Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:01:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: European Union is robbing its citizens' bank accounts. 9.9% to be confiscated.  (Read 33189 times)
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 09:51:26 AM

And the banks lie as well, never forget that.

No shit, Sherlock?

Sorry for the irony, but where did I say the opposite? I'm repeating post after post that bank shareholders should lose everything, and get absolutely nothing in return.
Their clients will inevitably have to lose something too, but they should at least receive the bank's assets in return.

You people seem to want to give blame to governments but it is actually the incredibly sick financial world that is the root of most of these problems.

This "sick financial world" only exists mainly due to central bank's monopoly on money supply. Add to that also all the regulation they impose, creating insurmountable barriers of entry in the banking business.

Was it governments that decided to mix sub-prime morgages into cool looking but seemingly unrelated constructs?
Was it governments that were wallowing for years in profits from these derivatives?

It seems you post in these boards much more than you read and learn from them.

All these financial instruments, all these high profits, were only possible due the artificial creation of credit through money supply inflation. Please, study how business cycles are formed.

The government is there to produce something: an environment of law and order, which in turn fosters greater economic activity. People can spend more time doing useful things because we do not have to be constantly looking over our shoulders and fighting off robbers. Or, at least, that is how it should work (but governments are bloated and irresposibly trying to do more than they should and we need to cut back their powers to a great degree).
This is the root of all the madness in the world.

First you propose a theory (government produces and environment of law and order), then you immediately note the empirical evidence is the exact opposite of what your theory predicts, and instead of abandoning your theory as obviously flawed, you determine that reality is flawed instead.
This is how most sane people operate. They decide what they would like things to be like, then they check if that's the case. If not, they act to try to correct the things to their liking. In the example above, Peter Lambert noted that he saw a problem with how governments operate, and proposed a cure (not specific, though).
That's only sanity if you define "sane as "doing the same thing again and expecting a different result."

Bravo, jususranvier.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mobodick

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 12:09:39 PM

It seems you post in these boards much more than you read and learn from them.

All these financial instruments, all these high profits, were only possible due the artificial creation of credit through money supply inflation. Please, study how business cycles are formed.

I don't know, i don't see a lot of berries in the real world.
One main difference between berries and our current world economy is that we value information.
Information is pretty renewable so you don't need to wait for the berries to grow.
An information economy completely destroys the berry example as knowledge does not become consumed and yet is tradeable.

So there is a lot of 'stuff' in our economy that cannot be consumed away and yet requires money to be traded.
We need new financial room to exchange ideas because we value ideas in terms of money.
In essence, you need to redistribute your berries so that these new informational goods also are covered.
You have two options. Either you take a certain percentage of everyones berries and allocate it to the new dynamics in your economy, or you bring more berreis into circulation that you allocate to the new dynamic.

Our economy is at this time so very much more complex than your berry example that there is just no way you can start to compare the two. You cannot have the ammount of economical interactions without an abstracted buffer (we call it credit).

What if crusoe didn't just have a berry bush but also a cage with writers? Painters? Software architects?
Would he even be able to count his berries without also feeding his mathematicians? Who would have taught him to count if there were no mathematicians (that need a daily dose of berries) that devoted their lifes to discovering the magic of numbers?

So to facilitate all these processes you need to pump money through the veins of society. You need to redistribute your berries so you can reap the benefits of the mathematician helping you lose less berreis due to inefficiency. In the end you gain berries because you can use them more efficently.
And you get most of it back through stuff like taxes. You can issue 100 berry credits to the mathematician and you know he will consume only 10 real berries. The mathematician will use 90 berries to distribute his latest ideas (this is a requirement of you to give him the berries) and everyone who consumes berries in this society will be able to save 5% of their berries due to more efficient processing. You then ask for 85 berries back from the mathematician (in taxes or as payback on a loan) and altho you lost 5 berries your whole economy just got upgraded and you have to produce 5% less berries (or enoy them for 5 more percent) to feed this system. To get this 5% saving you will need to have 100 berries. But since you don't, and you never plan on actually consuming them, they can be replaced by tokenberries.
So you invent tokenberries.
By inventing tokenberries you have made your long term real-berry expenses less by 5%!

So there are actual real reasons why we have these credit systems.

But we agree that they are sick at the moment.
I think that is entirely due to human greed.
There is no situation thinkable (with or without credit) where a more powerfull group will not try to somehow abuse a less powerfull group. This has absolutely nothing to do with credit or governments. It has to do with how our brains operate.
In any situation, in any system there will be people driven to have it better than others.
Any system you can think of can and will be abused, be it social, financial or technological.

The financial instruments are not the problem, the way they are used by fellow humans is the actual problem.
Untill we can find a way to properly control the entities that create the life around us we have no hope of changing this as we will be exchanging one 'evil' for another, but random, new soon to be evil.
No ammount of discussion about the pro's and cons of credit will change our human nature.

bubblesort

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

Lex Ad Impios

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 01:45:18 PM

It's looking like absolute bedlam over in Cyprus.  Here's a quote from the Telegraph's live blog:

12.49 Our foreign correspondent Colin Freeman is in Nicosia. He's seeing long queues at bank ATMs today, fuelled by rumours that Laiki Bank - aka the Cyprus Popular Bank - will close. A local garage-owner told him they are no longer accepting cheques from Laiki.
Queuers have told him the amount they can withdraw has fallen from €700 to €400.

There is no way Cyprus will stay in the EU after this.  If I was over there I would be standing at ATMs and banks handing out pamphlets with bitcoin info on them and offering to sell bitcoins to people by putting my email address and QR code on the pamphlets.  Of course, I would cash any Euros I got into BTC immediately to avoid the EU risk.

takinbo

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 02:40:41 PM

If I was over there I would be standing at ATMs and banks handing out pamphlets with bitcoin info on them and offering to sell bitcoins to people by putting my email address and QR code on the pamphlets.  Of course, I would cash any Euros I got into BTC immediately to avoid the EU risk.
Looks like most people will be playing hot potato with the euro now. I wonder who's gonna end up having all these euros if people start converting them to other assets.
Peter Lambert

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 04:37:35 PM

Quote from: me
Just to nitpick a bit (fair notice, I am a minarchish libertarian) The government is there to produce something: an environment of law and order, which in turn fosters greater economic activity. People can spend more time doing useful things because we do not have to be constantly looking over our shoulders and fighting off robbers. Or, at least, that is how it should work (but governments are bloated and irresposibly trying to do more than they should and we need to cut back their powers to a great degree).

What happens when it's your government that is the robber?

I don't see why anyone would leave money in a bank after this. Let the mattress stuffing begin...

If it is your government doing the robbing, then it is time to expunge the criminals and start over again.

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
meowmeowbrowncow

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 05:54:24 PM

Quote from: me
Just to nitpick a bit (fair notice, I am a minarchish libertarian) The government is there to produce something: an environment of law and order, which in turn fosters greater economic activity. People can spend more time doing useful things because we do not have to be constantly looking over our shoulders and fighting off robbers. Or, at least, that is how it should work (but governments are bloated and irresposibly trying to do more than they should and we need to cut back their powers to a great degree).

I don't see why anyone would leave money in a bank after this. Let the mattress stuffing begin...

If it is your government doing the robbing, then it is time to expunge exterminate the criminals and start over again.

Expunge gives a meaning of absolution - to remove from record.

"Bitcoin has been an amazing ride, but the most fascinating part to me is the seemingly universal tendency of libertarians to immediately become authoritarians the very moment they are given any measure of power to silence the dissent of others."  - The Bible
Peter Lambert

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 06:35:14 PM

Quote from: Peter Lambert

If it is your government doing the robbing, then it is time to expunge exterminate the criminals and start over again.

Expunge, exterminate, expel, remove, throw out, eliminate, displace, unseat, defeat, disarm, whatever you want to call removing them from power.

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
bubblesort

Lex Ad Impios

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 11:02:55 PM

Are you part Dailek or something?  LOL

bubblesort

Lex Ad Impios

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 01:28:21 AM

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/22/business/global/eurogroup-chief-takes-some-blame-for-cyprus-crisis.html?_r=0

“Whether we are incompetent or not, I’ll leave up to you to judge.”
~Jeroen Dijsselbloem, Dutch finance minister who announced the plan to steal money from depositors on Cyprus~

zeroday (OP)
Donator

Activity: 784

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 03:03:55 AM

Finance ministers for the 17 eurozone countries on Thursday night considered the proposals to restructure and freeze all assets held in the Popular Bank, known in Greek as Laiki, and the Bank of Cyprus.
>SOURCE: telegraph.co.uk<

Now they decided to rob one of biggest bank in Cyprus. This means that from now our assets can only be safe in our home safe.
Vladimir

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 03:05:40 AM

What? Have those EUbitches went suicidal now?

-
Monster Tent

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 03:18:11 AM

Corrupt politicians should get the death penalty.

Vladimir

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 03:22:58 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=156288.msg1656295#msg1656295

-
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 07:48:16 AM

What? Have those EUbitches went suicidal now?

Literally, I'd say. I mean, if it's really true that the Russian mob has stashes of money on Cypriot banks..... I don't think it's a safe thing to take 40% of their money like this.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 07:54:53 AM

if it's really true that the Russian mob has stashes of money on Cypriot banks..... I don't think it's a safe thing to take 40% of their money like this.
Do your prefer your poisioning by high-speed lead or polonium?
mobodick

Activity: 840

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 01:29:08 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/22/business/global/eurogroup-chief-takes-some-blame-for-cyprus-crisis.html?_r=0

“Whether we are incompetent or not, I’ll leave up to you to judge.”
~Jeroen Dijsselbloem, Dutch finance minister who announced the plan to steal money from depositors on Cyprus~

Incompetent retarded thief. He already stole a bank in Holland (SNS) from its shareholders. I would not trust this guy with a nickle.
And good riddance!
SNS was a hotpot of dodgy deals.
At least this deal secured the deposits.
Meanwhile you can say that it is the shareholders fault that they let their bank take such risks.
All i see is big crocodile tears (  Tongue ).
Or do you think that shareholders should be shielded from risk by using the deposits of the customers?
If there is anyone incompetent and retarded its the management and shareholders of SNS/Real.
But in all fairness, retardness and incompetance are common in humans exposed to lots of money and power so it kindof figures.
zeroday (OP)
Donator

Activity: 784

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 04:57:58 PM

Eurozone finance ministers are going to rob people twice. First, they will steal 40% of amounts by selling the bank with discount. Then, they will tax it with 9.36% levy and freeze remaining money for several years.
This affects all small and medium businesses who have current accounts with over 100k. Most of them will go bankrupt and fire they workers. Thousands of people will become jobless.

Laiki Bank - the island's second largest lender - is wound down. Depositors' first €100,000 are hived into the Bank of Cyprus. Everything else is put into a bad bank, and sold off, likely at a 20pc to 40pc discount. Since a wind-down of Laiki means it will not need recapitalised, this part of the plan takes care of the first €2.3bn of the €5.8bn that Cyprus must raise to qualify for its €10bn troika bailout.

So where to get the remaining €3.5bn? Since the troika royally rejected the idea of a 'solidarity fund', largely over objections to nationalising some pension funds, the bank levy is thought to be back on the table. According to information on the spread of deposits (see table in 12.47), a 9.46pc levy - lower than the 9.9pc proposed in the Eurogroup's original plan - on deposits over €100,000 would do the trick.

Under such an arrangement, the biggest losers would be those with deposits over €100,000 in Laiki Bank, who could be charged a 9.46pc levy and have any deposit over €100,000 swallowed into the 'bad bank' and sold off at a discount, losing as much as 40pc of its value. As Open Europe argued earlier (13.27), they could, in effect, be hit twice.
SOURCE: telegraph.co.uk
bubblesort

Lex Ad Impios

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 05:13:32 PM

The bank deposit levy is still on the table and they are set to release a new agreement very soon and vote on it tonight.  This isn't an abstract financial issue with high power money shifting between crooked bean counters any more.  This is a military situation.  I don't think the Cypriots will let any of those elected officials live if they levy their bank accounts.  They're dealing with more than a few riots like in Greece here, they are risking revolution.  This is the kind of 'tax' that started the American revolution.

Is Merkel really ready to send troops to protect her corrupt banker buddies?  I wonder if Russia would send troops to counter that, seeing as how they probably don't like Cyprus being in the EU any more than the Cypriots.  If this really blows up it might turn into a proxy war.

I'm following the live blog on the guardian here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2013/mar/22/eurozone-crisis-cyprus-bailout-russia-vote

JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2013, 05:38:44 PM

This is the kind of 'tax' that started the American revolution.
The Cypriots were cool with bailing out the banks of Greece, Ireland, Romania, Hungary, and Portugal. Surely they won't revolt over being asked to bail out their own banks.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 07:56:53 PM

This is the kind of 'tax' that started the American revolution.

I'd argue, as you suggest, that this isn't even a tax.  It's just a robbery.  At least in theory, a tax is something proposed in a legislature and with some advance warning, so that the voters can get input (or throw the bums out of office).

The advance warning allows rational actors to modify their behavior to reduce (or in some cases eliminate) their tax burden.  In this case, people would have chosen either not to deposit their money in these banks or to deposit it elsewhere (or move to Bitcoin).

This is more of a naked robbery than a tax.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: