Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 10:18:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: what if Mr. China sells its U$ T-bills ?  (Read 5257 times)
aigeezer
Legendary

Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013

Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 01:27:04 AM

I'm not condoning these monetary policies, they are irresponsible and will hurt future generations but if you think the US will be the first to go, you're badly mistaken.  Japan will likely be first (especially with their demographics), then the Euro nations.

I would guess it will all collapse almost simultaneously, regardless of which is nominally the first. I agree that Japan "should" be first, from their financial and demographic numbers and from Abe's risky disastrous "arrow" policies, not to mention their Fukushima situation, but financial matters are so intertwined now - financial Archduke Ferdinand effect, I imagine.

On the other hand, I've been expecting "it" to blow for many years, and it all keeps lurching on. Faced with that dilemma, Bill Bonner quipped "just because something is inevitable does not mean it is imminent."

Meanwhile, we've got BTC.

In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
artos

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

http://stablecoin.net

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2013, 02:56:19 AM

They won't, their economy relies on the USA's economy too much.

StableCoin Development Fund: shQpTvLDsgCURkfqyBuCjL79aqYwti2FEJ
StableCoin Forums: http://forums.stablecoin.net
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 12:02:56 PM
Last edit: June 07, 2013, 08:05:54 PM by notme

the "nuclear option" :

Mr. China hits the sell button on his US treasury bills

just to find out they are worth zilch  Grin Grin Grin

America has assets. Namely California.

It's funny to think about California as an asset when you consider how far in the hole their state government is.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
weisoq

Activity: 720
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 01:28:50 PM
Last edit: June 07, 2013, 08:21:12 PM by weisoq

China runs a current account surplus (exports capital), the US runs a current account deficit (imports capital). That means china has to recycle its surplus overseas and the US has to fund their deficit from overseas. Only if the US current account deficit declines will net foreign purchases fall, or only if foreign purchases of dollar assets reduce will the US current account deficit decline. These are accounting identities, a current account surplus = net foreign claims = a corresponding current account deficit. i.e. it’s probably a good not a bad thing for the US if china wasn’t buying as many treasuries.
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2013, 08:03:27 PM

the "nuclear option" :

Mr. China hits the sell button on his US treasury bills

just to find out they are worth zilch  Grin Grin Grin

America has assets. Namely California.

It's funny to think about California as an asset when you consider how far in the whole their state government is.

Considering CA.gov has effectively seceded from the union with all its Constitutional violations despite ratifying it... in a better world, all CA.gov land, buildings, and property would be seized and sold at federal auction, and the CA government itself would be imprisoned and/or ejected from the U.S., citizenship revoked.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: