Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 09:31:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Just some questions..  (Read 487 times)
maciak (OP)

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 02:19:58 PM

I have some questions, if anyone answer, I would be happy Smiley

1. Can I get private key from bitcoin-qt? Or if f.e. my computer brokes, can I have backup on USB?
2. How can I use Namecoin wallet? I did not find simple answer.. I tried to use that on dot-bit but it does not work after point 2 Grin
3. Is it so simple to create alternative currency? They are lot of there on the Internet, so it should not be complicated to create own Somethingcoin

Maybe somewhere is answer, but this is more practical way Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ashitaka

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 02:48:20 PM

I have some questions, if anyone answer, I would be happy Smiley

1. Can I get private key from bitcoin-qt? Or if f.e. my computer brokes, can I have backup on USB?
2. How can I use Namecoin wallet? I did not find simple answer.. I tried to use that on dot-bit but it does not work after point 2 Grin
3. Is it so simple to create alternative currency? They are lot of there on the Internet, so it should not be complicated to create own Somethingcoin

Maybe somewhere is answer, but this is more practical way Smiley

I can answer 1 only:
You should backup the wallet.dat file (encrypt it before). Also, heres a way to know the priv key of any address: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1ag8eh/is_it_okay_if_i_do_not_know_my_own_private_key/c8x4ku9
maciak (OP)

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 02:53:16 PM

It worked. Thanks
markqvist

Activity: 12

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 02:56:56 PM

I don't really know about namecoin, haven't looked much into it yet, so can't help you there.

Regarding creating an alternative currency, yes and no. For someone technically proficient it would be pretty easy to fork the bitcoin source, make necessary changes and start a new whatever-coin with a new blockchain. Looking at it that way, creating an alternative currency is easy. But it depends on how you define currency. For most people, I guess a currency will only be a currency when enough people place value in it, to allow trading with a sufficiently large amount of other people. That's the hard part Wink
maciak (OP)

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 03:01:40 PM

I don't really know about namecoin, haven't looked much into it yet, so can't help you there.

Regarding creating an alternative currency, yes and no. For someone technically proficient it would be pretty easy to fork the bitcoin source, make necessary changes and start a new whatever-coin with a new blockchain. Looking at it that way, creating an alternative currency is easy. But it depends on how you define currency. For most people, I guess a currency will only be a currency when enough people place value in it, to allow trading with a sufficiently large amount of other people. That's the hard part Wink
Of course getting value is hard... I just meaned creating new currency without value.
markqvist

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 03:19:26 PM

Yeah, that would be rather simple, at least if you base it on an existing project, such as bitcoin. Although, being a P2P network, you at least need a couple of people online and using it before it makes any sense, value or not Wink
maciak (OP)

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 03:24:26 PM

Yeah, that would be rather simple, at least if you base it on an existing project, such as bitcoin. Although, being a P2P network, you at least need a couple of people online and using it before it makes any sense, value or not Wink
Oh yes. Thanks. So now I only need answer to question 2. If you help, thanks for your answer
markqvist

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 03:45:52 PM

I just read a bit through the dot-bit (namecoin) wiki. It seems that there is no GUI wallet yet, so you will have to use the command line interface, which is not too hard once you get used to it. Basic info here:

http://dot-bit.org/InstallAndConfigureNamecoin
maciak (OP)

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 03:52:38 PM

OK... but where I should unzip it? Because its unziped on my desktop and when I write to cmd namecoind.exe it says that it does not exist.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: