Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 06:15:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to buy Tether USD?  (Read 64574 times)
btcunbranded

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 05:43:19 PM

The way i understood it, tether is on poloniex and only meant for short term, as risk if exchange goes down.
27aume

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

Hi, i'm a pationed about cryptos and their symbol.

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2017, 05:27:24 PM
Last edit: August 16, 2017, 04:02:30 PM by 27aume

Cry
I think that the link and info that is missing here is:

1. Yes USDT is a "blockchain dollars"
2. You can buy from the official site after verification and everything (already mentioned up top)
3. DONT MISTAKE US and USDT
4. this option isnt valide any more (BTC-E have big issue)

that what my research taught me! Smiley
ximply

Activity: 350
Merit: 170

I do crypto TRADING

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2017, 09:34:16 AM

any update on this tether? i can still see this at bittrex and i think this is still working. in a tether wallet, can we hold the private key as well?
Millionero

Activity: 807
Merit: 423

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 12:32:42 AM

On most exchanges, usdt isn't the same as usd.  There's a usd/usdt trading pair on poloniex, bittrex, kraken and maybe some others.  The exchange rate is close to 1:1, but not exactly, and of course you have to deal with trading fees.
There is one exchange where usdt and usd are totally equivalent:  Bitfinex.  If you deposit usdt, the full amount shows up as dollars.  Once upon a time, an American like me could have withdrawn those dollars through a wire transfer.  There are people in Taiwan who can still do that.  By the same token (to coin a phrase), if you have usd on balance at Bitfinex, you can withdraw usdt directly, without having to convert usd to usdt.
This is all because Bitfinex owns tether, the company.  And because Bitfinex is there, with its high liquidity, pegging usdt to usd, the rest of the market follows through arbitrage.  But because usd and usdt and not actually one entity, the rest of the world's exchanges treat them as separate.
And so you have the trading pair usd/usdt, with an exchange rate that stays very close to 1:1.
If anything ever happens to Bitfinex, that goes out the window.  Remain aware that USDT has counterparty risk.  It is fully as vulnerable as Bitfinex itself.
in a tether wallet, can we hold the private key as well?
There are wallets where you can hold tether private keys, but it's significantly more complicated than holding bitcoin.  I sort of looked into it and gave up.  Counterparty risk poses a bigger danger than having your coins stolen from an exchange or web wallet, in my opinion.  Not worth the trouble of wrangling with the complexities of some mastercoin-enabled wallet.
ximply

I do crypto TRADING

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2017, 05:01:17 AM

On most exchanges, usdt isn't the same as usd.  There's a usd/usdt trading pair on poloniex, bittrex, kraken and maybe some others.  The exchange rate is close to 1:1, but not exactly, and of course you have to deal with trading fees.
There is one exchange where usdt and usd are totally equivalent:  Bitfinex.  If you deposit usdt, the full amount shows up as dollars.  Once upon a time, an American like me could have withdrawn those dollars through a wire transfer.  There are people in Taiwan who can still do that.  By the same token (to coin a phrase), if you have usd on balance at Bitfinex, you can withdraw usdt directly, without having to convert usd to usdt.
This is all because Bitfinex owns tether, the company.  And because Bitfinex is there, with its high liquidity, pegging usdt to usd, the rest of the market follows through arbitrage.  But because usd and usdt and not actually one entity, the rest of the world's exchanges treat them as separate.
And so you have the trading pair usd/usdt, with an exchange rate that stays very close to 1:1.
If anything ever happens to Bitfinex, that goes out the window.  Remain aware that USDT has counterparty risk.  It is fully as vulnerable as Bitfinex itself.
in a tether wallet, can we hold the private key as well?
There are wallets where you can hold tether private keys, but it's significantly more complicated than holding bitcoin.  I sort of looked into it and gave up.  Counterparty risk poses a bigger danger than having your coins stolen from an exchange or web wallet, in my opinion.  Not worth the trouble of wrangling with the complexities of some mastercoin-enabled wallet.

Very clear explanation and i got it now.  Maybe one can use it if he wants to have a quick and temporary get out of crypto particularly if everything is going down then when everything subsides then he can back again by buying bitcoin using usdt. but the risk is still there for anything can happen like it bitfinex goes down then everything you got also disappear instantly
elektibi75

Activity: 326
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 04:38:26 PM

If you are on Bittrex, then simply go here and buy USDT with you BTC
https://bittrex.com/Market/Index?MarketName=USDT-BTC

█ DARFChain █ DARFChain - smart escrow engine, based on proof-of-accounting consensus █....
▞▬▬▬▞▬▬▬▞▬▬▬▞▬▬▬▞▬▬▬▞▬▬▬▚▬▬▬▚▬▬▬▚▬▬▬▚▬▬▬▚▬▬▬▚
• Whitepaper • ANN Thread • Telegram • Facebook • Reddit • Slack • YouTube • VK
MuyAmable

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 18, 2017, 03:40:15 AM

What is more secure: USDT or keeping USD on an exchange like GDAX or Bittrex?
jezus

Activity: 560
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 18, 2017, 03:43:22 AM

What is the blockchain?

█████████████████████████████████████████
██                                     ██
██ █████████████▄ ▀███████████████████ ██
██ ██          ▀██▄ ▀██▄            ██ ██
██ ██            ▀██▄ ▀██▄          ██ ██
██ ██              ▀██▄ ▀██▄        ██ ██
██ ██                ▀██▄ ▀██▄  ▄▄████ ██
██ ██                  ▀██▄ ▀████▀▀    ██
██ ██                    ▀██▄ ▀▀ ▄████ ██
██ ██▄                     ▀██  ██  ██ ██
██ █████▄                 ▄▄██  ██  ██ ██
██     ▀███▄        ▄▄██████▀ ▄▄ ▀████ ██
██ ████▄ ▀▀██ ▄▄██████▀▀ ▄▄▄▄████▄▄    ██
██ ██  ██  ▀███▀▀▀ ▄▄▄▄██▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀████ ██
██ ██  ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄██▀▀▀▀▀█▄           ██ ██
██ ████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▄███▄ ▀▄          ██ ██
██   ▄▄▄██▀▀▀▀▀█ ██   ██ █▄         ██ ██
██ ██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█ ███████ █████████████ ██
██                                     ██
█████████████████████████████████████████
LASER ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
BLOCKCHAIN WITHOUT BORDERS

A BLOCKCHAIN-AGNOSTIC SERVICE LAYER
FOR IMPROVED SPEED, ANONYMITY, AND INTEROPERABILITY
[]
evobtc

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 18, 2017, 11:37:26 AM

Few questions :
Who manages Tether's capitalization ?
Is there any proof that they actually own the fiat ?
gusgusest

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 19, 2017, 03:55:51 AM

I heard there are some issues around tether being actually interchangeable with dollars. Something up with the TOC as referred to by Sirer.

CHANGE—First Global Crypto Bank | ICO |Discussion
ximply

I do crypto TRADING

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2017, 04:21:17 AM

I heard there are some issues around tether being actually interchangeable with dollars. Something up with the TOC as referred to by Sirer.

just use it for keeping out of bitcoin whenever you see it fit. then use it again to go back to bitcoin when you see a good entry point. if you want USD then go to an exchange that support USD and not USDT.
Millionero

View Profile
August 19, 2017, 02:27:30 PM

Bittrex supports only USDT, you cannot keep dollars there.
Some exchanges that do support dollars and withdrawals to your bank account are GDAX, Bitstamp, Kraken
Bitfinex also supports dollars, but you can't withdraw to your bank account.  What you can do is withdraw the dollars as tethers.  Whether you can use those tethers for anything is another question.
As I stated in an earlier post, Bitfinex is different from other exchanges; on Bitfinex, USD and USDT are equivalent.  Whereas other exchanges have a trading pair for USD and USDT, Bitfinex makes no distinction between US Dollars and USD Tethers.  Which means that if you have USD on Bitfinex, you can withdraw the same amount of USDT without having to make a trade to convert your USD to USDT.
That is because Bitfinex owns Tether.
What is the blockchain?
I'm not sure what you mean.   If you're asking what is the tether blockchain, tethers are recorded on the bitcoin blockchain as "colored" coins.
ximply

I do crypto TRADING

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2017, 03:28:57 PM

Some exchanges that do support dollars and withdrawals to your bank account are GDAX, Bitstamp, Kraken
Bitfinex also supports dollars, but you can't withdraw to your bank account.  What you can do is withdraw the dollars as tethers.  Whether you can use those tethers for anything is another question.
As I stated in an earlier post, Bitfinex is different from other exchanges; on Bitfinex, USD and USDT are equivalent.  Whereas other exchanges have a trading pair for USD and USDT, Bitfinex makes no distinction between US Dollars and USD Tethers.  Which means that if you have USD on Bitfinex, you can withdraw the same amount of USDT without having to make a trade to convert your USD to USDT.
What is the blockchain?
I'm not sure what you mean.   If you're asking what is the tether blockchain, tethers are recorded on the bitcoin blockchain as "colored" coins.

does tether have its own wallet that you can store it?
r0ach
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 19, 2017, 03:32:39 PM

I use USDT as a hedge against a drop in bitcoin. When I feel like bitcoin runs up too fast I usually convert to USDT and sit on the sidelines for a retracement then jump back in. It is a lot more convenient than converting to cash and dealing with that hassle.

......ATLANT......
..Real Estate Blockchain Platform..
                    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                    ████████████░
                  ▄██████████████░
                 ▒███████▄████████░
                ▒█████████░████████░
                ▀███████▀█████████
                  ██████████████
           ███████▐██▀████▐██▄████████░
          ▄████▄█████████▒████▌█████████░
         ███████▄█████████▀██████████████░
        █████████▌█████████▐█████▄████████░
        ▀█████████████████▐███████████████
          █████▀████████ ░███████████████
    ██████▐██████████▄████████████████████████░
  ▄████▄████████▐███████████████░▄▄▄▄░████████░
 ▄██████▄█████████▐█████▄█████████▀████▄█████████░
███████████████████▐█████▄█████████▐██████████████░
▀████████▀█████████▒██████████████▐█████▀█████████
  ████████████████ █████▀█████████████████████████
   ▀██▀██████████ ▐█████████████  ▀██▀██████████
    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀██████████

..INVEST  ●  RENT  ●  TRADE..
 ✓Assurance     ✓Price Discovery     ✓Liquidity     ✓Low Fees

███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

◣Whitepaper ◣ANN ThreadTelegram
◣ Facebook     ◣ Reddit          ◣ Slack

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███

Hero/Legendary members
Millionero

View Profile
August 19, 2017, 06:18:54 PM

What is the blockchain?

tether's website is tether.to
where you'll find a web wallet you can send tethers to.  Supposedly you can withdraw the money to your bank, but I've never done it and I have no idea if it works or not, especially considering that tether's parent company, bitfinex, has lost its banking connections in the U.S.
The omniwallet is an offline wallet, but again, I have never used it.  I encourage anyone who's interested to explore it.  Just now I tried to go to omniwallet.org, but the site is down.
The omni blog is here:  https://blog.omni.foundation/
European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
August 19, 2017, 06:45:41 PM

check this - https://twitter.com/spudowiar/status/896781107756232704

maybe it's just an experiment, but this guy has done another alt for trezor implementation.

why anyone would want to actually store tether when it's worthless is beyond me, but whatever.
Tradegroup

Activity: 144

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 11:18:18 PM

If you have USDT, you can change it for dollar at Kraken, from there you can send it to your bank.
Samarkand

Activity: 658
Merit: 282

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 10:30:06 AM

If you have USDT, you can change it for dollar at Kraken, from there you can send it to your bank.

The Tether trading volume at Kraken is completely dismal. You will have a really hard time selling
any non-miniscule amount of USDT. You are better of buying a liquid cryptocurrency with your Tether
(e.g. BTC, LTC, ETH) and sell it at an exchange afterwards.

European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 10:37:50 AM

Who in their right mind would actually give away a real dollar for tether?

That's probably why kraken volume is so low.
newfulluser

Activity: 267

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 01:37:27 PM

Why would you want to buy tether??
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: