Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 05:50:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: other uses for ASIC hardware?  (Read 2435 times)
Entropize (OP)

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2016, 03:04:27 PM

As I'm sure is the case for many other people, I have a ton of hardware laying around that isn't profitable for bitcoin mining at the moment. Is there something more useful to do with my S1, S5, S7 that's taking up space other than a once expensive paperweight?

Is anyone having good experiences with multiminers that just throw hash power at altcoins?

I've got a few scrypt miners that I use to convert various alt to BTC regularly but my ASICs are much more high powered and efficient, is there something else to be done with them?

Got friends and family bugging you to explain Bitcoin? Point them to https://bitcoinfaq.info for some answers. I've built the site to have simple answers to complete newcomers and info on what is involved in getting started with mining.

I'm openly taking questions and updating the site with answers and walk-throughs.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
steven0021

Activity: 629
Merit: 501

Experientia docet

View Profile
July 08, 2016, 03:12:32 PM

You can only use SHA-256 Application-Specific Integration Circuit to mine other SHA-256 coins. I think some people may be willing to take it of your hand for reduced price.

▄▄███████▄▄                           ▄      ▄
   ██████████████▄                       ███    ███
  ███▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀████                     ███    ███
  █████████████▄ ▀███                    ███    ███   █▄ ▄▄
   ▀████▄  ▄▄███  ▀███                   ███    ███  ▄████
   ▄███████████   ▄███                  ███    ███  ▀▀███▀▀
   ███           ▄███         ▄▄▄▄      ███    ███     █    ▄▄  ▄▄▄▄
  ▄███     ▄▄▄▄█████        ▄█████▄    ▄██▀   ▄██▀    ███   █████████
  ███▄    ████████         ▄███▀▀███   ███    ███    ███▀   █████▀████
   ███     ▀▀█████▄      ▄█████▄ ███   ███    ███    ███    ████   ███
   ███         ▀███▄     ███▀███ ███  ███▀   ███▀    ███    ███▀   ███
   ███           ███▄    ███  ▀▀ ███  ███    ███    ███▀   ▄███    ███
   ▀██▄           ███    ███▄  ▄███   ███    ███    ███    ███    ███▀
    ███           ▀███▄   ████████    ███    ███    ███    ███    ███
    ▀██            ▀████   ▀████▀      ██     ██    ▀██    ▀█▀    ▀█▀

▄▄▀                ▀▄▄
     ▄ ▀▀                    ▀▀ ▄
   ▄ ▀▀▀                      ▀▀▀ ▄
  ▄▀▀▀                          ▀▀▀▄
 ▀█▄▄                            ▄▄█▀
▄█  ▄                            ▄  █▄
▀█ █▀                            ▀█ █▀
█▄  ▄                            ▄  ▄█
▀█ █                              █ █▀
█▄   █                          █   ▄█
 ██▄█▀                          ▀█▄██
  ▀▀  ▄█                      █▄  ▀▀
  ▀██▄ ▀  █▄              ▄█  ▀ ▄██▀
    ▀▀▀   ██  █▄      ▄█  ██   ▀▀▀
     ▀███▄▄▀  ███    ███  ▀▄▄███▀
        ▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▀    ▀▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀
          ▀▀█████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀
Free Bitcoins
Chat Lottery & Games
Level Up System with Rewards
▄████████▄  ▄████████▄
██      ██  ██      ██
██      ██  ██      ██
██      ██  ██      ██
██      ██  ██      ██
 ████████    ████████
██      ██  ██      ██
██      ██  ██      ██
██      ██  ██      ██
██      ██  ██      ██
▀████████▀  ▀████████▀
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
July 08, 2016, 03:15:12 PM

well you can use them to search google for other uses.

oh wait - nope they dont have that function. or any other function.

they do SHA256 calculations and produce heat in the process. and maybe blink a few LEDs. so unless you strip it for parts its just a cryptocurrency miner and/or space heater

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1849

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
July 08, 2016, 03:21:23 PM

S1 and S5 might be reusable if someone (cough) makes a new hashboard to fit on that chassis.

S7 can be undervolted to around 4TH/950W and get a bit more life out of it.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
Entropize (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2016, 03:29:03 PM

S1 and S5 might be reusable if someone (cough makes a new hashboard to fit on that chassis.

Right now that's the only reason I'm hanging on to them.

Got friends and family bugging you to explain Bitcoin? Point them to https://bitcoinfaq.info for some answers. I've built the site to have simple answers to complete newcomers and info on what is involved in getting started with mining.

I'm openly taking questions and updating the site with answers and walk-throughs.
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1849

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
July 08, 2016, 03:30:37 PM

I've got probably 40 bare chassis around the shop as well for mostly the same reason. Gimme a few months and hopefully I'll have something good for you.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
Entropize (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2016, 03:38:42 PM

Looking forward to it, keep up the good work!

Hannu

Activity: 1061
Merit: 502

RIP: S5, A faithful device long time

View Profile
July 08, 2016, 04:09:01 PM

As I'm sure is the case for many other people, I have a ton of hardware laying around that isn't profitable for bitcoin mining at the moment. Is there something more useful to do with my S1, S5, S7 that's taking up space other than a once expensive paperweight?

Is anyone having good experiences with multiminers that just throw hash power at altcoins?

I've got a few scrypt miners that I use to convert various alt to BTC regularly but my ASICs are much more high powered and efficient, is there something else to be done with them?

I have Antminer S1, look at halving clock. http://bitcoinclock.com/ Difficulty is too much.

BTC: 3Qnnx4cu45Gx4WcksNCnBPu3TaUZ5sKkLo
LTC: LYX1ZH7f4qcXq52AzA6grUYDfDngVz7BEi
XRP: rLrbZMJDdL8eQd7HsW314bCtvE16LTLYkM?dt=1113
densuj
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 08, 2016, 04:20:22 PM

The asic hardware is just for mining one algoritm and it is just for one algoritm of coin and you can use it for mining coins who has same algoritm. That is why we must calculate roi of Investment before we buy some miners hardware.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
July 09, 2016, 07:58:30 AM

I've got probably 40 bare chassis around the shop as well for mostly the same reason. Gimme a few months and hopefully I'll have something good for you.

Very interesting any chassis specifically?  There just is a lot of variance between some.  But I look forward to seeing what you have coming up.

One I have wondered about is all the A1 (Dragon's).  There are a LOT of them out there and after having I would think  lot will be offline gathering dust.  There is the controller, and the PSU that easily reusable.   But heatsinks, pcb's, chips, etc are really not worth much.  So a lot of useless parts that I'm curious what the bigger mines that had them will do with them.  Sit in corner? Scrap metal?     Due to power efficiency I had to get rid of mine quiet a while ago.
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
July 09, 2016, 08:24:00 AM

Can we resell those BeaconBone/Rasberry Pi found on the Antminer S1,S2,S3 & KNC Jupiter controllers?

Maybe they might get like $20 on eBay or something

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
abeandund

Activity: 124
Merit: 15

View Profile
July 09, 2016, 07:41:26 PM

What about the fans on the S3's, would they make good computer case fans?  Would they plug up nice on motherboards pvm, or are they too power hungry and fry a board?

S1 and S5 might be reusable if someone (cough makes a new hashboard to fit on that chassis.

Right now that's the only reason I'm hanging on to them.

I don't have the heart to scrap em down, nor do I have a desire to pawn off on a doe eyed newbie.  Thus, I too will keep obsolete units intact in hope for future updates, but in the mean time since they are just taking up space, I see the fans as only reusable parts, and have a need for better tower fans. 
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
July 09, 2016, 07:50:50 PM

Can we resell those BeaconBone/Rasberry Pi found on the Antminer S1,S2,S3 & KNC Jupiter controllers?

Maybe they might get like $20 on eBay or something

its the older-gen Pi tho, so dont expect much when the Rpi3 is only $40. maybe $10-15 if you're lucky. but its great to convert to a node or some other micro-pc application. In fact, some units sold them with minimalistic controllers that lack ports and some features like audio/hdmi/etc and may have virtually no resale value as it would require being controlled almost entirely by ethernet/ssh

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
adaseb
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2016, 05:43:19 PM

Basically its reaching the point where you need to pay people to take your miners.

I can't even throw them away because in my area electronics/computer equipment need to be recycled, so I need to drive to an recycling station. The garbage men won't take this equipment.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
klaaas

Activity: 1568
Merit: 544

View Profile
July 11, 2016, 09:59:31 PM

My best guess is to take them to the asic museum [somewhere upstrairs where it will bite dust] or the ebay graveyard.
I picked the museum and once in a wile i will check if they are still alive and put them back again.

Shopping online and sats back as a discount! (satsback) + LightningNetwork
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
July 12, 2016, 12:25:12 AM

My best guess is to take them to the asic museum [somewhere upstrairs where it will bite dust] or the ebay graveyard.
I picked the museum and once in a wile i will check if they are still alive and put them back again.

I would go the ebay route personally, I sell almost all of my old gear before it get's that dated.  With paying electricity there is a point I can sell gear to "free electricity" or cheap electricity users.  It just makes sense doing this then having them sitting there collecting dust.  I sold my last S7 the other day.    And I will take that twords new gear, or buy BTC.

Only one's I wish I would have kept was a few of my asic miner USB sticks from long long ago.  But I guess I could rebuy if I really wanted today for less then I sold them.   I had around 80 I believe at highest point. But I don't regret selling my miner's on to new owners really has helped ROI by doing it with every big minesr.
GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 12, 2016, 02:44:53 AM

They make fun shooting targets =)

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
adaseb
Legendary

View Profile
July 12, 2016, 03:15:39 AM

I looked at the Antminer S2 Controller. It comes with a Beaglebone Black and an Cyclone IV FPGA.

Anyway to mine Qubit/Quark/X11 with that FGPA? You can probably reprogram it to hash any algo.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
DebitMe
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1011

Get Paid Crypto To Walk or Drive

View Profile
July 12, 2016, 03:29:36 AM

ASIC = 1 application.  They do nothing but hash the SHA256 function.

Get paid crypto to walk or drive. Play CoinHuntWorld! Earn Hundreds Monthly!
https://coinhunt.gsc.im/IZIijYr64Q
Entropize (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2016, 02:32:06 PM

what other coin (sha256) are you mining with your asics? are s7s now more profitable mining something other than bitcoin?

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: