome, Loanbase, Localbitcoins etc) will have some built-in support for ratings; user account A can leaving positive feedback for B after A and B has had an interaction on that platform.  The ratings never leave the platform.  There are usually no ways to see the difference between a conman creating yet another fake account and a newcomer to the platform.  It is impossible for an outsider that have been scammed on one platform to leave a negative feedback warning users on another platform about the scammer.

What we need is a global network-of-trust system.  It should be truely peer-to-peer, it should be based on open standards and open source.  Just the risk of getting negative feedback on such a network could be enough deterrent to avoid certain types of scam.

## Features needed

A real person should be able to record personal details.

A real person should be able to record various online identities and link them up to the personal details.

A real person should be able to record different kind of trust in the system, like "I've met Peter and verified his ID documents", "I know the real person Peter has the username peter123 on Google Buzz", "Peter cannot be trusted", "I borrowed my car to Peter and he never came back with it", "I endorse Peter for his knowledge of greek ancient history", etc.

One should be able to query an online identity and if there is any kind of chain between you and this account it should be visible.

It should be easy to import/sync data from existing systems.  I.e, importing data from PGP "web-of-trust", importing data from sites like LinkedIn and Facebook, etc.

## Privacy and problems

Such a network will contain a lot of valuable metadata that can be abused in all sorts of ways - that's something to be concerned over.  One should consider smart ways to use encryption.

Such a network is also quite open to unjust revenge-attacks from angry ex-partners, etc.

## Implementation details

A global database - perhaps something blockchain-based?

## Existing works

* OpenPGP key signings is already some form of "web-of-trust"-network - but it has quite some weaknesses, it is only useful for connecting email addresses with real names.  A keysigning supposedly should be read as "I have checked the ID documents of Eve", though it's normal to skip the ID verification process.
* PeerTrust - http://www.cc.gatech.edu/projects/disl/PeerTrust/ - seems to be a white paper from 2004.  The "Related Work"-section contains only dead links
* Keybase - keybase.io
* Namecoin
* Orisi
* Onename
* TrustDavies http://earlbarr.com/publications/trustdavis.pdf

Source: https://github.com/tobixen/p2p-trust-network

Looking for feedback.

❘|❘ NEUFUND — Re-Imagine ICOs | Connect off- and on-chain with equity tokens | Enjoy risk-free commitment ❘|❘
JOIN THE ICBM | JOIN THE DISCUSSION

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Emerge
Legendary

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 05, 2016, 01:01:50 AM

Still working on it on the Lisk platform. Btw, I'm still building up a portfolio with Node.JS and learning Python now as well
MadCow

Activity: 655
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 23, 2016, 06:40:17 AM

Decentralized reputation network - one of the holy grails (along with DEX). You might be interested in Bitmark
BitcoinLitecoinDogecoin

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 23, 2016, 09:50:34 AM

You should check out Bitmark
sotisoti

Activity: 762
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 08, 2016, 08:16:51 AM

# p2p-trust-network

This is so far just some loose ideas

## Rationale

Often it's useful to be able to trust an online identity, i.e. for peer-to-peer lending sites, peer-to-peer home exchange sites, work assignments, etc.

Most often the various platforms (like Couchsurfing, Uber, BeWelcome, Loanbase, Localbitcoins etc) will have some built-in support for ratings; user account A can leaving positive feedback for B after A and B has had an interaction on that platform.  The ratings never leave the platform.  There are usually no ways to see the difference between a conman creating yet another fake account and a newcomer to the platform.  It is impossible for an outsider that have been scammed on one platform to leave a negative feedback warning users on another platform about the scammer.

What we need is a global network-of-trust system.  It should be truely peer-to-peer, it should be based on open standards and open source.  Just the risk of getting negative feedback on such a network could be enough deterrent to avoid certain types of scam.

## Features needed

A real person should be able to record personal details.

A real person should be able to record various online identities and link them up to the personal details.

A real person should be able to record different kind of trust in the system, like "I've met Peter and verified his ID documents", "I know the real person Peter has the username peter123 on Google Buzz", "Peter cannot be trusted", "I borrowed my car to Peter and he never came back with it", "I endorse Peter for his knowledge of greek ancient history", etc.

One should be able to query an online identity and if there is any kind of chain between you and this account it should be visible.

It should be easy to import/sync data from existing systems.  I.e, importing data from PGP "web-of-trust", importing data from sites like LinkedIn and Facebook, etc.

## Privacy and problems

Such a network will contain a lot of valuable metadata that can be abused in all sorts of ways - that's something to be concerned over.  One should consider smart ways to use encryption.

Such a network is also quite open to unjust revenge-attacks from angry ex-partners, etc.

## Implementation details

A global database - perhaps something blockchain-based?

## Existing works

* OpenPGP key signings is already some form of "web-of-trust"-network - but it has quite some weaknesses, it is only useful for connecting email addresses with real names.  A keysigning supposedly should be read as "I have checked the ID documents of Eve", though it's normal to skip the ID verification process.
* PeerTrust - http://www.cc.gatech.edu/projects/disl/PeerTrust/ - seems to be a white paper from 2004.  The "Related Work"-section contains only dead links
* Keybase - keybase.io
* Namecoin
* Orisi
* Onename
* TrustDavies http://earlbarr.com/publications/trustdavis.pdf

Source: https://github.com/tobixen/p2p-trust-network

Looking for feedback.
Been thinking about this for a while but how do you prevent others from posting fake reviews? What if someone has access to an unprotected GPG private key / leaked password of a mailbox and eventually tries to impersonate someone else?

Bitrated user: sotisoti.
ChluNetwork

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2017, 02:49:14 PM

Hey guys, we love the discussion here. Decentralized reputation is something our team has been thinking long and hard about. We think we have found a solution. Check out our white paper at CHLU.io and see what you think!

We will be posting an announcement on bitcointalk soon with more details.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: