Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 09:02:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Reponse to Roger Ver's "Time to End the Block-Size Blockade" essay  (Read 1172 times)
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2016, 08:54:11 PM

Bitcoin is dead as we know it if you raise the block size.
Okay, that is definitely a bit hyperbolic to say the least. If the quadratic validation time get fixed (which should happen with Segwit) I can see a future in which a block size increase is definitely possible. Just today we've 'received' two amazing news: Fibre (upgrade to the relay network that builds on compact blocks) and Flare (Bitfury's LN implementation). With the proper infrastructure in place, I do not see a reason for which a HF on which consensus has been reached (with a proper set of rules) should not happen sometime in the future.

The node count as we have it now is low already at around 5000. If you double this, you can expect a lot of the widespread % to decrease. Even if the total node count went up, the system would be more centralized if specialized services for running nodes arise.
It is really unfortunate that, with so many people running around on Reddit and BTCT that we are unable to keep a higher node count. If half of us were to run a single node, the situation would definitely improve.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4172
Merit: 8417

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2016, 09:02:23 PM

It is really unfortunate that, with so many people running around on Reddit and BTCT that we are unable to keep a higher node count. If half of us were to run a single node, the situation would definitely improve.
That would require a lot of people who don't own any Bitcoins to run nodes... Smiley
calkob

Activity: 1092
Merit: 520

View Profile
July 07, 2016, 09:13:55 PM

I just wish we could move on and lets be unified as a bitcoin community Smiley
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
July 07, 2016, 10:11:46 PM

That would require a lot of people who don't own any Bitcoins to run nodes... Smiley

you mean like you, who gets paid in fiat and monero?

anyway..
LOL there are 2 million bitcoin users and 5k-6k nodes..

i really laugh if you think that with 2million users that you are suggesting that the node situation would only improve if there was 2million and one+ nodes..
have you really detached that much from reality.

how about try and get your boss and your best friends to stop with the crap like making fullnodes unable to validate fully due to pruned,no witness modes which your friends keep saying is 'perfectly ok'

if people want to be full nodes you should be telling them the importance of remaining full nodes.. dont advertise pruned/no-witness. and instead leave it for electrum and other liteclient people to advertise those lite features

anyway.. what is your stance on LukeJR's MAX_BLOCK_BASE_SIZE = 2000000;

are you going to be for it. or join in a new REKT campaign to throw him under the bus like you did with hearne and gavin..

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
brg444

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
July 08, 2016, 11:22:57 PM

you mean like you, who gets paid in fiat and monero?

anyway..
LOL there are 2 million bitcoin users and 5k-6k nodes..

Actually there are probably much more

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
Cuidler

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 09, 2016, 07:56:43 AM

However, with Bitcoin, we cannot just ‘add more nodes’ to respond to an increase in demand; as every (full) node must carry the entire burden of the network.

Its not completly true every full node carry the entire burden of the network. At least you can set your full node network and disk usage to your liking. Every node should set its network and disk usage policy individually:

Network usage can be defined by number of connections, and if it is not enought you might choose to accept and relay only blocks and not transactions. On a side note if RBF transactions become popular because of continuously full blocks, the Bitcoin network bandwith usage going to be much higher than any block size increase, the re relay of the same transactions with slighly higher fees can be real burden to Bitcoin network bandwith in future. Obviously here can be a lot to be improved for the client to follow specific user network bandwith policy.

About disk usage, you might run prunned version and still have full validating node. You may choose how much disk space you want to use to archive historic blocks for others to upload, but unless you specially need all historic blocks for yourselves, there is no need for every node to have all historic blocks for the Bitcoin network to function normally.

.Liqui Exchange.Trade and earn 24% / year on BTC, LTC, ETH
....Brand NEW..........................................Payouts every 24h. Learn more at official thread
Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 09, 2016, 08:03:39 AM

I just wish we could move on and lets be unified as a bitcoin community Smiley

We will move on don't worry!
I mean we are moving on since 7 years!
But there will always be people who will see things different and try to change it by manipulation, social engineering and spreading fear.

In terms of Roger Ver I'm extremely disappointed by seeing which path he is going the last 12-18 months.
There was a time I was looking up to that guy.This has totally changed and I can not take him serious anymore.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
July 09, 2016, 09:52:44 AM

i find it very funny that the people with the loudest mouths wanting offchain solutions and locking bitcoins so that people use different networks instead. are in the majority monero fans..

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: