Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:24:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is the Bitcoin network Slow today? Please Help!  (Read 2670 times)
DonnyCMU (OP)

Activity: 143
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 01:18:55 AM
Last edit: June 12, 2011, 01:36:53 AM by DonnyCMU

I just found that my client program won't open.  (EXCEPTION: NSt8ios_base7failureE - apparently the blkindex, blk001.dat is too big)
So I deleted other files and keep just the wallet.

When I install and other them again, all my transactions is there, but all unconfirmed, and I'm left with 0 coins. (This would be enough to freak noobs out)

I figure the network have to reconfirmed all transactions (which I have only 7)

So I've waited. I looked in resource monitor and it says bitcoin.exe is always transmitting like 5 kb/s. The program said it has like 70,000 blocks.   BUT it has been HOURS now like this. Is it normal to wait this long?

Needing the coins now, so I open a new wallet in another PC. Then, I withdraw some coins from both Tradehill and Mt.Gox to this new address (about 10btc each). Both sites said the coins has been transmitted. However, almost an hour later and Nothing show up on my new wallet. Is it normal to wait this long??  (the new wallet said it has 105k blocks)

This wouldn't be so much problem if I don't have a paid buyer waiting for me to give him Bitcoins! He's killing me right now! And I understand that he's pissed because what he bought just has its value decreased by half!

--------------
Edit:
Please see offer below...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DonnyCMU (OP)

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 01:37:06 AM
Last edit: June 12, 2011, 03:29:53 AM by DonnyCMU

Ok. I gotta do something.. ATTENTION: Any one willing to help me, I'll send you Mt.Gox Dollars for the equivalent of 5 btc + 5% premium! After you received it, please use your wallet to transfer 5 btc from you to my buyer for me! (It would be great to add .01 btc for speedy transfer).   (Mt.Gox Dolla transfer between person is instant, right? never try it)

So basically, I'm buying 5 btcs from you with Mt.Gox $ at Mt.Gox market rate + 5%.  Obviously, you have to be a reputable member in this board because I'll be sending first.  Alright?

Please help!

Edit:
After about 4 hours, the withdrawal from Tradehill finally arrived. So my problem solved. Thanks everyone!
DonnyCMU (OP)

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 01:55:09 AM

Anyone? I'll pay with Mt.Gox $ or Dwolla or whatever! Please help!

Also, so is it normal to wait hours for btc withdrawal from Mt.gox or Tradehill to show up?
elggawf

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 02:16:09 AM

If you don't have ~130185 blocks in your client, it's not caught up with the swarm yet, and still syncing.

^_^
DonnyCMU (OP)

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 02:27:30 AM

It has been syncing for 3.5 hours...   T^T

And my buyer is e-mailing me about it every 2 hours.
elggawf

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 02:29:10 AM

Search your address on block explorer. If the transactions are in a block, count how many blocks away from the current block it is and if you've got enough confirmations, I think you can safely give the buyer whatever you sold them and wait for your client to sync up later?

^_^
trentzb

Activity: 406
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 02:35:16 AM

Good try DonnyCMU. Ignore this scammer.
DonnyCMU (OP)

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 02:50:48 AM
Last edit: June 12, 2011, 03:12:26 AM by DonnyCMU

What the hell??? I'm initiating the payment, and Mt.Gox transfer can't be reversed! (... right?)
It's not like I'm asking with paypal or something. Plus.. it's only for 5 bitcoins.. (that's $60 in today's rate, sadly)
I'm having a real problem here!

Edit: For some reason, I can't send PMs now.. I hope it's not because of you clicking report to admin on me!
DonnyCMU (OP)

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 02:52:35 AM

Search your address on block explorer. If the transactions are in a block, count how many blocks away from the current block it is and if you've got enough confirmations, I think you can safely give the buyer whatever you sold them and wait for your client to sync up later?

Thx. It's close.. but increasing so slow..   and ... Wait... so... I can transmit some BTCs first without having that confirmed amount in my wallet? (like sending money I don't have?)
Quantumplation

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 03:00:21 AM

Thx. It's close.. but increasing so slow..   and ... Wait... so... I can transmit some BTCs first without having that confirmed amount in my wallet? (like sending money I don't have?)

You don't actually have to confirm them at this point, because the coins, in the abstract sense, are there, your client just has to process the block-chain to realize it.  You can try downloading the block chain from someone who already has it through a more direct route (HTTP, FTP, etc), it might be faster.  I might be able to provide a mirror for you if you want.  Just be patient.  While bitcoin is in it's infancy, the client wasn't written for every day use.  It's still not even version 1.0 yet.  In the future, there are various solutions that have been discussed before that will allow pure "thin" clients that rely on a smaller block-chain in exchange for a higher amount of "trust".

NOTE: This account was compromised from 2017 to 2021.  I'm in the process of deleting posts not made by me.
trentzb

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 03:06:15 AM

Needing the coins now, so I open a new wallet in another PC. Then, I withdraw some coins from both Tradehill and Mt.Gox to this new address (about 10btc each). Both sites said the coins has been transmitted. However, almost an hour later and Nothing show up on my new wallet. Is it normal to wait this long??  (the new wallet said it has 105k blocks)

This wouldn't be so much problem if I don't have a paid buyer waiting for me to give him Bitcoins! He's killing me right now! And I understand that he's pissed because what he bought just has its value decreased by half!

If you have coins in MtGox/TradeHill and can withdraw them to your new wallet in another PC as you state you did you can send them from MtGox/TradeHill to your buyer who is waiting for you. You are trying to scam someone into making a BTC payment on your behalf to your buyer...who most likely is none other than yourself.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 03:08:28 AM

What the hell??? I'm initiating the payment, and Mt.Gox transfer can't be reversed (... right?)

I too wondering why you don't just buy bitcoins using those Mt. Gox USD and send the bitcoins yourself.  It'll cost you less than 5%.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 03:10:31 AM

I don't see how he could scam someone if he's paying mtgox USD upfront

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 03:12:35 AM

I'm glad it's the currency of the future for I love waiting inordinate amounts of time for blocks to sync and for transactions to be verified!!!

Getting started using the bitcoin client does take some time.  Perhaps an eWallet such as MyBitcoin.com would be a little more convenient for you?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

DonnyCMU (OP)

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 03:23:15 AM

My block count finally reached 130k and I finally received the withdrawal! It finally showed up! Cheesy
Thank you very much everyone for your advice! I learned many things about blocks today.
trentzb

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 03:27:41 AM

I still suspect something funny going on here. If you needed to send BTC to your buyer all you had to do was withdraw from MtGox/TradeHill to your buyer's BTC address, problem solved. You do not need to withdraw from the exchanges to your own wallet then send to your buyer, that is silliness.
Quantumplation

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 03:39:55 AM

Sure thing!  If you want a clearer explanation, send me a private message.  And don't mind everyone else, they're just super apprehensive because we've been hit by the Trollpocalypse and a slightly tumultuous market.  Granted, I won't begrudge a man his caution...

NOTE: This account was compromised from 2017 to 2021.  I'm in the process of deleting posts not made by me.
DonnyCMU (OP)

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 03:53:52 AM
Last edit: June 12, 2011, 04:27:40 AM by DonnyCMU

I still suspect something funny going on here. If you needed to send BTC to your buyer all you had to do was withdraw from MtGox/TradeHill to your buyer's BTC address, problem solved. You do not need to withdraw from the exchanges to your own wallet then send to your buyer, that is silliness.
I too wondering why you don't just buy bitcoins using those Mt. Gox USD and send the bitcoins yourself.  It'll cost you less than 5%.

Because I don't know what on earth went wrong, ok? If I request a withdrawal to me, and 3 hrs later I still see nothing on my screen, how can I be sure that if I do exactly the same thing to my buyer, he WILL get the bitcoins within a reasonable amount if time!

I'm sorry for being a noob, alright? I opened a new wallet in a new PC, so there's not suppose to be any problem. From my viewpoint at that time, anything could be the cause - withdrawal was held up? something wrong with my account? withdrawal slow because of increase in volume? Did the transfer ever even took place? I didn't know anything about blocks/syncing/blockexplorer until now. If I try withdrawing to my buyer anyway, perhaps that withdrawal could be delayed too, and he still would be e-mailing me. And after I finally find some other method to pay him, perhaps that withdrawal could show up later tonight. Then, I would be double-paying him.

Also, Tradehill said you will receive your withdrawal within 12 hours, so I couldn't risk that.

But even if I'm a noob, I know that I can't scam anyone if I send a non-reversible payment upfront!

I don't see how he could scam someone if he's paying mtgox USD upfront
Thank you!

PS. To anyone that press reporting on me, so now that can't post in any thread other than this one, it would be GREAT if you would undo that action somehow.
trentzb

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 06:34:53 AM

If you truly did not understand that you could send your MtGox/TH coins directly to your buyer then I genuinely apologize. There is no method that I know of to send MtGox USD to another user (which you indicated you wanted to do) which among other oddities triggered my scam radar. You can of course transfer USD out of MtGox to another exchange.

In attempt to make it up to you I will try to explain why it appeared to you that BTC transfers from MtGox/TH were being delayed for hours when in fact they were not.

When using MtGox/TH and similar BTC exchanges and you initiate a Withdraw/Transfer of BTC in your account to a BTC address (your wallet) the exchange pushes the transaction (tx) onto the network almost instantly. There may be a delay of a couple seconds but probably not much more than that. This does not mean however that it will appear in your wallet in seconds.

The tx that is on the network will not become visible in your wallet until it is included into the block chain and your wallet (Bitcoin client) has the block chain downloaded. The tx will be included in the block chain once a miner on the network solves a block but it isn't always the next block solve that your tx will be included in. Sometimes it takes several solved blocks before your tx is present in the block chain. Until this happens you will not see the balance reflected in your wallet.

Once your Bitcoin client has the entire block chain downloaded and your tx is bundled into a block then and only then would you see the balance reflected in your client. Your client does not know about your tx until it sees it in the downloaded block chain.

Also, if your buyer had a Bitcoin client running and had the entire block chain downloaded you could have simply asked him for a BTC address for you to send coins to and done a 5 BTC Withdraw at MtGox/TH using his BTC address as the destination and he would have seen his 5 BTC show up in his client as soon as the tx was included in a solved block. There is no need to transfer coins from an exchange to your own wallet/client in order to make a payment to your buyer, you can simply make the payment at the exchange to your buyer.

And Quantumplation was correct, I and other folks are apprehensive and cautious lately, likely overly so and I apologize. I have been scammed once on the forums here so I have an instinctual tendency to watch out for scams taking place.

I hope this helped to answer some of your concerns of why it appeared there was a substantial delay in the network processing transactions.
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 06:39:31 AM

Two workarounds for slow bitcoin network:

1) Patience:  Wait a long time, possibly several hours.

2) Try the 0.3.23 release candidate, which attempts to address this problem.

The network has been flooded with new users, many of whom do not support incoming connections.  This causes a problem with the P2P code in versions <= 0.3.22.

If you are brand new to the network, -dnsseed may also help.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: