Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 03:51:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Weird question: Can you send bitcoins to somebody with a HAM radio?  (Read 2695 times)
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 04:22:31 AM

Back in the days, in some country in Europe, some would use a radio station to send small apps in BASIC language. You would tape the high pitched noise then play it back to your machine (Amstrad CPC most likely).

The point: from a paper wallet, to a radio signal, to a recorder, then back to paper wallet/online wallet at the other end. The signal would be coded, then decoded.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2013, 04:26:39 AM

Someone was looking into using audio cables to hook offline cold-wallet machines for similar transfers so if they found that to work HAM might too, sure.

And if they found it not to work, maybe they just didn't apply the full panoply of signal from noise tools to the job that folk using radio might or could.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 04:32:50 AM

Found it.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2012/08/experiments-in-airborne-basic-buzzing-computer-code-over-fm-radio/

Seinäjoki, Finland was a tough place to be a budding geek back in 1985. Just ask Eero Tunkelo, a grade school student with a doctor for a father, a mother who taught sewing and textile design, and a newfound love for computers and programming.

"Computers were new, so anything you did, it was—wow!" he told me during a recent phone call. Such was Tunkelo's passion for the technology that he spent an entire summer working so that he could purchase his own Commodore VIC-20—an early home-oriented machine that ran Commodore BASIC 2.0 and predated the more advanced Commodore 64.

With his VIC-20, Tunkelo taught himself BASIC, then studied assembly language. He wrote programs that ran "straight to the metal," as he put it, but also came from the heart. One included graphics that celebrated his sister's high school graduation. But the young innovator felt isolated. "Computers were not as popular as they are now," Tunkelo said, and few schools had one.

Then came a remarkable radio show that changed the landscape for him and a generation of Finnish technology lovers—a show that literally broadcast code over the airwaves.
kakobrekla

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

Psi laju, karavani prolaze.

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 04:35:54 AM

Was a common practice here as well, games over FM radio. But anyway, you can whistle Bitcoins around if you want.

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 04:42:24 AM

hmm.. It would be easier with a Cap'n Crunch whistle maybe?  Grin
BTC Books

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 04:59:06 AM

hmm.. It would be easier with a Cap'n Crunch whistle maybe?  Grin

I still have mine.

Dankedan: price seems low, time to sell I think...
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 05:16:07 AM

I bet MoonShadow will drop by to tell you he already thought about that Grin
You should do a search on his threads, I remeber one talking about this subject.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3208

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 05:35:17 AM
Last edit: March 17, 2013, 06:04:37 AM by odolvlobo

Back in the days, in some country in Europe, some would use a radio station to send small apps in BASIC language. You would tape the high pitched noise then play it back to your machine (Amstrad CPC most likely).
The point: from a paper wallet, to a radio signal, to a recorder, then back to paper wallet/online wallet at the other end. The signal would be coded, then decoded.

The misconception here is that when you send bitcoins to someone, your wallet talks to their wallet. That is false.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
ralree

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Manateeeeeeees

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 05:47:30 AM

This came up a while back.  It inspired me to use vanitygen to create a BTC address with my callsign in the front.  If your callsign was KB2XMA, you could get one that started with 1KB2XMA and just let people know you accept bitcoin as payment on the radio.

1MANaTeEZoH4YkgMYz61E5y4s9BYhAuUjG
Luno

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 06:01:49 AM
Last edit: March 17, 2013, 06:29:32 AM by Luno

PSY is right. This was discussed a while back:

To setup a ham radio packet station you need what's called a TNC:

Most of them come in solder kit form.

Plenty of HAM's operate VHF to ISP gateways and VHF relay stations so in reality, you are always able to get on-line with such a setup.

TNC's was invented in the early 1980'ies so HAM's could send Fascimiles to each other.

And the OP's annecdote about software over FM: There was a good weekly Dutch computer radio show where I sat with my tape recorder ready to push record when they broardcasted the modem audio, so I could get games free over the air!!! However there was often some Basic code parts missing because of static, so one would have to fill in the blanks, which was good for keeping your Basic programming skills up to date.

People simply mailed audio cassettes in to the radio show with small programs and games they had made or typed in from Basic gaming magazines. (So yes, mass file sharing existed before the internet)

Must have been between 1981-1983. It felt as cutting edge then as Bitcoin does now.
WinVery.com

Activity: 235
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 07:39:08 AM

Fascinating concept
mufa23
Legendary

Activity: 1022

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 08:15:48 AM

Out of curiosity, what is the estimated/average bandwidth one could expect from such a device. This is an awesome concept!

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
QuantumQrack

Activity: 337
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 01:24:56 PM

This is awesome.  Anybody out there want to try to experiment and see if it works?  I am willing to build one and run it.
01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 01:36:42 PM

1200 bps AFSK node controllers on 2 meters (144-148MHz) are the most commonly found packet radio. For 1200/2400 bps UHF/VHF packet radio, amateurs use commonly available narrow band FM voice radios. For HF packet, 300 bps data is used over single side band (SSB) modulation. For high speed packet (9600 bps upwards), special radios or modified FM radios must be used.

Custom modems have been developed which allow throughput rates of 19.2 kbit/s, 56 kbit/s, and even 1.2 Mbit/s over amateur radio links on FCC permitted frequencies of 440 MHz and above. However, special radio equipment is needed to carry data at these speeds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packet_radio
misterbigg
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 02:39:10 PM

Absolutely. To send a bitcoin with a HAM radio, first transfer the bitcoins into a new address. Write or print the private key. Now put the HAM radio along with the paper containing the private key into a cardboard box, seal the box, and send the package to the recipient in the mail.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 02:41:41 PM

There have even been investment projects proposed around this concept for bitcoin.
whitenight639

Activity: 154

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 11:48:01 PM

So is it possible to encrypt HAM radio broadcasts sop that sending bitcoin private keys would not be picked up by others?

The whole packet radio is fascinating, I wonder if it had been adopted more if we wouldn't be have to rely on ISP's and if the internet would be a more decentralised p2p infrastructure.

125uWc197UW5kM659m4uwEakxoNHzMKzwz
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 12:03:32 AM

Why don't you send the transaction?

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 12:19:55 AM

Grin Grin Cheesy Grin

I am very glad my little "delirium question" does create some conversation.

Keep in mind that every time we (humans) believe something is impossible, Nature reminds us who's really in charge. I am not a HAM radio amateur but yes, if there is something that keeps us from paying our internet connection I believe a true backup (maybe slow and using "old" tech) should be available, as long as some can still have access to power one way or the other and maintain it.

There was this whole discussion about opening some of the frequencies back to the public (because TV stations here in the US switched to digital TV) a while back. Not really sure what happened but all of the big US telecom wanted a bite of it because of high speed internet.

If you have a powerful enough amp you can pick up and/or send messages from and to anywhere in the world and we are not talking about sending Hi Def youtube videos.
whitenight639

Activity: 154

View Profile
March 18, 2013, 12:52:45 AM

Grin Grin Cheesy Grin

I am very glad my little "delirium question" does create some conversation.

Keep in mind that every time we (humans) believe something is impossible, Nature reminds us who's really in charge. I am not a HAM radio amateur but yes, if there is something that keeps us from paying our internet connection I believe a true backup (maybe slow and using "old" tech) should be available, as long as some can still have access to power one way or the other and maintain it.

There was this whole discussion about opening some of the frequencies back to the public (because TV stations here in the US switched to digital TV) a while back. Not really sure what happened but all of the big US telecom wanted a bite of it because of high speed internet.

If you have a powerful enough amp you can pick up and/or send messages from and to anywhere in the world and we are not talking about sending Hi Def youtube videos.

Is it because of the frequency used that prevents faster bandwidth then? Obviously the different frequencies have different realistic broadcast ranges, but as the internet relies on a packet switched network you would not need a broadcast range of over a few miles because others would relay your traffic like IP routers do. Satalite/ Mobile phone /TV broadcasts have a better bandwidth. If every nerd in every country had a device that can send / receive IP over HAM or some better frequency we would not need ISPs and the internet would be very resilient against government intervention.

125uWc197UW5kM659m4uwEakxoNHzMKzwz
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: